Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostThu Sep 22, 2005 5:17 pm 
I did a search, but only came up with movie rental reviews, so I'm starting one. I don't go see movies very often because they are kinda expensive, and I'm perfectly happy with netflix. Anyway, with the Harvard Exit a half a block away, and spurred by sudden boredom, I got the urge to go see a movie. I heard somewhere that the Bill Murray film Broken Flowers was good. I give it down.gif too slow and pointless for me. I wish I had gone to March of the Penguins instead.

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Sep 22, 2005 5:24 pm 
That's 'cause you chose a movie with Bill Murray in it. Haven't you not been listening to what I've been telling you all these years? Sheesh....

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostThu Sep 22, 2005 5:42 pm 
I miss the old Bill Murray frown.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostThu Sep 22, 2005 6:43 pm 
There's still something about seeing a movie in a theatre. Bill Murray's last enjoyable movies were Groundhog Day and Tootsie. That one in Tokyo was zzzzzzzzz. Maybe it's his disinterested, bored with life persona - it rubs off on the viewer! I don't like sardonic, he is in a sardonic universe now. As Robin Williams is unwatchable in a manic, sappy way, so is Murray in the opposite direction. I'll probably end up renting March of the Penguins- have you heard about the original French version? They had actors voicing the "love affair" between the penguins and it was supposed to be so laughable the USA distributor said "quick, get me the ubiquitous and dependable Morgan Freeman to narrate this thing!" lol.gif But the footage is supposed to be wonderful.

TravelHiker

TravelHiker
PostThu Sep 22, 2005 7:18 pm 
I thought Lost in Translation was quite fantastic, and Bill pulled his character off nicely.

Always take the scenic route.

Riverside Laker
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Sep 22, 2005 7:32 pm 
Go to IMDB.com and marvel at it's massiveness. Review city, link city (actors, producers, every danged person involved basically).....information overload city. If you're a movie buff, welcome to your newest time waster online. I've rarely looked for a movie they don't have. Also covers games.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostThu Sep 22, 2005 8:31 pm 
I agree with you SH, about Bill Murray's latest flicks. Sardonic, tired with life doesn't do it for me anymore either. "What about Bob?" and "Groundhog Day" both funny. Just saw "In America", 2002 up.gif A rental, sorry. Too lazy to dredge up the rental thread

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Sep 22, 2005 8:57 pm 
IMDB is the place for info, but I'll throw a little BSP on behalf of my roommate. He runs Movie Source. Better than all the other movie review websites because...well...we get free stuff because of it. biggrin.gif

Kyndra

Kyndra
PostThu Sep 22, 2005 9:00 pm 
Snowshoe, i agree about "Groundhogs Day" I work in a restaurant and everytime someone drops something I say "Just put that anywhere"..... It makes me laugh every time.... up.gif

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostThu Sep 22, 2005 9:26 pm 
"In America"? The one about the Irish newcomers in NYC? That was pretty good. Boy this summer seemed especially weak for getting me out to the theatre - even the rental house offerings were skimpy. That said though I liked the two big boxing flicks -Russell Crowe in Cinderella Man and Eastwood's Million Dollar Baby deserved all their accolades. Vera Drake was an acting tour de force and totally gut-wrenching... amazing picture. Yeah What about Bob?- I can't say I really liked it but I can't hear the phrase "baby steps" now without thinking of that movie! lol.gif

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostThu Sep 22, 2005 9:50 pm 
Snowshoe Hare wrote:
"In America"? The one about the Irish newcomers in NYC?
Yes. Million dollar baby was good too, but depressing, IMO.

Maarten
Silly

Maarten
Silly
PostThu Sep 22, 2005 10:10 pm 
Rotten Tomatoes is my movie review site of choice...

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostThu Sep 22, 2005 10:25 pm 
Oh yeah Million Dollar Baby had its down and sad moments but it made you think. You want depressing and down see Vera Drake! But both are great movies in different ways. Now, Eastwood's Mystic River was way beyond me in how much praise it got- I didn't care for it at all- talk about a downer. I use Rotten Tomatoes to see other critic's reviews but a lot of the raves it has given in the past (by Harry Knowles?) to films IMO have been very overwrought and don't match the majority opinion of critics nationally. But hey it's another opinion out there so nothing wrong with that.

Carl Spackler/ Frank Milo

Carl Spackler/ Frank Milo
PostThu Sep 22, 2005 11:46 pm 
Caddy Shack and Mad Dog and Glory have my favorite Murray characters. But Lost in Translation was a wonderful film. My parents are the only people I know that didn't like it.

mike

mike
PostFri Sep 23, 2005 11:19 am 
Million Dollar Baby is a mediocre movie IMHO. another Oscar winner which won't stand the test of time (like Braveheart) Don't see why it got all the Oscars and nominations. Hillary Swank didn't deserve best actor, any of the other candidates were better. Imelda Staunton was robbed. Go rent Crash. my dos centavos