Forum Index > Gear Talk > Marmot sleeping bags
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostThu Oct 17, 2002 7:33 am 
I am considering getting another down sleeping bag and was looking at Marmot's line. From what I've heard they are well made and rated accurately. I currently own a couple WM bags, one REI and one TNF; all down. The TNF and REI bags are mediocre quality and was looking to get better ones. Do any of you own a Marmot bag? How do they compare to WM bags? Also if you know where they are or will be on sale that would help too. Thanks.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 17, 2002 1:45 pm 
Are you looking for a lightweight bag and/or do you plan to use it in a hammock? The Marmot Hydrogen is a nice ultralight bag but only has a half zipper. I've only heard good things about quality, but wouldn't recommend a half zip bag if you plan to use it inside a hammock (think putting on a straight jacket). I've been really impressed by my WM Megalite - same weight as the Hydrogen but with a full zipper. I also considered the full zip Marmot Arroyo but it weighed in at quite a bit more than the Megalite (and 2 oz. over mfr. specs). As far as sales, you can usually get Marmot bags cheap (to the extent they're in stock) when www.thesnowleopard.com is running one of their 20% off promotions (happens 3-4 times a year - sign up for their mailing list).

salish

salish
PostFri Oct 18, 2002 10:51 am 
Steve, I bought a Marmot Arroyo at last years's REI sale for $99, and I've been very happy with it. The quality seems to be pretty good and it keeps me warm down to the temps advertised (30 degrees). I like it's weight (1 lb, 12oz) and the fact that it's about the size of a loaf of bread when it's in it's stuff sack. I have no experience with the other Marmot bags, and I don't even know if they make this one anymore. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Dante

Dante
PostFri Oct 18, 2002 11:18 am 
I've got two Marmot bags and no complaints. I have an ancient Marmot Grouse semi-rectangular bag and a newer Gore-Tex version. They are really well made. When it came time to find a successor for the older, lighter bag, I looked at both the Hydrogen and the WM Megalite. I went with the Megalite, but mainly for the full-length zipper. WM might make a slightly better bag, but both brands are right up there and the Marmots are WAY easier to find on sale.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Oct 18, 2002 8:09 pm 
I got an Arroyo last winter and have about 30 nights in it so far. It really needs to go to the laundromat. It's been a good bag, though if I had this purchase to do again I would get the lighter weight one, the Helium I think, though I know I would hate the short zipper. I got mine at an REI garage sale for $112. Tom, I could have sworn you bought an Arroyo at one point. Am I losing my mind? dizzy.gif If money is no object get a Feathered Friends bag and have it custom built to your specs. I know REI is doing some testing for new lightweight bags that will be more affordable and otherwise comparable to the Marmot bags.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Oct 18, 2002 11:20 pm 
Allison, I did purchase an Arroyo. In the end I couldn't justify the 6oz of extra weight over the Megalite and returned it. I forgot to mention I really like the face muff on Marmot bags (that was one reason I was tried out the Arroyo). Also, as far as sales, you can usually get 10% off regular prices at www.travelcountry.com if you mention code BR549. They have a good selection of Marmot and WM bags.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat Oct 19, 2002 12:02 am 
BR549? Hah! Is that just a coincidence, or am I the only hick that knows what that is? huh.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Nov 02, 2002 10:37 am 
I own Marmot (worked there for 4 years) Feathered Friends, and Western Mountaineering bags. They are all GOOD bags. My vote for the best goes to Western. The quality and workmanship kicks ass! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat Nov 02, 2002 11:04 am 
I guess no one else knows the source of "BR549" then. I win the hick award. huh.gif

Quark

Quark
PostSat Nov 02, 2002 7:10 pm 
Michael: BR-549 is "Hee-Haw's" Junior Sample's phone number! BR-549 was in serious contention for my UW email address. It lost out to a more boring address, however. I don't know why; just like I don't know why BR549 stuck with me all these years. If I could just retain more useful information somehow....

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Nov 03, 2002 9:12 am 
Arroyo
Cliff
Quote:
I bought a Marmot Arroyo at last years's REI sale for $99, and I've been very happy with it. The quality seems to be pretty good and it keeps me warm down to the temps advertised (30 degrees). I like it's weight (1 lb, 12oz) and the fact that it's about the size of a loaf of bread when it's in it's stuff sack. I have no experience with the other Marmot bags, and I don't even know if they make this one anymore.
No, this version of the Arroyo was replaced by the newer version and IMO, you got a fantastic deal. I originally paid twice what you did and I feel it is a terrific bag that can be used late spring, summer and early fall. I have two other bags, each one has its reason for being in my gear closet but the Marmot is still my favorite. The other two: WM highlight (great for summertime) and a Big Agnes Zirkel (great for Hennessy Hammock camping)

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Dante

Dante
PostMon Nov 04, 2002 12:31 pm 
Big Agnes
The Big Agnes Horse Thief is another nice lightweight bag. I would have considered it seriously had it been available last time I bought a bag. It weighs about the same as my WM Megalite, but all the down is on top, so I've got to believe the 35 degree rating is somewhat conservative. You could cut a closed-cell foam pad to fit the sleeve to get a light, warm affordable sleep system.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu May 29, 2003 2:27 pm 
Just in case anyone is looking for a good deal on a marmot bag, thesnowleopard.com is offering 20% off everything tomorrow only (5/30) - use coupon code FRI20 at checkout. This equates to some really good deals on marmot sleeping bags (which are already on sale). For example, after 20% off, the marmot hydrogen will be $191 (unless they take it off sale tomorrow).

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri May 30, 2003 12:18 am 
I've now used my Arroyo for 18 months and it is still my most favorite bag. up.gif up.gif up.gif Retracting previous statement regarding short zip. Can be lighter weight zip, but must have full length, my one compalin these days is that my fat ass feels extra fat in this extra skinny bag. Restless sleepers and fat asses beware. hockeygrin.gif rant.gif eek.gif mad.gif waah.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri May 30, 2003 8:17 am 
It may be of little consideration, but at least with Marmot you have a place to go if you have problems with your bag! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln