Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Oct 20, 2019 11:55 pm 
I watched this more than 10 years ago but had zero recollection of it. Known alternately as "All I Wanna Do," "Strike!" or "The Hairy Bird." Late 90s film set in the 60s at an all girls school in the Northeast. Quite a good cast early in their careers (well except for Lynn Redgrave, she was already well established)--Kirsten Dunst, Gabby Hoffman, Monica Keena, Rachael Leigh Cook, Heather Matarazzo, Merritt Wever. Girl power story with some good laughs. Don't mess w/ the D.A.R. (Daughters of the Ravioli) if you know what's good for you. Also had some interesting cameos from some young actors who would go on to some success--Vincent Kartheiser (Mad Men), Hayden Christensen (Anakin Skywalker from the Star Wars prequel trilogy) and Shawn Ashmore (Iceman from the first 3 X-Men films).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostMon Oct 21, 2019 8:03 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Glass" was okay but kind of disappointing. Shyamalan and his big twists. This one landed with a thud I thought.
I finally seen it. I watched the three out of order. Split then unbreakable, now glass. It was ok, but I wouldn't say disappointing. Some of it didn't make sense at first, but I get it now. Some of it was too unbelievable.. 3 dangerous men, and one affable security guard?( they kept saying super hero, but 2 where villains..?) The convenient news flash of nakatomi,,, err, I mean whatever tower that was.( I think they where just giving die hard a nod for Bruce willis) And they also seemed to break continuity by implying glass made Dunbar a super human in the train wreck. He only made him aware in unbreakable. I thought the acting of McAvoy was great. The amount of quick personality changes was a bit much. He did have me convinced again. I watched split completely unaware of what it was about, who was acting, or directing. I honestly did not realise It was dr Xavier from the x men the whole time. That's great acting. Good standalone, but the twist was lost on me. I also liked the pink room group therapy, ala one flew over the cookie nest The possibilty of another is still there. The anti super human org still exists, past 'patients' might realise they really do have powers, and others might too. Personally I hope he drops it.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Nov 10, 2019 10:39 pm 
A 2002 video of Peter O’Toole receiving an Honorary Oscar. This is quite moving to see if you have been around long enough to have seen many or most of these films. His acceptance speech is wonderful--succinct, poignant, and inspiring.
Per Wikipedia: He achieved international recognition playing T. E. Lawrence in Lawrence of Arabia (1962) for which he received his first nomination for the Academy Award for Best Actor. He was nominated for this award another seven times – for Becket (1964), The Lion in Winter (1968), Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1969), The Ruling Class (1972), The Stunt Man (1980), My Favorite Year (1982), and Venus (2006) – and holds the record for the most Academy Award nominations for acting without a win. In 2002, O'Toole was awarded the Academy Honorary Award for his career achievements.[1] Enjoy, ~z

Toni

Toni
PostSun Nov 17, 2019 8:49 am 
Ok all you race car fans!! and non-race car fans!!! "FORD vs FERRARI" Grab your popcorn and be ready to be supercharged for 21/2 hrs. Matt Damon and Christian Bale give solid performances here agree.gif up.gif up.gif

There is no Planet B
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Nov 18, 2019 12:17 am 
GaliWalker wrote:
I just saw Joker and it well deserved its controversial status. It's fantastic, thought provoking and Joaquin Phoenix is amazing...but. I distinctly felt uncomfortable with it, because there's been this unwritten rule that one does not glorify the bad guy. The movie doesn't do that, but... I'd say it's a must-see movie, but...
It's a sympathetic portrait of what drives a certain type of man to become something evil. I wouldn't call that glorification, necessarily. Agree that Joaquin's performance is fantastic and the movie is well worth watching. But, it's soooo dark. I mean, there isn't one happy moment in the entire thing and the only laughs are those where it's more of a reaction to something uncomfortable than something funny. And, jiminy christmas, seeing Joaquin that emaciated after rewatching Gladiator not long ago and seeing him looking beefy and well fed... hard to believe it's the same guy.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Nov 19, 2019 7:35 pm 
Toni wrote:
Ok all you race car fans!! and non-race car fans!!! "FORD vs FERRARI" Grab your popcorn and be ready to be supercharged for 21/2 hrs. Matt Damon and Christian Bale give solid performances here agree.gif up.gif up.gif
Absolutely! agree.gif What an exhilarating film! The choice of music was also great. The most fun I've had at the movies in a while.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostMon Nov 25, 2019 3:57 pm 
For Sama A very powerful and moving documentary filmed by a journalist, who with her MD husband, chose to say in Aleppo during Assad's brutal crackdown/siege on the resistance movement. Her daughter, Sama, was born during this time. Very highly recommended. We accessed it via Frontline/PBS. https://www.forsamafilm.com/

