Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Dec 26, 2019 7:48 pm 
Watched "The Muppet Christmas Carol" yesterday - really enjoyed it, though I thought it could have cut a song or two out, and the Ghost of Christmas Past was really weird - a creepy, poorly animated CGI ghost girl, why wasn't it played by one of the Muppets? It's the one glaring and dated flaw with the film.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 2:14 pm 
'Wind River'

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 4:09 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
'Wind River'
up.gif Really good movie. The third in an excellent trilogy for the screenwriter, Taylor Sheridan - taking on social issues with Sicarrio (drug wars), Hell or High Water (banking) and Wind River (murdering of Indian women).

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Dec 28, 2019 11:29 pm 
Finally got around to watching the first John Wick - definitely deserves all the praise its received. It is truly a worthy successor to the great action movies of the 80s. The premise sounds cheesy, but it is surprising how effective and well written the movie is given the straightforward plot and somewhat typical set of characters. In fact, I would say it is the superficially absurd motivation for Keanu Reaves's character that make him more relateable and which invested me in his character arc. The film balances its serious tone and over-the-top violence with little moments of humor and that cool one-liner fueled adrenaline that makes classic action films so enjoyable.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 8:19 am 
john wick number one was a-okay, some tear jerk scenes and some car driving, and quite a bit of shooting the bad guys... But I also watched number two and all it was was shoot shoot shoot. not much of anything else. I fear number three......

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 8:22 am 
Ya wanna watch something that will astound and amaze you (if you do some background research after watching the movie) 'spectral' some very interesting physics involved in the subject matter..... waiting now for the follow up (if they make one) for an einstein-rosen bridge, or maybe quantum entanglement.. or maybe not if they make it in the realm of interstellar......

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 10:27 am 
cdestroyer wrote:
john wick number one was a-okay, some tear jerk scenes and some car driving, and quite a bit of shooting the bad guys... But I also watched number two and all it was was shoot shoot shoot. not much of anything else. I fear number three......
There was some stabbing and hand to hand combat mixed in with all the shooting IIRC. Yeah, I enjoyed the first movie, #2 was way over the top, I don't plan to see #3.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Dec 29, 2019 10:31 am 
Nobody seen "The Rise of Skywalker" yet? I saw it a day or two after Christmas. It was entertaining. There was a lot going on, plus continuity issues from the previous film since it was a different director and they definitely didn't share the same vision (this was back to the director of "The Force Awakens"). I'll have to see it a second time at some point to solidify my thoughts, but this seemed to have the feel of the original trilogy more than any of the various prequels/sequels since then. I was pleasantly surprised to see one of my favorite actresses in a very brief but important cameo.

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostWed Jan 01, 2020 11:10 pm 
The girlfriend and I went and saw Uncut Gems last night. Wow. It was a unique cinematic experience. Very stressful to sit through, but that was the point. Absolute thrill ride from beginning to end.

graywolf

graywolf
PostThu Jan 02, 2020 12:33 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I was pleasantly surprised to see one of my favorite actresses in a very brief but important cameo.
I know which actress you're talking about - my wife identified her by her eyes & voice almost immediately. Took me a little longer, but I was very pleased to see her get a role in the movie. We both enjoyed the show and thought it was one of the better ones. ETA: I noticed that John Williams had a role in the movie. Can't say I saw him, but saw his name in the credits (besides the obvious music score credit).

The only easy day was yesterday...
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jan 02, 2020 6:07 pm 
graywolf wrote:
I know which actress you're talking about - my wife identified her by her eyes & voice almost immediately. Took me a little longer, but I was very pleased to see her get a role in the movie. We both enjoyed the show and thought it was one of the better ones. ETA: I noticed that John Williams had a role in the movie. Can't say I saw him, but saw his name in the credits (besides the obvious music score credit).
Wow! Williams has been scoring movies for forever, I wonder if he's ever appeared on screen before? That's interesting, thanks for sharing that. It's possible we aren't referring to the same cameo. One actress was on screen for several minutes but was wearing a helmet the whole time, with the visor lifted briefly. Sad to say I couldn't figure out who she was, had to look it up. The one I'm talking about you could see her face, but she was on screen for only about 30 seconds. She looked familiar but it took me a bit to figure out where I knew her from (a couple different series on BBC, recently won a Grammy).

graywolf

graywolf
PostThu Jan 02, 2020 6:27 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
graywolf wrote:
Wow! Williams has been scoring movies for forever, I wonder if he's ever appeared on screen before? That's interesting, thanks for sharing that. It's possible we aren't referring to the same cameo. One actress was on screen for several minutes but was wearing a helmet the whole time, with the visor lifted briefly. Sad to say I couldn't figure out who she was, had to look it up. The one I'm talking about you could see her face, but she was on screen for only about 30 seconds. She looked familiar but it took me a bit to figure out where I knew her from (a couple different series on BBC, recently won a Grammy).
You're right, I'm talking about the one with the helmet, with visor lifted briefly. Williams was the bartender with the eye patch when Poe, Finn & Rey visited the planet of Kijimi (I had to look that up).

The only easy day was yesterday...
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jan 02, 2020 9:04 pm 
Fletcher wrote:
Watched “The Irishman” last night. ..... but man that ending was depressing!
dizzy.gif you sound surprised that a mafia movie has a depressing ending. stooges.gif Reminds me of a friend's dad; we took him to see Romeo and Juliet, and he was upset about the ending. He said he wouldn't have gone had he known that everyone was going to die at the end. embarassedlaugh.gif I haven't seen The Irishman; I love mafia movies, or did. I don't know if I'm up for a killin' movie nowadays. Couldn't even finish a book of noir stories, which I normally love.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Jan 04, 2020 7:36 am 
I knew a mafia type guy some years ago. He was a sort o hit man type. He showed me some oil stock paper which gave him a penny a barrel on oil shipped. He had received these fro blowing up competetors tanker(which he showed me a photo of) he also had this rather odd pistol, 5 shot reverse turn cylinder. He had heart problems and was not very active.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 6:25 pm 
montana sky based on nora roberts book.. WALL-E kinda cutesy kid movie