Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 6:49 pm 
Interesting review of 1917 The author describes his struggle of watching what is essentially a single shot style movie... when he's been conditioned by fast cuts and continual stimulation for most of his life.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 6:56 pm 
I thought the cinematography was excellent in 1917. Highly recommend seeing it on the big screen.

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 7:36 pm 
I will watch at home when it comes out on red box, I have a projection set up with a kick ass stereo. I have seen a lot of excellent war movies such as Ryan. From the reviews it does not seem that it captures the tragedy and uselessness of WWI. Sounds like an excellent technical achievement, but not a must see. Not a Paths of Glory. I could be wrong.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 9:02 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I will watch at home when it comes out on red box, I have a projection set up with a kick ass stereo. I have seen a lot of excellent war movies such as Ryan. From the reviews it does not seem that it captures the tragedy and uselessness of WWI. Sounds like an excellent technical achievement, but not a must see. Not a Paths of Glory. I could be wrong.
Better than Saving Pvt Ryan IMO. The technical genius of shooting / editing this movie is more relevant than it capturing the actual tragedy of WWI. The uselessness of the war is nothing more than personal opinion outside the scope of any actual thought on the movie itself.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 9:40 pm 
Not really Titanic was a wonderful technical achievement as a film. It did not explore the complexity of the situation. As a consequence it has been relegated over time to be a piece of fluff and a launching pad for some of its actors. To me and many others WWI was the central tradgedy of the 20th century leading directly to WWII and the rise of both communism and fascism as well as modern literature which continues to today. Many films we fantastic technical achievements Birth of A Nation, Triumph of the Will - Olympiad, Top Gun, Marvel Films, etc. All are interesting and influential but not great in my opinion.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 10:25 pm 
F u c k it, see the movie before making an opinion.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 12:50 am 
Dude, it’s just a movie biggrin.gif

rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 6:43 pm 
mad.gif Movies are life!!!! Nah, stoopid overreaction (must be winter or something). wink.gif

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 6:48 am 
I saw Togo on Disney+ yesterday. What a great doggy movie! There's a sequence of the dogsled team crossing Norton Sound as it's breaking up which is pure tension; while most likely overly dramatized for the movie, the dramatic ending is reportedly true. Some stunning cinematography as well.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jan 23, 2020 12:40 am 
I've been on a losing streak lately. Quit on several movies, others I finished weren't noteworthy. I did just watch one I enjoyed. "The Art of Racing in the Rain." Never read the book it was based on. I didn't realize the story is set in Seattle. While some of it was filmed in Canada, some of it was definitely here. This could've been sappy or trite, but it was well crafted. The dog(s)--puppy, adult and old versions--were amazing. Kevin Costner narrating from the dog's point of view was a really good choice. Milo Ventimiglia and Amanda Seyfried as the human leads were good. The trailers did a good job of not spoiling the movie. Might need a tissue or two for this one.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jan 23, 2020 12:42 am 
Just remembered I saw another good dog movie several weeks ago--"Red Dog." Based on a true story, almost a legend really, set in Australia. Another good one, definitely worth a watch.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jan 23, 2020 12:54 am 
I guess I just stopped posting on this thread for a while. Streamed a couple decent movies from either Netflix or Amazon over the Christmas holiday. I'd been wanting to see "Ladies in Black" for a while but couldn't get my hands on it. Highly recommend. Good coming of age story set in Australia in the 50s. I continue to be really impressed with Angourie Rice. She's going places (just hope she doesn't keep getting wasted in small throwaway roles like she has in the Spider Man franchise). I hadn't seen Julia Ormond in anything in ages, nice to see her again. Interesting facet to this movie was a community of immigrants from various Eastern European countries. Another I'd never heard anything about previously--"Greenfingers (2000)." Clive Owen and Helen Mirren looking a bit younger than I'm used to seeing them. Based on a true story, about an experimental prison in England that was low (nearly non-existent) security. The idea was if you didn't treat them like criminals, they might not act like it. Several of the inmates took an interest in horticulture and ended up beginning an award winning program. Interesting story.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat Feb 01, 2020 3:25 pm 
The Gentlemen, the latest film by Guy Ritchie was great. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's fast paced, involved and one needs to pay attention, but so much fun. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 1:26 am 
What Did Jack Do? - 2017 - David Lynch A full 17 minutes of David Lynch interrogating a talking monkey, who happens to be a murder suspect. It's got a rating of 6.6 on IMDb, but as the French say: "la critique est aisée et l'art est difficile". Something tells me that Mr. Lynch really doesn't invest a lot of energy fretting about what people who post reviews on IMDb might think. If he did, he would never have made Eraserhead or Blue Velvet. If you are able to appreciate the genius of Mr. Lynch, I think this is one of his finer moments, and I found it reassuring to know that he has definitely not lost his touch. Truly ars gratia artis, irrespective of its overt irreverence. Currently airing on Netflix. YMMV

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat Feb 08, 2020 6:40 pm 
"Birds of Prey", the new Harley Quinn movie is great. It completely wiped the bad taste of Suicide Squad. The theater was surprisingly empty, but I have no idea why? I'd guess superhero movie fatigue, but this movie is not like a traditional superhero movie, The 'super' parts are minimal (just one solitary event); it's more of a regular action flick, and almost all of the fight scenes are amazing.