Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Warning! Arts Plug
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Feb 13, 2010 2:53 pm 
Cappella Romana at St Demetrios Orthodox Church tonight. If you haven't heard this choir specializing in Byzantine chant, you're missing out (sound bites on website, browse around to find them on the CD store page). Likewise, if you haven't seen the Byzantian mosaics at this church, you're missing out (Fuhrman Ave in the Montlake neighborhood). Be there, or be square up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostSun Apr 11, 2010 11:21 am 
"The roses are sighing a Moonlight Serenade..." I attended a nice concert last night by the new version of the Glenn Miller Orchestra. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif The set list included: Strike Up the Band Little Brown Jug It's a Blue World Tuxedo Junction Lights Out Hold Me Tight Pennsylvania 65000 Mission to Moscow It's Always You Goody Goody Chatanooga Choo Choo I've Got a Girl in Kalamazoo When I Fall In Love St. Louis Blues March Chelsea Bridge String of Pearls Hello Young Lovers All or Nothing At All Jukebox Saturday Night I'll Never Smile Again In the Mood Traffic Jam As their last concert is this afternoon, it is probably too late for anyone to go, so why is this an arts plug? Well, because it was a great concert! But also I noticed that in one of the symphony brochures, the following pluggable event is also coming to town: September 16-19 Live and Let Die: A Tribute to Paul McCartney Conductor Martin Hermann with the Seattle Symphony So there you have it--the next best thing to hearing Sir Paul McCartney in person! Mark it on your calendars! One can only think that an ABBA tribute will be in future season's programming.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostFri Jun 25, 2010 10:13 am 
This weekend I'm playing in a little band for the Seattle Men's and Women's Chorus and it's turned out to be one of my most favorite all time gigs. If you are in to show tunes and serious entertainment then you should check it out
GLITTER AND BE GAY Link We are thrilled to close our 30th Anniversary Season with an exciting collaboration between Seattle Men’s Chorus and Seattle Women’s Chorus, joining forces for the first time ever in an extravaganza we’re calling GLITTER AND BE GAY. The concert is a tribute to two great American composers: Leonard Bernstein, a prodigy renowned for his energy and talents as both a conductor and composer; and Stephen Sondheim, the undisputed master of the modern Broadway musical. The concert will feature music from Bernstein and Sondheim’s collaborations, as well as their individual careers. Expect to be transported to musical heaven when artistic director Dennis Coleman pulls out all the stops and more than 400-voices take the stage of McCaw Hall to perform such Broadway classics as: West Side Story Sunday in the Park with George Wonderful Town Sweeney Todd Candide A Little Night Music This sparkling program, aptly named after the song from Candide, “Glitter and Be Gay” is destined to be a show to remember for decades to come, and the perfect ending to our 30th anniversary season. McCAW HALL Friday, June 25 - 8 pm Saturday, June 26 - 8 pm

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSun Jun 27, 2010 11:21 am 
COX & BOX What more can you say? Well, OK, HMS Pinafore is on the bill too. July 9-24. I'll be playing the highest instrument in the pit.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostThu Jul 08, 2010 8:10 am 
HMS Pinafore/Cox and Box
Opening night is this Friday. If you are a Gilbert & Sullivan geek or a fan of Dave Ross (he plays Dick Dead Eye) you need to check this out. Preview Free Air Conditioning! wink.gif

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostSun Aug 08, 2010 7:42 am 
Sounds like Coyotebell's orchestra is doing well: congrats! They're pulling through, even in this wretched economy. The hard work is paying off.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSun Aug 08, 2010 8:47 am 
Yay, I didn't sound like too much of an idiot. Thanks Dogpatch. Things are looking up for the group (fingers crossed).

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Dec 05, 2010 3:27 pm 
Northwest Chamber Chorus, featuring More Cowbell on the flute. Northwest Chamber Chorus is among the best of the local choirs. We attended the winter concert at Phinney Ridge last night, and the 2nd performance is tonight at Plymouth Congregational Church. Guest alto-soprano and tenor are amazing, the the Chorus' own tenor solo is pretty darn sweet ( might have my voice categories mixed up, but "tenor" is always my fave, and sopranos make my ears itch and my brain twitch, so this here one ain't one of those, though there is one of those, too) You don't have to dress up for this stuff, by the way. Just show up.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSun Dec 05, 2010 6:26 pm 
Thanks Quark. It was a little smaller audience today. I think last night's performance was the best too.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Dec 06, 2010 1:52 am 
Quark wrote:
I’m willing to let BPO persuade me to like Prokofiev
if suffering through his "Romeo and Juliet" didn't do it, try this ( or this one for an enhanced visual experience ) ( * that's just the fourth movement of the symphony... click around on that youtube page for the rest of it... ) apologies for not having noticed this thread before. bk smile.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSat Dec 11, 2010 12:56 pm 
$20 Tickets at the Door Staying home because of the horrid weather out there? Check out Handel's Messiah. Sing along with the Hallelujah Chorus if you so desire. I'm not playing as Handel was a dork who didn't write the flutes into his Masterpiece but I will be there taking tickets. Sunday, December 12, 2010 at 5:00 pm The Bellevue Philharmonic presents Handel’s Messiah, the world’s most popular choral work. This glorious oratorio has become a Bellevue Philharmonic tradition with its blend of elegant melodies, thrilling choruses and brilliant orchestrations. The BPO will be collecting toys for the Forgotten Children's Fund at the Messiah concert. Michael Miropolsky, Music Director/Conductor with the Bellevue Chamber Chorus Dr. Fredrick Lokken, Music Director. Janeanne Houston, Soprano Melissa Plagemann, Mezzo-Soprano Stephen Rumph, Tenor Charles Robert Stephens, Baritone Location: Westminster Chapel 13646 NE 24th St Bellevue, WA 98004 Tickets $15-$35 (Union member discount only $20) Contact: Rosemary Townsend info@bellevuephil.org 425-455-4171 http://bellevuephil.org/?p=406 http://www.westminster.org/about/directions/

ree

ree
PostSat Dec 11, 2010 3:30 pm 
Mmmm, manly Miropolsky...!!! Hubba hubba hot conductor. hockeygrin.gif up.gif

Gil

Gil
PostWed Dec 22, 2010 10:58 pm 
The Northwest Boychoir and VocalPoint! Seattle are finishing taping of a PBS special as I write. Last night, they performed with the Northwest Sinfonia at Benaroya Hall. The place was packed -- and I was very proud to watch my son and daughter sing in that hall. But it was bittersweet: It's Graeme's final season with the group. He'll have a few more performances with VocalPoint ending as summer begins. It's been quite a ride for a young man and his parents! If you didn't get a chance to hear the Benaroya concert, it will be rebroadcast on KING-FM 98.1 at 9 p.m. Christmas Eve.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
ree

ree
PostThu Dec 23, 2010 12:37 pm 
Hey, we went to that concert last weekend at Trinity Lutheran. It was awesome. up.gif Congratulations. Your kids were great.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Dec 23, 2010 1:08 pm 
Hey, we were there too! We could have had a social. Loved the negro spiritual. up.gif [edit - we went to the West Seattle concert at Holy Rosary. Trinity Lutheran was the NW Chamber Chorus concert the week before....]. Still - it was fun seeing your names on the brochure and trying to pronounce your last name.