Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hibox Mtn (10/12/02)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Oct 13, 2002 11:27 pm 
My original plan was to head up to Yellow Aster Butte and capture some fall scenery, but given I needed to be home early to pack my suitcase for a flight the next morning I decided to look for something a little closer to home. Thumbing through my 75 Scrambles book, Hibox Mtn quickly rose to the top of the list. I'd admired this peak many a time from Rampart Ridge / Rachel Lake / Alta Mtn, not to mention Mineral Creek, and was looking forward to the views from the opposite direction. The route is relatively simple. Hike the Rachel Lake trail about 2.5 miles and after the second clearing (per the 75 Scrambles book) follow an obvious boot path heading right. This "trail" goes a short distance before fading out in the vicinity of a downed log. I traversed this log into open forest and (not finding an obvious trail) ascended the ridge, keeping a safe distance from the brush on the right. At around 4000', after climbing a steep and brushy gully (and swearing I must be way off route) I stumbled upon a nice trail. This trail stays well defined most of the way up before fading into a myriad of paths near the summit. Below the summit I passed by a steep gully which the 75 scrambles book cautioned against ascending due to loose rock. I heeded this warning and was glad I did when several large rocks came tumbling down minutes later as I was heading up toward the ridge on the right. Upon reaching the rigde I was rewarded with fabulous views of Mineral Creek, Three Queens, Mt Daniel, and Stone Kingdom. The scramble to the summit from the ridge was somewhat exposed, but easily ascended with due care. There was a dusting of 1" of snow on the summit, but the register was plainly visible (hanging from a cable attached to a large rock). After putting on a few layers to combat an icy cold breeze, I signed the summit regiser and spent half an hour or so snapping pictures. When my fingers were frozen numb I decided it was time to put on gloves, scarf down a bagel or two, and pack up. Curiously enough, on my way down I lost the trail at roughly the same point I had found it on the way up. I attempted to find a continuation of the trail on both the left and right, and paid dearly for it before eventually deciding the route I followed up was the way to go. Hmm, pockets of thick brush was another thing the 75 Scrambles book warned about. hmmm.gif Stats: 10 miles R/T. 4000' or gain. 4 hours up / 2.5 hours down. Still working on my pics. Here's a 360° panorama from the summit:
360° Panorama From Hibox Mtn
360° Panorama From Hibox Mtn
Edit: Finally got around to putting up the rest of my pictures.
Hibox Mtn From Rachel Lake Trail
Hibox Mtn From Rachel Lake Trail
Fall Colors En-Route To Hibox Mtn
Fall Colors En-Route To Hibox Mtn
Hibox Mtn From Trail
Hibox Mtn From Trail
Rachel Lake From Trail To Hibox Mtn
Rachel Lake From Trail To Hibox Mtn
Approaching Hibox Mtn
Approaching Hibox Mtn
Chikamin Peak, Lemah Mtn, Chimney Rock, Glacier Peak, Summit Chief, Bears Breast, Mt Daniel, And Park Lakes From Hibox Mtn
Chikamin Peak, Lemah Mtn, Chimney Rock, Glacier Peak, Summit Chief, Bears Breast, Mt Daniel, And Park Lakes From Hibox Mtn
Three Queens From Hibox Mtn (Mt Stuart To Distant Right)
Three Queens From Hibox Mtn (Mt Stuart To Distant Right)
Rampart Ridge And Rachel Lake From Hibox Mtn
Rampart Ridge And Rachel Lake From Hibox Mtn
Chair Peak, Kaleetan Peak, Snoqualmie Mtn, Lundin Peak, Red Mtn And Alta Mtn From Hibox Mtn
Chair Peak, Kaleetan Peak, Snoqualmie Mtn, Lundin Peak, Red Mtn And Alta Mtn From Hibox Mtn
Mt Thompson, Alaska Mtn, Huckleberry Mtn And Big Snow Mtn From Hibox Mtn
Mt Thompson, Alaska Mtn, Huckleberry Mtn And Big Snow Mtn From Hibox Mtn
Chikamin Peak, Lemah Mtn, Chimney Rock, Glacier Peak And Upper Park Lake From Hibox Mtn
Chikamin Peak, Lemah Mtn, Chimney Rock, Glacier Peak And Upper Park Lake From Hibox Mtn
Lila Lake From Hibox Mtn
Lila Lake From Hibox Mtn
Mineral Creek Valley From Hibox Mtn
Mineral Creek Valley From Hibox Mtn
Kachess Lake From Hibox Mtn
Kachess Lake From Hibox Mtn
Looking Back To Hibox Mtn
Looking Back To Hibox Mtn
Saying Goodbye To Hibox Mtn
Saying Goodbye To Hibox Mtn

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Oct 20, 2002 9:05 am 
Amazing pic Tom. I really like the 3-d effect it gives. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostMon Oct 21, 2002 9:24 am 
Gosh, that panoramic mt. tops were just unbelievable. Great work, gives some of us something to work towards. Thanks for sharing. Ice Girl

PostMon Oct 21, 2002 11:46 am 
Tom, if you could post about 200 more of these 360s I'd never have to hike again. biggrin.gif I'd like one from Challenger, one from Desolation, Logan, Ruth, Eldorado, Glacier, Fortress.......

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostTue Oct 29, 2002 5:45 am 
Tom wrote:
Finally got around to putting up the rest of my pictures.
up.gif up.gif Gorgeous pics

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160