Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > One Lane Mountain Roads - right of way
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
quilbilly

quilbilly
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 10:37 am 
Here's my personal ethical pet peeve... Vehicles heading down a one lane mountian road when I am going up rarely back-up as required by law. They just keep on pressing foward and damn near take my side mirror off. The law states: When two vehicles meet on a steep road where neither can pass, the vehicle facing downhill must back up until the vehicle going uphill can pass. Theres a logical reason for this, wondering if anybody knows what it is.'biggrin.gif'

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 10:56 am 
Glad I know now, I have always wondered about this.
Thats why I carry my Glock. guns.gif hihi.gif Backing up on a steep gravel/ dirt road would be tough in a... lets say . ...wiley, rear wheel drive, light in the back, manual transmission S-10. dizzy.gif It seems the only time these encounters happen is, when one is going against the ebb and flow of mountain traffic : I.E; driving to the trail head late in the evening, when most folks are heading home.

Ebrace life!
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 11:56 am 
quilbilly wrote:
Theres a logical reason for this, wondering if anybody knows what it is.'biggrin.gif'
I think it's visibility through the rearview - you can't see the road backing downhill, but you can see it backing uphill But I don't have to worry about this because I always carry my Glock, too guns.gif

quilbilly

quilbilly
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 12:10 pm 
Were abouts do you fellas hike? That way I can avoid you. I had a gun pointed directly into my face 2x back in detroit... would rather not have it happen again. I didnt think preople brandished guns the same way out here...but maybe I was wrong. It must be a wild west thing? From what i understand, the only time you can shoot someone and not do time in jail - is if they invade your home and/or business. Might as well leave your gun at home. If your talking about hiking in Alaska - then I can understand the need for a gun (for the possible bear attack)

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 12:44 pm 
Generally speaking I will always pull over. The other car usually is driving like they're the only ones on the road and don't have time to stop. Sometimes tho, and old geezer like me pulls over as soon as we see each other. I've often wondered this when I drive Shell Rock. It would be hard for either person. Especially with Oil Pan Rock in the way.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
gareite

gareite
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 2:25 pm 
I have always thought that the vehicle on the "in" side, that is to say on the more stable side pulls over, thus giving the other person on the "drop-off' side all the room possible to pass. I would think this holds true either going up or down a narrow road.

Glen in Oly
quilbilly

quilbilly
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 2:49 pm 
ok ok - these glock references are sarcasm - I get it now. What can I say...Im new here:doh:

mike

mike
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 2:59 pm 
Custom on logging roads around here is to give the downhill traffic the right of way. Main reason is because the loaded log trucks can't be expected to stop and back up. Also it's near impossible to back up hill in a standard PU.

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 3:16 pm 
I have never heard of this law as stated- where is it? I always thought that whichever driver was closer to a pullout should use it and that this was more a matter of courtesy than a law.

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 3:20 pm 
I think Newt said it well. Many aren't aware of all the different etiquettes in the world and rather than fuss with trying to remember them all just follow the Golden Rule. Like Newt, I almost always just get out of their way. Of course two meek people meeting like that will have them both backing up out of sight and then waiting for the other to proceed. embarassedlaugh.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 3:21 pm 
Fully loaded log trucks ALWAYS have the right of way agree.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
quilbilly

quilbilly
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 3:37 pm 
polecatjoe wrote:
I have never heard of this law as stated- where is it? I always thought that whichever driver was closer to a pullout should use it and that this was more a matter of courtesy than a law.
I never heard of it either till I received my 2nd speeding ticket in 6 months and had to under go 're-education' .... take a class and a test. It was part of the test. There are lots of different circumstances though that you would flex this law. Whoever is in danger of falling off the mountain should get the right of way I guess.

Dante

Dante
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 3:46 pm 
My dirt road peeve is people who won't move over when I'm close to the ditch and can see plenty of road on the opposite side of their car. People who drive their SUVs 5 mph on a perfect gravel road but won't pull over to let me pass bug me too. I've really never had any problem passing someone else or vice verse on a dirt road, but I've typically been in a small car (Datsun or Subaru) that leaves plenty of room for the other fellow if I hug the side of the road.

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 8:22 pm 
Dante wrote:
My dirt road peeve is people who won't move over when I'm close to the ditch and can see plenty of road on the opposite side of their car. People who drive their SUVs 5 mph on a perfect gravel road but won't pull over to let me pass bug me too. I've really never had any problem passing someone else or vice verse on a dirt road, but I've typically been in a small car (Datsun or Subaru) that leaves plenty of room for the other fellow if I hug the side of the road.
Ditto, ditto and a what? DATSUN shakehead.gif lol.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 10:48 am 
My other mountain car is Datsun.. the first SUV wagon. up.gif watch it buster! Anyhow, i have fewer issue with the backing up deal than with people who will not let you pass. If I come up on you, I will be past you very quickly if you let me by and you'll eat far less of my dust than you make me eat of yours.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers