Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Image Lake Shelter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostWed Sep 21, 2005 2:08 pm 
Someone in another thread mentioned the old shelter at Image Lake and I remembered I had a photo of it in my collection. I don't know who took the picture or when; the other photos with it were from the '30s and '40s. Does anyone know when it was built and by whom, and what happened to it?
Glacier Peak and Image Lake
Glacier Peak and Image Lake
Shelter at Image Lake
Shelter at Image Lake
Close up of shelter
Close up of shelter

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostWed Sep 21, 2005 3:13 pm 
Wow. I had no idea there was a shelter there at one time. The cabin is in the clump of trees on the left side of my avitar. If anyone has info, speak up please!

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Sep 21, 2005 3:45 pm 
I have a 1961 Glacier Pk Wilderness map that shows a shelter at the south shore of Image Lake as well as one on the Suiattle Rv trail due west of Canyon Cr and at Miner's Cr. Not sure about the Image Lake shelter specifically, but in an old Signpost magazine I have, a letter from the FS to the readers is published, informing them of the decision made by the FS to once again re-build shelters that the public has destroyed over and over again. The letter pleads the public to not waste any more tax dollars and the FS time by destroying the shelters for firewood or for fun. I'm assuming the Image Lake shelter went by way of the others over the years - destroyed by the public and not replaced, or destroyed by nature or the FS as they became maintenance burdens. The shelter at Mackinaw on the Sauk Rv trail is still there. Lots of graffiti carved into it - names and dates from the late 1960's. I'm assuming it's the 2nd or 3rd shelter built at that site. Cool to look at, but it's pretty creepy in there.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting