Forum Index > Trail Talk > Stetattle ridge-terror basin traverse
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
adam

adam
PostMon Aug 22, 2005 3:08 pm 
As long as I'm asking for info on technical, non-solo hiking routes.... What is the route from Stetattle Ridge (The ridge of Sourdough mountain and Elephant butte) that traverses below McMillan spire and above Azure lake like? Becky's guide shows it as a dotted line on one of his maps, but if he describes it, I missed it. The old Routes and Rocks guide describes it as fairly straightforward, but also puts a question mark in the middle, which doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. But surely people have done it several times since then. Any descriptions/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message

PostMon Aug 22, 2005 3:32 pm 
Stetattle Ridge. It's long, but straightforward. The ? in the middle probably refers to getting across Torrent Cr gorge and up and around EB. PM me if you have any specific questions.

adam

adam
PostMon Aug 22, 2005 3:49 pm 
Whoops-- thanks for the spelling correction. I just knew is was something difficult to pronounce. The torrent creek part I'm confident that I can figure out. it's continuing the ridge to it's end and then traversing west underneath macmillian spire to the ridge that seperates terror basin from azure lake cirque. that's where the question mark is. thanks, adam

PostMon Aug 22, 2005 4:07 pm 
adam wrote:
it's continuing the ridge to it's end and then traversing west underneath macmillian spire to the ridge that seperates terror basin from azure lake cirque.
Either Larry or Ibex did it years ago. Described it as tenuous as I recall. biggrin.gif The apex of the ridge where the thin line of snow runs out directly under McMillan is the area of concern. Be best to stock up on water whenever possible too. Might be getting kind of dry up there.

adam

adam
PostWed Aug 24, 2005 10:58 am 
I got this from a query on cascadeclimbers.com: "I've traversed this ridge in both directions, but not in quite a few years. When I did it, it was a fun scramble with some exposure in places, but not intimidating. Since then however I've talked to two people who had to turn back on this ridge. One of these people is a friend with climbing skills well above mine and this has made me wonder if some geologic event has occurred on the ridge since my last traverse of it." Unfortunately the previous incarnation, rather than the present, is what I'm after.

Tazz

Tazz
PostWed Aug 24, 2005 11:11 am 
hey adam All I know is about the Terror basin part I climbed west mac spire with dicey a few weks back here is the TR we did traverse from the pass over to the overlook at Azure lake. I also wrote a route discrition with pics of the route it might help you a little bit

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Aug 24, 2005 12:02 pm 
Whatever you do, I have heard getting down to Stettatle creek is one bad place to go. Bushwacking is somewhere in the "12" on the scale of 1-10.

Art is an adventure.
Chenviro55!

Chenviro55!
PostTue Mar 26, 2013 6:48 am 
On a similar note, wondering if it is possible to descend from Stetattle R to Big Beaver trail via the stream that drains from Stetattle Ridge / Elephant Butte pass to McMillan, and then on to BB. Thinking about doing a route that would involve that section, but haven't found any info on it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

WolverineWay

WolverineWay
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 10:45 am 
Chenviro55! wrote:
On a similar note, wondering if it is possible to descend from Stetattle R to Big Beaver trail via the stream that drains from Stetattle Ridge / Elephant Butte pass to McMillan, and then on to BB. Thinking about doing a route that would involve that section, but haven't found any info on it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I have your answer, as I did on Tuesday this week. I would not recommend it to anyone in their right mind! It truly is terrain only fit for a wolverine (and I believe I saw one near the top). First, find your way down 3rd class terrain with brush and ubiquitous looseness (I call my least favorite bits, the hardpack soil with fir needles, the "Death Needles"), avoiding many larger cliffs which are hard to spot from above. I used a pre-planned GPS track combining Google Earth Pro on my desktop at home and AllTrails Pro on my phone for recording the hike, which is here: https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/elephants-in-jacobs-ladder-72c2519 If you succeed at that part, no matter which route you pick off the far north end of the ridge, you'll encounter nearly impossible slide alder, loose rock, rotten logs, and other difficulties. I chose to sidehill to try and reach the creek sooner and with a bit more certainty than taking the ridge closer to McMillan Creek, since I was alone and afraid of falling off a cliff in "one of the most remote areas in the continental U.S." (direct quote from Steph Abegg). I therefore learned how impossible it is to sidehill in slide alder, especially with a pack on! I was repeating Stefan's words above, which were
Stefan wrote:
bushwhacking somewhere in the "12" on the scale of 1-10.
When I finally hit the lateral moraine, I was so excited to depart the brush, that I hopped onto it a little too enthusiastically. I soon wished I had pulled the ice axe off my pack to help prevent me from sliding down 50' on my fingertips attempting to get traction. Like tiny ball bearings on a skating rink tilted to 60 degrees. I was gripped! Luckily I hike with a whippet that I occasionally use in a mixed style, so I was able to chop some terrible holds with it like bad ice, but dirtier. Unfortunately, the creek bed was not much friendlier and my right ankle was now worked. Every rock wanted to move, no matter how large. Nothing could be trusted. Then comes the crossing of the roaring McMillan Creek (I did find a very fortunate log that spanned it with support halfway across), and a few more miles of ancient forest bushwhacking (slightly to much preferable to the slide alder, but I was still stumbling off 4' fallen cedars onto Devil's Club) until you FINALLY reach the Big Beaver Valley trail. I started a 7am and reached the main trail at 4pm to start my next objective, which was Mt. Prophet. I think that is 6 miles as the crow flies, max! So yeah, 1hr 30mins per mile. 5 hours from the north end of Stetattle Ridge to McMillan Creek and many matches burned. I repeat, this is terrain I believe is not intended for humans to traverse! However, if you must, take the ridgeline further north and descend just before the last major cliffband facing Luna Peak. You will still bushwhack, but at least it will be downhill in the same direction as the slide alder. You will also be past the lateral moraine. God speed. As a final note, I considered descending directly from my camp on the north end of Stetattle Ridge to the pass between Elephant Butte and Stetattle, as it looked reasonable from above, but I stuck to my planned route. Looking up from below, I cannot say that looked any safer with large cliff bands and steep creek bed. I am still questioning my sanity as I did many times that day. However, I am here to tell the tale, so that says something. I can add photos if anyone is interested. However, I'm hoping this description makes anyone and everyone very disinterested. You're welcome.

Waterman

Waterman
PostFri Aug 21, 2020 2:16 pm 
Sounds like a off trail classic bushwack not to be forgotten.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost