Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Warning! Arts Plug
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ree

ree
PostWed Jun 21, 2006 1:06 am 
Art is its own discipline, yet if there's some mastery in a given field, it's referred to as "art." Is that really art or not?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jun 21, 2006 1:12 am 
Quote:
Is that really art or not?
Mastery, is in and of itself, not generally considered art. Ree, I don't think you need the peanut gallery to try to explain that. You already know that answer. tongue.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
touron

touron
PostWed Jun 21, 2006 7:03 am 
It depends on the discipline, but the concept can be stretched f'shure.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
ree

ree
PostWed Jun 21, 2006 8:22 am 
I'm sure the Oracle of Oil will show up and bestow wisdom upon us.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Jun 21, 2006 8:30 am 
Screw that. I'm way too busy today.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
ree

ree
PostWed Jun 21, 2006 8:34 am 
It matters not that you are busy. Words of wisdom will be spilled whether you like it or not.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jun 21, 2006 10:03 am 
WHAT i LIKE ABOUT sHakespeare are the way the words are put together. Even the agony of Lear, or the pains of Hamlet, or the slime and ooze of the fertile Nile in Antony & Cleo, or the descritpion of Antonio's tragic shipwreck in Merchant are beautiful. I always read the plays twice or three times or more. The first read of a Shakespeare play is what it's like to be a slow-witted child, reading just to read with no comprehension, or like the character Hazel in Steinbeck's Cannery Row, who talks and listens only to hear the pretty words. The second read is when the story comes together. I've tried to read that stuff out loud, and boy is it ever a mess to do. It sounds stupid at first. To do it right, to keep the rhythm of the language without tripping over it - takes exceptional talent and time, time, time. Either that, or the actors are crazy. Or both. What I hate is when I get the plays confused and the plots mixed up. It drives me nuts. It happens all the time, and I haven't even read half of them.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
johnahl

johnahl
PostWed Jun 21, 2006 12:02 pm 
Quark wrote:
What I hate is when I get the plays confused and the plots mixed up. It drives me nuts. It happens all the time, and I haven't even read half of them.
Yeah,... I can never remember which is Mickey's best friend and which one is his pet,... Goofy or Pluto. They're both dogs for crying out loud.

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostWed Jun 21, 2006 12:07 pm 
johnahl wrote:
Quark wrote:
What I hate is when I get the plays confused and the plots mixed up. It drives me nuts. It happens all the time, and I haven't even read half of them.
Yeah,... I can never remember which is Mickey's best friend and which one is his pet,... Goofy or Pluto. They're both dogs for crying out loud.
rotf.gif ykm.gif

don't believe everything you think
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Oct 27, 2006 11:14 pm 
Seattle Shakes' "The Winter's Tale." Thru Nov 19th. I wasn't that thrilled about going, 'cause it's not my favorite one to read, but tonight this skyrocketed to among the top o' my faves by Seattle Shakepeare Company. I'm no expert, but I know what I like & this one was up there with some of my other favorites done by these folks. My only qualification is that I've been a groupie for a few years. I'm a hack, if you want to know the truth. But really, this was good.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSat Oct 28, 2006 8:05 am 
Quark wrote:
Sweeney Todd's [/url] coming to the 5th Ave. It's hilarious. The Sondheim operetic (is that a word?) ditties aren't your typical arias. I've seen Sweeney Todd twice, the first time by mistake at the UW, the second at Kirkland Peformance Center.
Nothing like responding to a year and a half old thread but I was playing on stage at the Kirkland show. What a wild story and the lyrics were in my head for weeks. Now I know who to offer my unwanted comp tickets to for these sorts of things. Some of the musicians are obsessed with this show and know all the lyrics. I have a colleague who was singing on stage for the 5th ave production and she had some great stories about opening night mishaps (the little elevator that Sweeny Todd was supposed to rise up on didn't work and only his head was showing above the stage...)

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 10:32 am 
More Cowbell wrote:
I was playing on stage at the Kirkland show.
Wow, that's pretty cool. I liked the Kirkland performance quite a bit more than the one at the 5th. The Kirklands' Mrs. Lovett was a lot better IMO. I like the "chamber" performances better for the most part. Too much stuff on stage and the bigger productions are too "canned" for me. 5th Ave is alright, but I really like the smaller ones better. I noticed this with Dick 3. Seattle Shakes did it last year - it was fantastic (and is another of my favorites they have done). Intiman did it too - a much more elaborate production - I wasn't enamored so much. If anyone is interested in seeing "The Winter's Tale," I'm up for a repeat.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 1:10 pm 
I really had fun for that production. It was seriously low budget and we only had a few rehearsals. Last year we did Fiorello which was good show music but not nearly so provocative. Most everyone involved with that company is from Village Theatre so it's like a big happy family. There's nothing fun like that on my calendar yet this season bawl.gif I do get to finally play in a Messiah this year. Normally, my instrument is not required but Mozart (Oops, I'm posting about Mozart) arranged Handel's Messiah for a larger orchestra and I'll be playing that with the Seattle Choral Co. this December.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 1:22 pm 
I hope you'll give us a heads-up when it's Messiah time. Music is one of the really good things about that time of year. (The rest of the season makes me want to hide.)

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostSun Oct 29, 2006 1:26 pm 
Mozart hurl.gif