Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon May 22, 2017 7:05 pm 
After debating it for a while, I went to see Guardians Vol. 2. Entertaining, I enjoyed it. It was a LOUD movie! Be warned if you are sensitive to loud noises. Saw it at the little indie theater in downtown Edmonds at 4 on a weekday--the theater was almost empty.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue May 23, 2017 12:01 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
It was a LOUD movie! Be warned if you are sensitive to loud noises.
I rarely see movies in theatres. But I have long ago learned to wear ear plugs. Mainly for the Previews. They seem to turn the volume up for the Previews and the commercials. Back in the day I have even asked managers or staff to turn down the volume at movies. They almost always have complied. Nowadays the earplugs seem to work. ~z

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu May 25, 2017 9:08 am 
I'm looking forward to seeing the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie this weekend. Some reviewers don't like it, but I have a long history of loving movies that reviewers hate (Stardust, Gods of Egypt, Clash of the Titans, etc.). Also, some reviewers are probably unfairly biased against "Dead Men Tell No Tales" due to some social justice BS regarding to the casting of the villain. The trailers make it look like a lot of fun, and that's what I look for when I go the theater.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu May 25, 2017 11:10 pm 
Do you ever watch a movie, and not know what to say about it after? Kinda indie mystery/thriller, "Come And Find Me" w/ Aaron Paul, Garrett Dillahunt and one other actor I recognized (from the TV series Dollhouse), the rest were unknown to me. I was enjoying it fairly well. Not real fast paced, much of it told in flashbacks, but intriguing enough. And then...the most B.S., cowardly, ambiguous, non-ending I've seen yet. So unsatisfying. Since the movie doesn't actually end, I can't actually review it, cuz, you know, it's not over yet. Stupid.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat May 27, 2017 4:31 pm 
Just got back from Pirates of the Carribean 5 - a very fun movie, lots of action and plenty of comedy. It's a highly enjoyable film, as long as you don't think too much about the plot, it's relationship to the first 3 entries in the series, and the large number of entirely pointless characters. I was worried going in that it would be as bad as "On Stranger Tides", and I'm glad to report that it's very much better than that train wreck of a film! It doesn't quite match up to the first 3 movies, but considered on its own it does pretty well as an action, magic, and pirate filled summer blockbuster!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostWed May 31, 2017 10:46 pm 
Pirates of the Caribbean - Deadman Tell no Tales Overall was glad I went. As noted there were some plot issues that required one to over look (for the sake of not damaging the fun aspects of the movie). However Jack Sparrow pulls in a great performance and made for some genuine laughs. They could have used Javier Bardem a bit better (not his fault), however was still enjoyable seeing him play a villain again.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed May 31, 2017 11:25 pm 
Just saw an advanced screening of Wonder Woman. It didn't blow me away, but it's a solid 7.5/10, maybe even an 8/10. My only major nitpick about it is the hardcore action sequences were a bit too short - I wanted to see more of WW kicking maximum ass, and that only happened for a couple of scenes in the third act (but it makes sense in the context of the story). Otherwise, good acting (Gadot is surprisingly good, actually), good story, good action, and most importantly it was cohesive and made sense in every way that Suicide Squad (and the theatrical cut of BvS - the extended cut was much better) did not.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 01, 2017 7:47 am 
Im jealous SF. Ill be at the theater on Saturday. I cant wait. Ive always been more of a DC guy myself.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Jun 01, 2017 6:59 pm 
Yep, I've always been DC over Marvel too. I'm still a bit nervous about Justice League but WW being good was definitely was a relief after the pile of garbage that Suicide Squad was.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Jun 02, 2017 7:27 pm 
I'm a marvel guy myself, unless we're talking about the Adam West Batman (the best batman) or the old Wonder Woman TV show. That said, the trailers for Wonder Woman look good enough that I'm considering going to see it.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat Jun 03, 2017 7:37 pm 
Just saw Wonder Woman, and mostly agree with Sore Feet's assessment. Gal Godot was great! Having this female superhero movie directed by a woman really worked. There were quite a few moments in there in which the different treatment felt refreshingly fresh, when compared to every other superhero movie I've seen. I loved it. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jun 05, 2017 12:44 am 
From Neil Blomkamp of District 9, Elysium, Chappie.. wow

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jun 05, 2017 4:47 pm 
More teaser from Blomkamps new studio in Vancouver

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Jun 06, 2017 9:52 am 
^ This looks interesting! Thanks for the heads up. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jun 06, 2017 11:05 am 
You're welcome! I love his stuff, mostly....Elysium didn't sit well with me other than the always entertaining Sharlto Copely as the badass. But I *love* Blomkamp's style. There's some awesome stuff in those teasers...did you catch Sigourney Weaver in the 2nd one?