Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Jan 15, 2017 11:50 pm 
Jim Gaffigan's 2017 release of Cinco was great. up.gif up.gif lol.gif He strongly stands as my favorite comedian. Loved his anti-hiking segment and specifically called out us PNWers. Clean humor. Just be sure not to watch this hungry due to his injection of food jokes.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 7:35 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Mentions Asimov's Laws of Robotics once or twice. That seems to pop up in literature or film/television frequently.
Star Trek, The Next Generation's Data had a positronic brain. smile.gif Also, did you know that Asimov coined the word "robotics"?

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 9:05 am 
The wrod "robot" was concocted by a Chezk sci-fi writer

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 10:25 am 
SciFi writers rule.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 12:29 pm 
I watched the Hollywood version of "I, Robot" when it came out, years later read Asimov's novel that it was only very loosely based on. I think it's cool how much of what's come after him either directly or indirectly tips their caps to Asimov and his Laws.

gb

gb
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 4:57 pm 
gb wrote:
The Eagle Huntress, now at The Seven Gables theatre, is a fantastic documentary on a par with the best programs ever produced by Nova or Nature. It is the story, filmed as events happened, of a 13 year old Kazakh girl who lives the nomadic herding life on the steppes of Mongolia. Her aspiration is to become an eagle hunter, a cultural tradition to this point passed on from Father to son. The filming is spectacular for the vast steppes of Central Asia, for the beautiful filming of Aisholpan's Golden eagle, and for the wonderful filming of Aisholpan's emotions as she pursues her dream, supported full-heartedly by her very enlightened father. The movie also provides a good view into the nomadic life of the modern day herder, who holds onto his culture while taking on some parts of modern life. Wonderful throughout. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/dec/11/the-eagle-huntress-teenage-mongolian-nomad-oscars-otto-bell
Saw this one again today with a friend and enjoyed it as much as the first time. The photography and the love and spirit of both father and daughter is remarkable. Now at the Crest theatre. One of the very best documentaries of all-time.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 12:33 am 
Alice: Through the Looking Glass I highly enjoyed this movie, though not nearly so much as the first film in the series. Despite how much fun it was to watch, I couldn't help but notice a number of subtle yet significant issues that really bothered me once I thought about them. First of all, the pacing was really bad in the beginning - For the first quarter of the movie most scenes seem to have been cut short and hurried along to cut the running time down. Thankfully once the plot is set up this disconcerting acceleration ceases. The second problem is far more fundamental and bothersome once noticed; where in the first film Wonderland was allowed to be weird and wonderful in a uniquely dark Tim Burton way, this second film tries to make sense of Wonderland, and in doing so shoots itself in the foot. It tries to explain everything and give backstories and motivations to all the ridiculous characters, and doing this they rob Wonderland and its inhabitants of much of their charm and mystery. They try their very hardest to rationalize a place whose most essential characteristic is irrationality. Also, the darkly and morbidly fascinating Tim Burton imagery have been scrubbed away, and this movie feels strangely sanitized as a result. The visuals are really the only reason I enjoyed it so much (the high quality of the actors involved certainly helped too). Some parts of this movie are breathtakingly stunning and bizarre - whenever it went someplace new I couldn't help but be absorbed by the gorgeous environments. It's in these environments that the most interesting parts of the film occur, and they spent enough time there to make up for the portions that took place in more familiar locations. I feel like what we have here are tidbits of a really amazing film that has been roughly painted over with mediocrity. If they had just kept the unique locations and concepts, fleshed them out, and built a story around them then I think we would have seen something much more interesting. I still recommend seeing it, especially if you enjoyed the last movie as much as I.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 10:24 am 
