Forum Index > Trip Reports > Car camp on Chumstick Mtn
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 16, 2002 3:01 pm 
Not a hiking trip, but we had a great time in good weather and warm temps on the summit both days. Good fall colors all the way up, spectacular 360 degree views from the summit, and great conditions for flying RC gliders. Normally I would not post a car trip report (Tom, is this kosher?) except for the events of Sunday afternoon, when some hawks came through riding excellent smooth afternoon lift along the Entiat ridgeline. One in particular took interest in my flying wing and persisted in following me around for quite a while. I flew mellow and smoothly and successfully got the hawk to follow me down closer to our location for some pics. They were not aggressive, bird attacks are common but this fellow did not make high speed attack runs, he would tuck in just above and behind me, often within feet of the aircraft, and put his feet down as if attempting to land or grab my plane while maintaining his position. For pics of the trip including some cool ones of birds following my plane, go here: the last one is really pretty darned neat. http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b308dcb9a407 I have larger format pics, the last closeup of the hawk is especially spectacular, here it is in it's full glory, you can clearly see the hawks markings. What type of hawk is this? Is it even a hawk? For a guy who spends a lot of time flying with these magnificent creatures, I oughtta learn what is who.
my feathered friend checks me out
my feathered friend checks me out

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message