Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 10, 2017 7:19 am 
I dont go to movie theaters often, I will for Wonder Woman! I cant wait for that movie. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Toni

Toni
PostWed May 10, 2017 10:29 am 
down.gif "The Lost City of Z" skip the movie and read the book up.gif if you are at all interested.

There is no Planet B
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed May 10, 2017 6:48 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Ridley Scott is keeping busy. He's producing the Blade Runner sequel and directing the upcoming latest entry in the Aliens franchise.
Don't necessarily give Ridley Scott credit for Blade Runner 2049, Denis Villenueve should be the person in the spotlight here. He is a phenomenally good director (he directed Enemy, Prisoners, Sicario, and Arrival) and I think it's fair to lump him in with names like Christopher Nolan and David Fincher as one of the next big names that can successfully film an artistic and engrossing movie that will appeal to a blockbuster type audience. I really, really, really hope he knocks it out of the park with this one because it's a follow up to such an iconic piece of fiction that really didn't need a follow up and it could very easily feel like an unnecessary cash grab if it's done poorly. That and a big scifi flick like this should provide a good idea of how he'll tackle his next project: Dune. Also Roger Deakins is the cinematographer for Blade Runner and he may be the best in the business (he did Sicario, Doubt, No Country For Old Men, O Brother Where Art Thou?, The Big Lebowski, Fargo, Shawshank, among many many many others). If nothing else, it should be an absolutely gorgeous movie.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed May 10, 2017 7:37 pm 
What, he's going to take a run at Dune, next? Awesome! SciFi did a decent job on it, but I'll always take another. Especially if it does well enough to extend a film or two to God Emperor, my second fave of the series

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri May 12, 2017 8:13 am 
Went to see Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 yesterday, and I can happily say it's just as good as it's predecessor - probably my favorite marvel franchise, They're good sci-fi films in their own right, and would be just as enjoyable if they were entirely unrelated to the marvel cinematic universe. This one really plays up the comedic angle - it got a lot of laughs from me throughout its length. It's good that it's so funny, since otherwise it'd be a pretty grim and violent movie. The plot is actually surprisingly dark beneath the humor - the body count is remarkably high, and some of parts are actually kind of disturbing. It's not graphically violent, and the overall tone for most of the movie is lighthearted and humorous in the extreme. Most of the time when something awful happens it is quickly followed by something goofy that balances everything out. I'm a big fan of this type of juxtaposition - it's easy to make a harmless lighthearted comedy, and it's easy to make a grim-dark violent movie, but to make a movie that maintains a successful balance of the two is quite an accomplishment. The plot actually throws in quite a lot of twists, and to say anything specific would spoil it. I really want to see this one again - such a lot happens in it and it moves so fast that I'm sure I could go back and enjoy it almost as much a second time!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri May 12, 2017 1:17 pm 
I like that style as well. I'm not a huge fan of the comic based movies, but this one takes off on it's own as you describe (V1 anyway, haven't seen 2) yet and you hit the nail on the head as far as tone and vision. I was impressed with how decent Dr Strange was as well.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri May 12, 2017 6:56 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
SciFi did a decent job on it, but I'll always take another. Especially if it does well enough to extend a film or two to God Emperor, my second fave of the series
I thoroughly disagree on that. Scifi was closer to the source material than David Lynch was, but that's really all it had going for it. The production values were terrible (you could tell it was 80% filmed on a sound stage), the choreography of the fight scenes was worse than a 70's Kung Fu movie, the acting was some of the worst I've ever seen (Ian McNiece doing the Shakespearean Barron Harkonnen was just Grade-A cringe), and then they completely screwed up just as many - if not more - of the key plot points and themes of the books as Lynch did. The entire concept of Prescience and how it played into the story was basically lost on the Scifi production. Dune is my favorite book series of all time, so I really want it to be done properly, even if it's just the first book. But, the rumor is that the company that acquired the rights to the property is pursuing BOTH feature film and TV adaptations. So if that's the case, what I would ideally like to see is movies made of the first four books (and I think it might have to get split up into 5 movies just because there's so much there), and then a TV show done by one of the quality networks (HBO, Showtime, Stars, FX, or AMC) to tackle Heretics, Chapterhouse, and the never-released conclusion - I just hope they do not use the Brian Herbert material because his stories were complete garbage in comparison.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSat May 13, 2017 9:59 am 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
The plot is actually surprisingly dark beneath the humor - the body count is remarkably high, and some of parts are actually kind of disturbing.
Very accurate review. My thoughts were "this is a Disney movie?". While I called the movie fun and dumb, it had elements to ponder on. Despite some plot issues; it was worth seeing.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostSat May 13, 2017 4:09 pm 
I thought GOG2 was great. Very fun! My kids loved it even more than me. In regards to Dune, also one of my favorite book series of all time, I am cautiously optimistic. There have been a lot of false alarms in regards to a book to movie project. I will take a special director to do it right. Fingers crossed...