Gone Girl Did not ever have an interest in watching Gone Girl but started watching it out of boredom last night. I was good enough that I had to sit and watch how it ended up. Easy to watch and difficult to predict all the twists in the movie.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 10:09 pm 
BeyondLost wrote:
Sore Feet wrote:
Tom wrote:
I really liked The Prestige. Best movie I've seen so far this year.
Yeah, that one was great. In fact, I have the urge to go watch it now.
I agree. Really good. Much better then The Illusionist
Watched it again tonight. #50 on IMDB and well deserved. up.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jan 22, 2017 1:00 pm 
Steve Erickson wrote:
Gone Girl Did not ever have an interest in watching Gone Girl but started watching it out of boredom last night. I was good enough that I had to sit and watch how it ended up. Easy to watch and difficult to predict all the twists in the movie.
It was a good book and I thought a well done adaptation to the big screen.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jan 22, 2017 1:10 pm 
I tried watching "The Deer Hunter." Didn't make it. I was kinda shocked when I saw the run time was 3 hours. About 30 minutes into it I just wasn't slightly interested in the characters or the story that was being told. I've seen bits and pieces of it on TV so I knew there were scenes shot in the North Cascades. Fast forwarded to the good parts. I think there was brief footage around Ross or Diablo Lake. Definitely a scene on the FS road that goes to the Heliotrope Ridge TH, w/ North Face of Baker and it's glaciers dominating the background. And then several scenes around the Mt. Baker Ski Area w/ shots of Baker and Shuksan in the background. What's the deal w/ that cabin they were staying in? I'm sure that's not there anymore. Did they build it just for the film and then dismantle it, or was it an existing structure that worked well for shooting the movie? Anybody know? It just cracks me up that they passed off the North Cascades for somewhere in Pennsylvania or upstate New York or whatever. When it was originally released, I'm curious if people actually thought there was some scenery like that w/ big glaciers anywhere on the East Coast. I know it was considered an important film because it tried to portray the effects the Vietnam War had on the veterans after they came back. I just couldn't stick with it. Christopher Walken and Meryl Streep looked like younger versions of the actors I'm familiar w/, but I didn't even recognize Robert DeNiro. I was kinda shocked when I saw the credits at the end.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Jan 22, 2017 1:20 pm 
Rogue One up.gif up.gif Indeed was better than the Force Awakens. The American Empire strikes strong in this one. The Death Star explosions were like that of nuclear bombs. And of course the usage of Darth Vader near the end was outstanding.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostMon Jan 23, 2017 11:03 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I tried watching "The Deer Hunter." Didn't make it. I was kinda shocked when I saw the run time was 3 hours
Kind of the Michael Cimino arc. Started with "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot", which was a fun movie and under two hours. Then went to "The Deer Hunter" which became long with some very unnecessary and expensive scenes. But what saved his career was the five Oscars it won. His next film was "Heavens Gate". It clocked in at almost 3 1/2 hours and is just full of awesome cinematography like the ice skating scene, but they are completely ancillary to the plot. That one movie did in his career.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Jan 24, 2017 9:36 pm 
All of the rave that Arrival (which I have not seen yet) has been getting piqued my interest in Denis Villenueve's work, so I recently finally got around to watching Prisoners, not expecting much more than a predictable hollywood thriller. Holy crap was I wrong. Easily the best crime / thriller movie I've seen in years. That in turn motivated me to watch Sicario, which absolutely blew me away. Like 5 stars out of 4 good. Can not recommend enough. I would further encourage those who haven't seen either to go in blind - don't read reviews, don't watch previews if you haven't seen them already. Just watch them. I was originally extremely skeptical about the upcoming Bladerunner 2049, because the original Blade Runner is one of the greatest scifi movies of all time and it doesn't need a sequel. But having now seen Villenueve's work I can confidently say I am 110% on board with the idea. If it's even remotely close to as good as his other movies it should be fantastic. Further, if he is indeed tapped to direct the new Dune movie that's in the works (not officially announced yet though), I will probably poop my pants in excitement.

Toni

Toni
PostWed Feb 01, 2017 1:35 am 
up.gif up.gif "Lion"

There is no Planet B