Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mallardy Ridge Trail (the old one)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed Oct 23, 2002 8:45 pm 
an htm read on the old Mallardy Ridge Trail - traversed Oct. 23, 2002 http://www.alpinequest.com/mallardytrail.htm

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Oct 28, 2002 4:50 pm 
I was looking for the old Mallardy Ridge Trail the day I "discovered" the new Mallardy Ridge Trail, now Walt Bailey's Trail. I liked the new one so well that I never did resume my search for the old one. According to Harry Majors, the old Mallardy Ridge Trail once continued along the ridge, circling to the east, and then went back down Blackjack Ridge all the way to the Stilly. - Now, Harry was sometimes a little imaginative. On the other hand, he even provided a trail number, 705, for that loop, so there may be quite a bit of abandonned trail up there still to find. agree.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Sawyer

Sawyer
PostMon Oct 28, 2002 5:06 pm 
Majors was right in this case. The trails are on old Forest Service maps. I know a guy who found the Mallardy Ridge part, and he reports that someone was working on it a couple years ago. Which reminds me... never did get to wander up to Marble Pass and try to descend to Copper Lake this year... (sigh -- too many places to visit!)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Oct 29, 2002 10:45 pm 
There is not much left after the high point est. 3,500' and only the first mile has been worked on this past year (though some time ago) by the looks of the cut branches. I went beyond the high point further down along the spine only to discover the trail basically peters out and what flags existed were in a mire of dwarf type cedars and thick brush. I have no doubt that it once may have circled around Blackjack Creek and or headed up the ridge or down to the Stilly, not now however. There has been some interest expressed my way about brushing out the "jungle" section after about the first mile and then doing some work on the section before the high point. And it may come to pass to do some volunteer work on it thru the grapevine, work that will have no flare or bonus to it other than the feeling of having accomplished something good amongst friends...also meaning there won't be free Forest/Trail Pass issued for work one may have done, because that's not what some of us are after. At this point, it may well be put off till spring, but if you are interested letmeno as there are a few of us already taking it seriously (light brush work that is - no chain saw stuff).

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Sawyer

Sawyer
PostWed Oct 30, 2002 5:50 pm 
According to the proprieter at the Silverton antique store, there was a lookout up on Malarky Ridge. He used to go up there reg'lar like. I get reports from my field commandos that the lopped areas are growing back together on Malardy. Some think ol' Walt Bailey hisself is a-loppin' up tharabouts. Could be the ghosts of Harry Bedal, Nels Bruseth, Joe Pearsall, or Everett Colby? James Kyes? Rockefeller even? Man, one should not think of these creepy things at this time of year.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
REJ

REJ
PostThu Oct 31, 2002 9:37 am 
The old Mallardy Ridge Trail has been on my list of places to visit. I would like to explore the route and do some lopping next year. Just for fun attached is the old Mallardy Ridge-Blackjack Ck trail as shown on the 1953 Forest Service map. According to Spring and Fish the Blackjack Lookout(built before 1934 and removed in 1950) was located at an elevation of 4519 ft.
Mallardy Ridge Trail 1953
Mallardy Ridge Trail 1953