Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ed the Biped

Ed the Biped
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 3:20 pm 
If you like odd/disturbing documentaries and you can find it (it's not on netflix), I'd suggest "Jesco the Dancing Outlaw". It was a PBS documentary from W VA in the early 90s. It's an outlandish freakshow but apparently a true story. http://imdb.com/title/tt0101655/

I made my bed in a nook of the pine thicket - snug as a squirrel's nest, full of spicy odors with planty of wind-played needles to sing me asleep. - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 6:01 pm 
MCaver wrote:
I'd never heard of it before I rented it, so I had no expectations. I just didn't think it was very good. It wasn't bad, I just don't think it deserves all the acclaim. I saw much better movies last year.
Blasphemer! smackbum.gif Best movie of the year!

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 9:55 pm 
Constant Gardener up.gif Crash yes-no - I do agree it seemed very contrived and somewhat similar to Short Cuts by Altman but I write it off as an LA thing. I think the extremes do get you to think and talk about stereotyping and prejudice. The New World down.gif Beautiful, historical but a bit too slow for me. I don't care for Colin Farrell and the movie didn't pick up until Christian Bale showed up. The second half is much better.

Justan

Justan
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 10:40 pm 
Lord of War This is a must see movie about the career of a gun runner, played by Nicholas Cage and his trophy wife, played by Bridget Moynahan. It is a remarkable morality play that has appeal on the level of the individual, and well beyond. For many it will be like looking into a mirror. We saw it on DVD last weekend and it was probably the best video I’ve seen since Lonesome Dove. Also I've seen Ms Moynahan in a couple of other videos and she is a very talented actress that continues to get well disserved exposure.

-Justan Elk
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Feb 07, 2006 11:28 am 
lol.gif I seriously doubt that Ang Lee is secretly trying to convert all of the good people of America to some kind of Gay Cowboy lifestyle. I find this "secret agenda of gay people to conquer the world" conspiracy theory to be just a little out there.....

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Feb 07, 2006 12:06 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Sci Fi, Westerns
Did you see Serenity? One of the best scifi movies ever, imo. I'm praying for a sequel.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 07, 2006 12:11 pm 
Westerns and Sci-Fiare the most common type of message pictures even including Red River (gay subtext), High Noon (Macarthyism), The Searchers (racism), Star Trek (liberals in space), Bladerunner etc.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Feb 07, 2006 12:15 pm 
Agreed...Serenity was one of the most original and fun movies I've seen in a while...Sci-Fi Western, if you will. Won't be a sequel, though. Joss Whedon's given up hope after disappointing returns at the box office. If you enjoy Sci-Fi, The Island was pretty good. And I think I've already given the thumbs up in this forum to up to Code 46. Also enjoyed both Flightplan and Red Eye, recently. Flightplan was the more intelligent of the two. The Baxter was also a cute one. Anyone seen that? If you're looking for trippy visuals, I just watched Mirrormask. That had some pretty wild / impressive special effects.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Justan

Justan
PostTue Feb 07, 2006 12:44 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Westerns and Sci-Fiare the most common type of message pictures even including Red River (gay subtext), High Noon (Macarthyism), The Searchers (racism), Star Trek (liberals in space), Bladerunner etc.
Perhaps ‘having an agenda’ is codespeak for something that requires introspection and a sense of values? As example, how difficult is it to understand the glorified murder sub text to almost every western? It is easy. “They are bad. Murder them.” You are encouraged to not think about it. Compare that with something such as Lord of War. The subtext is that the protagonist is shallow, evil, wealth seeking and contributes toward countless murders. But he is important enough to be protected. Which is easier to understand, and which has an agenda? Of course, justifiably, there is nothing wrong with seeking entertainment with lots of surface tension and little else. Similarly entertainment employing lots of twists and turns is also okay. It is all entertainment, right?

-Justan Elk
David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostTue Feb 07, 2006 1:11 pm 
Quote:
Perhaps ‘having an agenda’ is codespeak for something that requires introspection and a sense of values? As example, how difficult is it to understand the glorified murder sub text to almost every western? It is easy. “They are bad. Murder them.” You are encouraged to not think about it.
Every story has some sort of political message. Even 'shoot 'em up' westerns do as they reinforce the use of violent force to resolve conflict. If a story has to be awkwardly 'contrived' in order to deliver an 'important' message then it can't really be considered a 'great' movie. Everyone loves "The Wizard of Oz" on an entertainment level but in fact that was an intensely political story.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Justan

Justan
PostTue Feb 07, 2006 1:21 pm 
Agreed. I wrote a paper in grad school about the Wiz. There was a U in NY that offered a grad school seminar on the topic. Wish I'd have had the $$ to attend! I also agree that the key term is “awkwardly contrived.” Uh, that’s not to say that the term itself is awkwardly contrived, but rather that a “message” is represented in a manner that doesn’t make it stick out too much, or is within the safe confines suggested by Elliot’s “willful suspension of disbelief.” Murder is such a common contrivance that it has little meaning anymore. Itself a fair reflection of what is considered a “message” and what is considered “entertainment.” Sigh.

-Justan Elk
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Feb 08, 2006 12:22 am 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
If you're looking for trippy visuals, I just watched Mirrormask. That had some pretty wild / impressive special effects.
Yeah, Mirrormask was great. I wish it was PG-13 though - it could have been better had it been a little more edgy. I'm waiting on pins and needles for the next Neil Gaimen story to make it to the screen - Neverwhere is supposedly in the works, but has been for like 5 years too. I've heard Death and Sandman were both supposed to get the silver screen nod, but I've not seen anything recently. American Gods would be cool too. And speaking of movies Jim Henson Company would likely do, I'm still holding out for a Farscape flick.

TeeJay
Sofa King

TeeJay
Sofa King
PostWed Feb 08, 2006 12:44 am 
I just watched an interesting movie called the Chumscrubber.

It is not in the nature of politics that the best men should be elected. The best men do not want to govern their fellowmen. -- George MacDonald
greg

greg
PostFri Feb 10, 2006 10:49 am 
I'm dying to see the Pink Panther with Steve Martin. I didn't think anyone could ever replace Peter Sellers, a couple have tried and failed, but I saw a few clips of this new one and it just slayed me. Seems like Martin is spot on as Clouseau. horsey.gif fencing.gif crutches.gif doof.gif breakdance.gif dizzy.gif rotf.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Feb 10, 2006 12:19 pm 
Ugh. Peter Sellars can't be replaced. I like Steve Martin, but this should never have been remade.