Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Toni

Toni
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 4:30 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
Black Panther: An adventure / James Bond / superhero film, in that order, rolled into a fun, fun package. I thought it was highly entertaining. There's a car chase scene in there that's particularly exhilarating.
up.gif up.gif The costume designs, so much into detail! Likeable character's and stay after the credits, "the very very LAST credit!

There is no Planet B
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Feb 22, 2018 6:55 pm 
I'll chime in on Black Panther to say I thought it was good, but super overrated. I wouldn't put it in the top 10 Marvel movies at this point. The story was good, the acting was good, the characters were good, but save for one or two fleeting moments I was noticeably bored by the whole movie. It just wasn't as fun as I would expect your stereotypical comic book movie to be.
Bedivere wrote:
Also watched "Wind River." Another very dark and very powerful movie but definitely NOT humorous.
I also just saw Wind River and would recommend, it's excellent, 4/5. A few more: Get Out - 5/5. Without question the best Hitchcock-ian movie produced in the last 25 years. If it doesn't get nominated for at the very least Best Original Screenplay, it will be a massive injustice to Jordan Peele. Mother! - 5/5. This one absolutely blew me away. I definitely understand why so many people hated it, it really doesn't let you know what it's about, and when you finally figure it out (if your figure it out), it still makes you think long and hard about what the message is. I'm not going to tell you what it's about, it's better to go in blind (it is not a horror / thriller / suspense movie like the previews let on though). I think Darren Aronofsky has easily solidified his place as Kubrick's heir apparent with this film. Note, if you are religiously sensitive, this movie will probably not be your cup of tea. Baby Driver - 4/5. Not as good as Edgar Wright's other movies (at least Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead), but quite entertaining.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 1:35 pm 
Saw "Black Panther" a couple days ago. Definitely enjoyed it. A large cast and good performances throughout. CGI was a bit over the top at times, but par for the course w/ comic book movies. There were so many characters, Black Panther didn't even seem like the main character half the time. The climatic fight scene felt fairly anti-climatic to me. "Winter Soldier" and "Civil War" are my gold standards for comic book movies. This was good, but well short of that bar.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 1:46 pm 
I'm not into horror/slasher flicks at all. When I saw previews for "Happy Death Day" I thought it looked really dumb. Happened to see some reviews of it that made me curious enough to check it out. It wasn't really particularly bloody. Some of the violence is more implied than show. It's yet another variant of the Groundhog Day premise, repeating a day over and over again. This one features a female college student who is murdered on her birthday. She has to figure out who the killer is. More of a mystery than a horror movie, with some comedic elements. A bit similar to "Before I Fall." A pretty, popular girl who is really mean to most of the people around her. Through extreme circumstances starts to examine herself and how she interacts with others and begins to try to be better. Anyway, I enjoyed it. Also took a chance w/ a indie sci fi movie "Uncanny." The setup is remarkably similar to "Ex Machina," although where it goes from there is different. A robotics and programming prodigy has been holed up in a lab since completing college at 17. He has produced a humanoid A.I. that is indistinguishable from an actual human. A female journalist from a science/tech magazine spends a week at the facility interviewing him and interacting w/ the A.I. You get the claustrophobia, paranoia, impending sense of something about to go wrong. This is very low budget, no special effects, no name actors. Not really sure if I think the script of this is better or worse than Ex Machina, but that was certainly a more polished product and better viewing experience. Ending of this one.....not very satisfying to me.

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostSun Feb 25, 2018 3:03 pm 
Annihilation Go see it, its awesome. So weird, so disturbing, but you can't take take your eyes off it.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSun Feb 25, 2018 6:08 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
There were so many characters, Black Panther didn't even seem like the main character half the time.
By "so many characters" did you mean so many strong characters? That was my take and was one of the reasons I enjoyed this one so much. I've got a bit sick of the usual superhero movie; this one felt more of an adventure movie, with some interesting, non one-dimentional characters.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Feb 25, 2018 7:27 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
By "so many characters" did you mean so many strong characters? That was my take and was one of the reasons I enjoyed this one so much. I've got a bit sick of the usual superhero movie; this one felt more of an adventure movie, with some interesting, non one-dimentional characters.
Yes, there were many compelling characters and strong acting performances. I didn't mean it as a criticism exactly, just noting that Black Panther often wasn't the focus of the movie.

rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostSun Feb 25, 2018 9:18 pm 
Fletcher wrote:
Annihilation Go see it, its awesome. So weird, so disturbing, but you can't take take your eyes off it.
Agree. Fun sci-fi with some great cinematography. Same director as Ex-Machina, but a bit darker of a movie. The end was a bit WTF, but I was fine with it.

