Forum Index > Trip Reports > Copper Ridge
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Oct 23, 2002 9:37 pm 
This was our birthday week so we sent the kids to the cousins. Left Kent at 7:30 and headed up toward Glacier worried that we could not get a permit. Jeff Renner helped out by predicting a lousy weekend. Picked up a permit self serve after a looooooong drive and crashed in the car at Hannegan Trailhead. It rained hard at night and we left in fog and drizzle. No bugs and we were up to the pass fast. Checked out the camps by Ruth before heading down then up. We found a spring just before reaching the ridge and filled the water bottles. The ridge was socked in but resembled a zen garden with drifting sheets of fog constantly changing the impression. Set up the tent at Silesia Camp, which was dry as a bone. We baked a birthday coffee cake in an Outback Oven with dinner. We next took a long trip down to Egg Lake for water; the lake was lovely in the quietude. Went outside around 9 to see a full moon and stars with occasional tongues of fog forming reverse waterfalls blowing up the cols. First light brought clear skies, apple cobbler and hot coffee. The sunrise over the Pickets was spectacular. We headed out early to the lookout as the cloud cap on Baker implied the good would not last. Fog ominously filled the valleys on the way up. The 360 views made the gain worthwhile. The lookout is sealed for the winter. Nice views of Selese, Redoubt. Bear, Luna, Challenger, Southern Pickets, Mineral, Ruth, Icy, Shuksun, Baker, Granite and the Border Peaks. Time to head back and break camp. The way down seemed longer than up and we saw a huge black bear near Boundary Camp. The views were all the more amazing, as we had none on the way up. The trail dragged the most on the way down Ruth Creek as I had boot with only a few miles on them prior to the trip. Afterwards we had a lovely meal at Milano’s and brought back dolce for the kids.
View West
View West

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostThu Oct 24, 2002 11:59 am 
Malachi, What mileage for the Hannigan trailhead, Ruth trip? I've been up Hannigan and over to Ruth and Icy peaks but when I was looking at your picture with a western exposure, I wasn't certain of the copper ridge location. Have to look at TOPO disc when I escape the workplace. friend and I have idea to try one more overnight berfore the snow and mileage is one of our variables. drock

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Oct 24, 2002 12:30 pm 
The picture was taken from near the lookout on Copper Ridge. According to Dont Waste Your Time it is 4 mi. to Hannegan Pass and another 4.2 to Silesia Camp. Then it is another 2 to the lookout. It seems longer beacuse of the elevation gains and losses.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostThu Oct 24, 2002 5:21 pm 
Awesome shot Malachai! What a great place, and as someone else said, I wouldn't mind living up by Glacier, though I have a cabin already at Oso on the Nkf Stillaquamish River, it might be nice to have one up near Glacier, too. "Dreaming here, but you never know." I have always loved the Mt Baker area... http://www.alpinequest.com/KomaKulshanGlorylink.html http://www.alpinequest.com/bellpass1.htm http://www.alpinequest.com/beneathloom.html

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com

PostFri Oct 25, 2002 8:19 am 
Mal. terrific shot. Camped on Hannegan Pk and day- tripped over to Copper Lo years ago. Never forget the Lookout giving my buddy and me each a cold beer on a hot August day. What a place! Endless roaming!