Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jul 07, 2017 11:37 am 
"Bleed For This" based on the story of boxer Vinny Pazienza was good. Generally good cast, but Miles Teller and Aaron Eckhart in particular excelled.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Jul 08, 2017 11:05 pm 
Watched two old Hitchcock movies from the 1930s last night: "39 Steps" and "The Lady Vanishes" Both were excellent ("The Lady Vanishes" was my favorite of the two) - I realized how many Hitchcock films I haven't seen, and what a loss that is to me! I was particularly impressed by the clever use of silence, and it struck me how most other films rely so heavily on nearly constant noise. Also, the sets in both movies were fantastic - almost as good as modern CGI! Earlier in the week I perusing Amazon Prime for a good dumb action film and chose "Son of Rambow" which turned out to be nothing like what I was expecting based on the cover and the title! It turns out to be the story of a child from an ultra-religious British family that forbids television of any kind. He sees Rambo: First blood, and becomes obsessed with Rambo, and the story involves him making a Rambo film of his own. It ended up being a lot better than the violent, brainless Rambo spoof I thought it would be!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Jul 08, 2017 11:11 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Ten thumbs down for Logan!
I haven't seen it, and I don't plan to - I'm not interested in seeing Logan and Charles as feeble old guys who die horribly.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 12, 2017 10:25 am 
"Gifted" with Chris Evans. Absolutely fantastic movie! I highly suggest it. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 7:20 pm 
"Unbroken" Ya know something? Part of me wishes we had kept building nuclear bombs and just kept them falling on Japanese cites for the way they treated our captured soldiers! To say nothing of the Bataan Death March! Etc etc etc. Difficult movie to watch. Important movie to see.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jul 15, 2017 7:19 pm 
Went and watched Wonder Woman for the third time. Damn, I love that movie. up.gif

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Jul 15, 2017 7:35 pm 
Had to decide whether to see Transformers: The Last Knight and Spiderman: Homecoming. It was a tough call, but I have a long tradition of seeing Transformers in Theaters and an equally long tradition of sneering at Spiderman, so I went to see Transformers despite it getting abysmal reviews. I'm glad I did - The Last Knight doesn't vary too much from the Transformers formula; scenes of explosions and robots punching each other connected by brief interludes of questionable plot. However, as always the action and grandiose CGI is a joy to watch, and that's what I want for nearly 3 hours when I go to see a Transformers film! If you've enjoyed any of the other Transformers movies then you'll get a kick out of this one. It's just big dumb fun from beginning to end. I think I may have to see Spiderman: Homecoming at some point though, I hear great things about it from everyone. It sounds like another cheerful, excellent Marvel movie in the vain of Ant Man, and that's something I'm definitely interested in. It's going to be hard though, with Dunkirk, Dark Tower, and Valarian all coming to theaters at around the same time.......

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Jul 16, 2017 2:17 pm 
Spiderman Homecoming up.gif up.gif Outstanding. Much better than the previous reboot. Arguably the best Marvel movie within the last few years. Loved the hostile emotional tension scene, was on the edge of my seat. Spiderman was literally thrown into a phyco cirrus. Had a lot of great laughs. Plenty of fun mini moments too. A solid 10/10.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 11:13 pm 
Tried watching "The Lost City of Z." Shut it down after 45-50 minutes. I tried. Just wasn't the least bit interesting or compelling to me at any point, decided I could do something else rather than continue trying to watch it.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 5:53 pm 
Saw "Free Fire" the other day. Not a cinematic masterpiece, but fairly entertaining. Only one set the entire 90 minute run time--an abandoned warehouse. Started outside, but quickly moved inside the building. Just a bit of setup--a gun deal w/ various parties--and then things went south and almost the entirety of the movie is a never ending gunfight. Several actors I didn't know but several fairly big names--Sharlto Copely (playing a bizarre character as usual), Cillian Murphy (he's kinda faded into obscurity but he had his 5 minutes or so of being the next big thing), Armie Hammer (kinda flopped a couple times as a leading man in a blockbuster, but he's been in a handful of movies) and Brie Larsen (she's parlayed winning an Oscar into making generic action movies I guess?). If you like lots of gunfire while various people are cussing at and insulting each other, this is the movie for you!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jul 25, 2017 9:05 pm 
"Kong: Skull Island" was about as expected. Big loud special effects extravaganza. There are some talented actors/actresses in the film, but they aren't given much to work with. John C. Reilly pretty well stole the movie. I think I'm starting to get a bit of Samuel L. Jackson fatigue. He's been essentially the same character for what, 25 years now?

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 9:18 pm 
Live action 2017 version of "Ghost in the Shell." Saw the manga/japanime version years ago, don't remember much about it. W/out trying to compare the 2 versions, I enjoyed the new one. Didn't do well at the box office, I didn't have my hopes too high, but I found it visually and thematically interesting. How did Scarlet Johanson go from being in mostly indie stuff as a teenager to mostly being a butt kicking action star? Interesting evolution.

trestle

trestle
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 10:20 pm 
Scarlet has worked her way up through a variety of roles and in many ways we're fortunate she wasn't sucked into the vortex of dramatic roles for women. That's a lengthy conversation, my short answer is Oscar, and I'm not a sexist. Off to see Dunkirk Thursday afternoon, will offer a report that evening.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostSat Jul 29, 2017 7:38 pm 
I watched "Before I Fall" from Netflix. It was a very intriguing and uplifting movie that has become one of my favorites. It's like "Groundhog Day" meets "Heathers" but it's not a comedy, it actually tells a very serious and compelling story. I liked "Spider-Man: Homecoming" in theaters as well. It was nicely mixed with Ironman and the Avengers to make the story a bit more interesting.

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 9:39 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
"Gifted" with Chris Evans. Absolutely fantastic movie! I highly suggest it. up.gif
up.gif Ditto. Just watched it.