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Feb 25, 2018 10:47 pm 
ditto.gif Same Director as Ex Machina.

Living in the Anthropocene
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Feb 25, 2018 11:16 pm 
I'm a fan of Zoe Kazan. I've seen most of the films she's been in. One I knew about but had skipped til now is called "In Your Eyes." Interesting. Unique. Two people are somehow mentally linked to each other. They don't become aware of it until they are young adults. They can hear the other talking and even see what the other is seeing. I enjoyed it. It's a bit hard to categorize it. The other day I watched a movie called "Cracks." Must've been one of Imogen Poots' earlier roles. Another actress I'm a fan of. She doesn't have a big role in it. Eva Green portrays a worldly teacher at a girls boarding school in England who is idolized by her students. She may not be all she seems though. A new girl arrives from Spain that throws everything out of balance. It was at times intriguing, somewhat troubling. Some good performances, the movie was a bit uneven and slow paced. Not sure if I would recommend it or not.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSun Feb 25, 2018 11:28 pm 
Went to see Early Man today - I'm a really sucker for impressive claymation! It's really good, very entertaining with good voice acting and spectacular practical special effects. My one minor complaint would be that it had a fairly predictable plot. However, overall it was really enjoyable, and worth seeing in theaters if you're a fan of claymation like I am - you get to see all that extra fine detail in the models that is missed on the small screen.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 11:58 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Watched "Wonder." I was a bit worried it might be emotionally manipulative or melodramatic. If it was guilty of either, I didn't mind. Very enjoyable, heartfelt, well crafted film. While I knew the basic premise about a boy w/ severe facial disfigurement going to public school for the first time as a 5th grader, there was much more to it. The boy, Auggie, was the central character, but the film managed to let you get to know several other characters and see some of their journey in life. All the characters were well portrayed. His parents, older sister, and several of the classmates and friends of both Auggie and his sister. The film packed a lot into its run time. Among many things I appreciated about the film, some of the teenagers were actually played by teen actors. It's refreshing. It happens so rarely in Hollywood. Usually you have actors in their early to mid, sometimes even late 20's portraying high schoolers. I also thought Julia Roberts and Owen Wilson were good as Auggie's parents.
Had seen a preview for this and this post provided the push to watch it -It was so sweet in a couple of places it made my teeth hurt, but for a movie that could have easily made a wrong turn and gone maudlin, it did not. It was well worth watching with good dialog, humor, and terrific acting. Thanks.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 2:08 pm 
Kascadia wrote:
Had seen a preview for this and this post provided the push to watch it -It was so sweet in a couple of places it made my teeth hurt, but for a movie that could have easily made a wrong turn and gone maudlin, it did not. It was well worth watching with good dialog, humor, and terrific acting. Thanks.
up.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 4:08 pm 
Broke the Movie Pass virgin on "three bridges" we thought it was excellent and FM was amazing. To telll the truth I was not expecting much but the synopsis does not do it justice up.gif up.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Mar 02, 2018 4:15 am 
"Thank You For Your Service." Based on a true story. Hard to watch, but well done. About soldiers coming home from Iraq, returning to families that don't recognize them anymore. Dealing with mental health issues and having difficulty getting the help they need. I'm sure this movie is the reality that many members and former members of the Armed Forces experience. Miles Teller is the lead, he's been excellent in a couple movies I've seen recently. Haley Bennett played his wife. I didn't even recognize her until the end credits were rolling. She's a chameleon that disappears into her roles. Also Amy Schumer had a supporting role, had a hard time believing it was her. A serious, dramatic role for her. Most of the rest of the cast I was unfamiliar with, but they were all good. Also a couple of the real soldiers they were portraying had cameo appearances in the film, I thought that was cool.