PostFri Aug 18, 2017 11:36 am 
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword ** Meh...don't bother. down.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostFri Aug 18, 2017 3:02 pm 
Atomic Blonde up.gif up.gif One of my favorites of the year. Unlike most action movies you see the main character go through some rough patches and the fights don't always go so cleanly. Great usage of 1980's music. Had my knuckles on my teeth at one point. I liked it over Dunkirk (despite being a big Christopher Nolan fan).

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Aug 19, 2017 5:54 pm 
mike wrote:
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword ** Meh...don't bother. down.gif
I saw it a little while after your post. I actually enjoyed it. It's very much a Guy Ritchie movie. If you don't like his style, then you should definitely skip it. It's an entirely different take on the King Arthur legend, it's missing quite a few of the usual characters associated w/ Arthur and Camelot. It's a bit like his handling of Sherlock Holmes. Dirtied the character up and turned him into a street brawler. He has to add a bit of the flavor from his movies that made a name for him like Snatch and Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels--fast talking two bit hustlers and crooks w/ thick London accents.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Aug 21, 2017 4:53 pm 
"Colossal"....how to even describe it? It's certainly different than anything I've ever seen before. Kind of a quirky indie dark comedy (this coming from a person who thinks dark comedy is code word for not a comedy at all), but more of a drama. And then a kaiju movie at the same time. It's probably all supposed to be metaphorical. At any rate I thought it was good. Took a chance on being different. Good cast--Anne Hathaway, Jason Sudeikis, Tim Blake Nelson, Dan Stevens. It goes to some dark places.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Aug 22, 2017 7:00 pm 
Josh Lewis wrote:
Atomic Blonde up.gif up.gif
I agree. I thought it was great! Nice throwback spy flick, and the action scenes were awesome. Highly recommended.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Toni

Toni
PostThu Aug 24, 2017 10:06 pm 
up.gif up.gif "Wind River" A great movie, the perfect ending. Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olson up.gif

There is no Planet B
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostThu Aug 24, 2017 10:20 pm 
Young Frankenstein (1974) up.gif up.gif Best black and white movie I've ever seen. Gene Wilder and Marty Feldman put in a great performance. Lots of great laughs and amusing theatrics. Not much into monsters? Neither am I. This was much different than the title suggests.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Aug 25, 2017 9:10 am 
Finally went to see Spiderman: Homecoming yesterday - definitely the best Spiderman movie yet! It follows the same general winning formula that Marvel has perfected - an engaging story, great action & CGI, and a healthy dose of humor. I particularly appreciated the well-developed antagonist, something that has never been a strong point of marvel movies. He's not the only well developed character - even minor characters were made memorable despite their lack of screen time. Another great thing is how it toys with your expectations - it shows you a situation that movies typically handle one way, then takes it in the complete opposite direction. I guess if I had to find one thing wrong with the film it is that the high school stuff got a little bit tiresome, but that wasn't a big deal, and I suspect it won't bother me at all the next time I see it. Spiderman: Homecoming definitely belongs in the company of my other favorite marvel films, though I wouldn't say that I'd place it above Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant Man, or the first Iron Man movie. However, it can definitely compete in such company, which is high praise indeed coming from me!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
trestle

trestle
PostSat Aug 26, 2017 9:17 am 
Nac, my kids love the new Spider Man but I'm so tired of character re-boots that I've been avoiding it. Thanks for the detailed review and between you and OTIUTB, I'll likely watch it. I'm enjoying the Marvel universe, particularly post-Civil War, and we should have several movies in the next 10 years with some interesting connections. I finally got around to watching The Killing on netflix. I like the acting and the locations but the constant torrential downpours get tiresome. It doesn't rain like that here. And it's just a guess but I seriously doubt local and state law enforcement have such an adversarial relationship with tribal authorities.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
mike

mike
PostSat Aug 26, 2017 11:49 am 
Well it was obviously filmed in Vancouver... but doesn't really rain like that there either except on the N Shore

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Aug 26, 2017 9:53 pm 
I haven't even seen the new Spiderman yet!

trestle

trestle
PostSun Aug 27, 2017 6:02 am 
mike wrote:
Well it was obviously filmed in Vancouver... but doesn't really rain like that there either except on the N Shore
Yes, I knew that, but there are plenty of establishing shots showing our side of the PNW. However, maybe we should be glad for the portrayal. Yeah, tell everyone it rains a lot here, that will keep them away.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostThu Aug 31, 2017 9:20 pm 
King Author: Legend of the Sword down.gif down.gif Started out a lot like "The Great Wall". Felt very fantasy like (not in a Harry Potter kind of way) to the point where it was difficult to care about the characters. Also they super toggled the plot which made it feel incoherent. I kept giving it a chance but had to give up 25 minutes in. Baywatch (2017) Mediocre. Had a few laughs and quite a few slight chuckles but overall felt like mild entertainment. I get that it was supposed to be a "fun dumb movie" but it tried too hard at other times to be too serious that it watered down the entertainment value. They stripped out the best scene from the trailer. hockeygrin.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Sep 04, 2017 8:01 am 
Mediocre might be too kind for Baywatch. It was barely funny a few times, then quit trying to be a comedy. I don't understand all the F bombs. There were A LOT! I can handle some language, but I don't know why they added that to a movie based off a tv show that had no language at all. I also really, really don't understand the full frontal male nudity. It probably wasn't real, just a prosthetic, but why the hell?! That was just so unnecessary and so out of place.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Sep 04, 2017 3:22 pm 
The Hitman's Body Guard up.gif up.gif This was the movie that Jason Bourne was supposed to be (and much more). Samuel Jackson and Ryan Reynolds put in a hilarious performance (it's been ages since I've heard the entire theater cracking up as much as I heard). Half way through the movie I was satisfied, the movie however keeps on going and doesn't let up. Samuel says a few F bombs, but it's to be expected of him. Lived up to being an action comedy. cool.gif