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Nov 28, 2019 8:57 pm 
Saw "Knives Out" in the theater this afternoon. That was a lot of fun. Great ensemble cast.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Dec 02, 2019 2:06 am 
Rented "Hidden Figures" over the weekend. I'm curious how closely, or loosely "based" on the true stories of these women it was. It was an enjoyable movie at any rate and definitely a "feel-good" story. As someone who knows something about cars, the opening sequence had me scratching my head. It had me wondering whether the rest of the movie was as technically inaccurate but I don't know enough about advanced mathematics to say.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Dec 02, 2019 11:21 am 
Saw "Knives Out" in the theater this afternoon. That was a lot of fun.
I thought so too. I liked the fresh take on the whodunit, although the 10min or so which they spent setting up the new premise, a third of the way in, was probably the slowest part of the movie. It felt like they just started a second movie in the middle of the one we'd gone to see. It was worth it though, in my opinion.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Dec 02, 2019 7:08 pm 
Midway...surprisingly decent, takes you from Pearl through the Battle of Midway itself, including the Doolittle raid, so that you have perspective on why Midway was important. Good historical action flick.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 12:31 am 
Saw "Knives Out" in the theater this afternoon. That was a lot of fun. Great ensemble cast.
Watched it today - honestly one of the best murder mystery films I've seen in awhile! up.gif It's weird how Daniel Craig seems to be really in his element when playing southerners. I never liked him as James Bond, but he's absolutely amazing in films where he puts on a southern accent! I've been really enjoying "The Mandalorian" on Disney's new streaming service. Aside from the Han Solo film, I haven't liked Star Wars this much since the original films. It certainly captures the spirit of those original films, and I love the western vibe it has going. I also love the way it emulates the format and feel of classic television. The protagonist is likeable and remarkably interesting, despite never removing his helmet, and of course baby Yoda is truly adorable. I will say that of the current 4 episodes the first 3 are definitely superior - the 4th introduces a few (hopefully not-recurring) characters who are pretty cliched and really poorly acted. However, they all part ways at the end, so here's hoping that chapter 5 is a return to form for the series.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 6:14 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Midway...surprisingly decent, takes you from Pearl through the Battle of Midway itself, including the Doolittle raid, so that you have perspective on why Midway was important. Good historical action flick.
Hey Goat, bit of a history buff here. in the previews I saw there were W*A*Y too many airplanes in the air almost all the time. There simply weren't that many Navy aircraft together in the air at any time during that battle. Sigh. Im going to see it anyway, but that bothered me a bit.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Dec 03, 2019 11:20 pm 
I saw "Ondine" probably around 10 years ago, didn't remember much about it other than I enjoyed it. Just streamed it. Fairly slow paced, but I found it intriguing. Collin Farrell and the rest of the cast of basically unknowns, in a charming Irish fishing village, w/ some mystery and Scottish folklore mixed in (selkies--seals who can take human form).

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostWed Dec 04, 2019 5:46 pm 
Watched “The Irishman” last night. I’m a huge Scorsese and De Niro fan. I enjoyed the film overall and really enjoyed the acting of De Niro, Pesci, and Pacino. I must say though, and I knew it wasn’t going to be The Departed or anything, that it was just kinda slow and drawn out compared to all of his other work. Top quality but man that ending was depressing!