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed May 17, 2017 9:26 pm 
Well, the new Star Trek: Discovery trailer is here, and boy is it disappointing. It's got good CGI, but that's all that's really going for it. The trailer proclaims "Ten years before Kirk, Spock and McCoy"...... Why not just have it star Kirk, Spock, and McCoy? I really, really wanted a remake of the original series staring the actors from the new movies. Star Trek: Discovery is obviously taking itself way too seriously - good Trek isn't afraid to have a sense of humor. .....Which is why instead I'm going to watch The Orville, a Star Trek spoof series staring Seth McFarlane and directed by Jon Favreau. The trailer feels more like Trek than Star Trek: Discovery's new trailer did! Interestingly, Orville's trailer came yesterday to hugely positive response, and then Discovery's trailer came out today, coincidence? Discovery has had a long and rough development, and has received a largely skeptical to negative response as more has been revealed. I'm sure CBS was trying to react to Orville's competition, but considering that Discovery keeps alienating fans and will be shown only on CBS's own streaming service, I can't see it having much of a chance. Hopefully CBS will realize why it failed, cancel it at this first season, and bring us a real Star Trek series in a prime time slot.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed May 17, 2017 11:54 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Which is why instead I'm going to watch The Orville, a Star Trek spoof series staring Seth McFarlane and directed by Jon Favreau. The trailer feels more like Trek than Star Trek: Discovery's new trailer did!
I just saw that. Looks interesting. I'm not really a McFarlane fan, but I'll probably give it a chance. Galaxy Quest set the bar pretty high for Star Trek lampooning. Of course a TV series is something entirely different than a stand alone movie.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostThu May 18, 2017 10:55 am 
Hmmm....Just saw the trailer myself and it looks pretty cool. Maybe I am just easy to please but I am looking forward to seeing it the series.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu May 18, 2017 11:52 am 
Sore Feet wrote:
I thoroughly disagree on that. Scifi was closer to the source material than David Lynch was, but that's really all it had going for it. The production values were terrible (you could tell it was 80% filmed on a sound stage), the choreography of the fight scenes was worse than a 70's Kung Fu movie, the acting was some of the worst I've ever seen (Ian McNiece doing the Shakespearean Barron Harkonnen was just Grade-A cringe), and then they completely screwed up just as many - if not more - of the key plot points and themes of the books as Lynch did. The entire concept of Prescience and how it played into the story was basically lost on the Scifi production. Dune is my favorite book series of all time, so I really want it to be done properly, even if it's just the first book. But, the rumor is that the company that acquired the rights to the property is pursuing BOTH feature film and TV adaptations. So if that's the case, what I would ideally like to see is movies made of the first four books (and I think it might have to get split up into 5 movies just because there's so much there), and then a TV show done by one of the quality networks (HBO, Showtime, Stars, FX, or AMC) to tackle Heretics, Chapterhouse, and the never-released conclusion - I just hope they do not use the Brian Herbert material because his stories were complete garbage in comparison.
Funny how takes are so different! I hated Brians stuff but IMO he grew into it as he went. The butlerian jihad stuff I enjoyed greatly, with Omnius and his spreading updates of himself to all his machine worlds on a continuous basis, etc. I read the conclusion novel with great trepidation because like you, this is my fave book series of all time and i'd waited 40 years for a conclusion, and it not only met my expectations, it exceeded them by a lot. Tying together tens of thousands of years of storylines and so many threads was no simple thing and I was completely satisfied by the way they all came to a head and wrapped up.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu May 18, 2017 11:57 am 
MacnacFeegle, what's your take on the fan fiction series like Beyond and Continues? It took some getting used to to for the different faces, but some of them are quite fun IMO, particularly Continues which features some of the actors or continues stories. My two faves...the one where they run across Apollo, and the episode where we find out what happens when the Evil Kirk returns to the Empire universe, and his wiser captain's woman and Spock

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu May 18, 2017 8:23 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
MacnacFeegle, what's your take on the fan fiction series like Beyond and Continues? It took some getting used to to for the different faces, but some of them are quite fun IMO, particularly Continues which features some of the actors or continues stories. My two faves...the one where they run across Apollo, and the episode where we find out what happens when the Evil Kirk returns to the Empire universe, and his wiser captain's woman and Spock
There's a Trek fan-fiction series called Beyond? I just get the 2016 movie when I try to search for it. It's been awhile since I watched the fan made series. As I recall they are quite impressive and highly enjoyable, but suffer due to the acting. In Continues it's not too bad, but I still have a really hard time getting used to their attempts to impersonate the characters. With the reboot movies I was able to buy the re-cast characters because the actors they got were so good, and also because they didn't try to impersonate the old characters, or at least not to the same degree. The attempt in fan fiction tends to come off as extremely forced and fake. That said, they often do a better job than CBS has done with its series. I think what they should do is hire on some of the people involved with Continues and have them work with a top notch crew of actors and directors to make a new series. Also, if using the actors from the new movies can't happen, then I think they should make the series about a new crew in the same time as TOS, not as a prequel. Make it episodic, not serial, make it colorful, hopeful, and humorous, not dark and serious. Someone should buy the rights to Star Trek series and release them into the public domain - Star Trek is such a huge cultural thing that it doesn't seem right that a single company (that doesn't care about it for more than the money it makes them) should own it. If Trek was in the public trust we would probably see multiple series made on every kind of budget. Some of it would be bad of course, but I think we'd see a lot of great stuff too. Those who wanted the feel of TOS could have that, those who wanted a more serious Next Generation style series could have that, and those who wanted a boring drama in a space station could have that as well. We could have everything from the Youtube fan series to the big budget netflix or HBO exclusive. Now I'm going to have to go back and watch the Continues episodes again lol!