Forum Index > Trip Reports > Nimbus, Thor, and K9
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostFri Sep 23, 2005 12:50 pm 
Thursday, 9/22/2005 Destinations: Nimbus Mtn. (6711 ft), Thor Peak (6804 ft), and K9 Peak (6242 ft) Mike Collins and I began this lovely day hike by headed up to the Tunnel Creek trailhead. At the trailhead we made our way quickly up the Tunnel Creek Trail to where it connects with the PCT at Hope Lake. From the lake we hiked the PCT to the pass above Trap Lake. We met a few thru hikers on our way and gave them some of our food for the day. Once at the pass we found a path that led us in the direction of Thunder Mtn. Lakes and followed the path until it was lost in rocky terrain. We continued on to the highest Thunder Lake before headed up towards Nimbus. The true summit of Nimbus is a giant rock and we used a shoulder stand to get up and down (could be done without one). After Nimbus we worked our way east to the saddle west of Thor. From the saddle reaching the summit was an easy hike up. We made our decent from Thor by dropped down to the thin, narrow tarn at 5440+. We then followed the creek to the approximate elevation of Trap Lake and then contoured over to the lake. The lake has a little trail to it and we followed the trail to connect with the PCT at approx. 5300ft. On the way back to the car we made the short jaunt up the southwest ridge of K9 for our third and final peak of the day. I had done K9 back in June, but it was worth repeating. It was great to get out and climb some more peaks with Mike. We had a wonderful, sun filled day for this nice little trip. The chill of fall has definitely returned the mountains. Notes: Trip time 9.5 hours. Gain about 6000ft over 14 miles.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tazz

Tazz
PostFri Sep 23, 2005 1:25 pm 
nice job guys. Did the thru hikers give there trail names? I ask because I was thinking it might be some of Pete's 'MetroGnome' trail friends. He went out and found 'Bearcant' and posted it here. I was just wondering where some of the others might be and if it was them. BTW it was a very nice gesture to give them some food up.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Sep 23, 2005 1:47 pm 
up.gif up.gif , did you guys do Thunder Mtn. ?

Living in the Anthropocene
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostFri Sep 23, 2005 6:25 pm 
Made 2 trips this summer to the area above Trap Lake and Thunder Lakes (TRs posted). I didn't have the names of the peaks on my map. I now see by your elevations that Nimbus would be the one directly north of Upper Thunder, and Thor would be the one east of there with the cool balanced rock on it and I assume that K9 is the one further east and fire scarred at one end. We had lunch at the tarn you mentioned. We had accessed that lakelet from a gully directly up from Trap Lake, but it sounds like you skirted around the cliffs in the Trapper Creek drainage to reach Trap Lake....Is that right? Is this the tarn?
A No Name Lake Above Trap Lake
A No Name Lake Above Trap Lake

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Sep 23, 2005 10:23 pm 
That photo appears to be the lake we hiked past. The lake we went passed is an unnamed lake whose outlet water flows due north into Trapper Creek. We did traverse over to Trap Lake in steep hemlock forest. Wildernessed...We didn't venture over to Thunder Mtn. I have already climbed Thunder as a winter climb. But the days are too short to have included Thunder. We had a ten hour day with 6000 feet vertical. Adding Thunder might be an option for a June or July trip but not for a fall adventure.