Forum Index > Trip Reports > Park Butte 9-10-05
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSat Sep 10, 2005 6:39 pm 
After weighing all my options (including soccer games, carpool negotiations, mileage/gas prices, weather and destinations) I finally opted to make another attempt at Park Butte. In the past I've only made it to the lookout once... today makes the second time!! biggrin.gif The weather was almost perfect (although most of Baker was hidden the majority of the time)... great blueberries, scenic trail and a lot less people than I expected. We met a Ranger just as we stepped out of the car who informed us that tomorrow they will be removing the seasonal bridge for the winter. Good timing!
Hiding Mt Baker
Hiding Mt Baker
Park Butte lookout
Park Butte lookout
Mt Baker
Mt Baker
Park Butte Lookout
Park Butte Lookout
Blueberries are THIS way!
Blueberries are THIS way!
I was very satisfied with my choice for the day.

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tazz

Tazz
PostSat Sep 10, 2005 6:50 pm 
thanks E great pics fresh SNOW!!!!!! yahoo!!!! we need a dancing snowman or a dancing anything

Trevor

Trevor
PostSat Sep 10, 2005 7:15 pm 
Thanks for a visual condition update.!

Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSun Sep 11, 2005 9:24 am 
Not to be nit-picky - but the 'closeup' mountain photo I took above isn't actually Mt. Baker. I think it's the black buttes, Mt. Baker is just to the right, the upward slope is the beginning of Baker. Just want to avoid any confusion in the event someone decides to plan a trip using this photo as the basis for their trip. dizzy.gif

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
TravelHiker

TravelHiker
PostFri Sep 23, 2005 6:46 pm 
so when they say they're going to remove the seasonal bridge, what does that mean for the trail? Are there alternate routes?

Always take the scenic route.
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostFri Sep 23, 2005 9:38 pm 
Removing the seasonal bridge means you can attempt a rock-hop across the creek... or make an attempt at wading... at your own risk, of course. The usual risks apply... just because you can rock-hop across in the morning doesn't guarantee an easy return rock-hop. Rains and warm weather can increase the creek volume, so use good judgement. A few years ago, I visited the area before the seasonal bridge was installed and ended up removing my shoes/socks because I couldn't find a suitable alternative. It was less than knee deep and similar conditions on the return. Since then it's changed it's course to another channel - thus requiring a new seasonal bridge location. The 'Seasonal' bridge is just that... seasonal. It's removed each fall and replaced each spring (June, usually I think).

TravelHiker

TravelHiker
PostFri Sep 23, 2005 10:20 pm 
muchas gracias!

Always take the scenic route.