Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Oct 08, 2017 8:30 am 
20th Century Fox has the rights to X-Men and all of the characters primarily associated w/ X-Men from the comics. They scored a big hit w/ Deadpool recently, which contained lots of foul language, some nudity and over the top violence. It's so edgy and cool, you know (sarcasm). So they were working the language and violence angle again w/ Logan. I didn't particularly enjoy it because seeing Wolverine and Professor X as geriatric, pale shadows of themselves was kinda lame.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ree

ree
PostMon Oct 09, 2017 4:04 pm 
I kept waiting for the Wolverine to resurrect at that end, but no. I guess the little girl will be the superhero now. Some of the fight scenes with the little girl cracked me up. The cutting was just weird and I could easily tell when they used the stunt double. Banshee kid. haha Speaking of cutting... the violence was unbelievable. Almost like a video game or something. The story was pretty cliche.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Oct 10, 2017 7:26 pm 
Blade Runner 2049...was amazing! Easily my favorite movie this year, or even the past 5 years. It's nuanced, the acting is great throughout (particularly from a holographic character!), it looks gorgeous (I'm always a sucker for great cinematography), it's chock full of interesting SciFi elements, and the story is an engaging whodunit (although I spoilt it for myself slightly by guessing the main part). When the original came out it was defined by how different it was to other films of its era; this one manages the surprising trick of being similar to the original in its originality. An absolutely must see film.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Oct 13, 2017 11:02 am 
I found "Baby Driver" to be quite intriguing and entertaining. A bit different take on the crime caper genre. Some excellent car chase scenes. Lots of films utilize a soundtrack heavily, but I've never seen it so deeply embedded into the fabric of a film. Really good cast. Ansel Elgort, Kevin Spacey, Jamie Foxx, Jon Hamm, Jon Bernthal, Lily James.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Oct 13, 2017 2:49 pm 
I read the book(s)...creepy, atmospheric, vaguely disorienting... today I learned it's already been filmed and will be released soon. Looking good!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Oct 14, 2017 10:02 am 
Here's an article in the New York Times that ranks the films from Studio Ghibli . The auther, Mike Hale has compiled the listing based on his personal preferences. I have seen a few of these. My favorite and his is Spirited Away.
From the article: When the New York Times’s chief film critics ranked the best movies of the century so far, many readers were surprised by the work at No. 2: Hayao Miyazaki’s animated “Spirited Away.” The rest of us wondered why it wasn’t No. 1. ... The occasion for the list is a new, handsomely packaged edition of nearly all the Ghibli films by the distributor Gkids. It’s particularly significant because Ghibli is opposed to streaming video for aesthetic and commercial reasons. So beyond occasional screenings — like a series showing “Spirited Away” in select theaters around the country Oct. 29 to Nov. 1 — and a handful of titles streaming legally, discs are the only way to go. Each listing has a very short clip for reference. ~z

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Oct 17, 2017 11:17 pm 
Finally saw the latest Spider-Man. I'm probably very much in the minority, but I really didn't care for it. Way too corny and slapstick. Maybe I'm suffering from nostalgia, but in my mind the Sam Raimi/Tobey Maguire films from the early 2000s were much better. At least they didn't do yet another origin story, we've already seen that twice in the last 15 years. But too much of the movie I found tedious and irritating.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 11:50 pm 
I Am Not Your Negro James Baldwin - powerful and provocative, what a mind.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSun Oct 22, 2017 3:03 am 
The Mountain Between Us on a rainy Sat. Random couple plane wrecked in "Uintah Wilderness" which is actually B.C. (Revelstoke?) Fake scenarios, adequate acting, awesome Yellow Lab(steals the show imo). I drank a lot of liquids before and during movie and had to go BR three times. When I got back the 1st time I asked my wife if I missed anything. Nope. I did not have to ask the next two times. Tom

Toni

Toni
PostTue Oct 24, 2017 9:51 pm 
up.gif up.gif "Only the Brave" bawl.gif

There is no Planet B
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 02, 2017 12:20 am 
I've noticed a couple "not so new" movies posted in this thread, so here you go: After letting the DVD sit on a table collecting dust for about a year, I just got finished watching La Grande Bouffe. I don't think I've seen anything this funny since the last time I watched "Dr. Strangelove".
You may want to skip dessert after watching it, though. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Nov 02, 2017 9:43 am 
Finally saw the new Blade Runner. Meh. Super good eye candy, wow. Dude was interesting and the story was too....but it was *waay* too long. Found myself glancing at my watch with an hour to go. Cutting it to two would vastly improve it.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Nov 02, 2017 9:08 pm 
Finally got around to watching "Megan Leavey." Really well done I thought. Based on a true story, so I'm sure it's dramatized at times, but it's a really good story. Especially for dog lovers.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Nov 04, 2017 11:27 am 
Watched "Their Finest." Very slow paced, yet I still found it enjoyable. Set in England during WWII. Amid nearly daily bombing attacks in the city, people try to go on with life and support the war effort. The U.S. hadn't entered the war yet and Britain was on its heels. The story centers around several people who write scripts for films that are supposed to inspire the population and are basically propaganda sponsored by the government. The movie worked for me because of a good cast and strong acting. I've been a fan of Gemma Arterton for years. I'm quickly growing to appreciate Sam Claflin. Bill Nighy was great as a clueless, way past his prime actor that has difficulty accepting he's not very important anymore. It's got the movie within a movie thing going on. Interestingly the movie within the movie is about Dunkirk, which saw a major motion picture of it's own this year that was a huge hit.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Nov 05, 2017 9:50 pm 
I stumbled across a clip online and tracked this movie down. It's from 1999 and directed by Mike Leigh--Topsy Turvy. Here's a quote from the Wikipedia article: "...British musical drama film written and directed by Mike Leigh and stars Allan Corduner as Sir Arthur Sullivan and Jim Broadbent as W. S. Gilbert, along with Timothy Spall and Lesley Manville. The story concerns the 15-month period in 1884 and 1885 leading up to the premiere of Gilbert and Sullivan's The Mikado. The film focuses on the creative conflict between playwright and composer, and the decision by the two men to continue their partnership, which led to the creation of several more famous Savoy Operas between them." I thought it was excellent. I got the DVD from the library and watched it over several nights. There are additional supplements. I particularly enjoyed re-watching the film with the commentary by the director Mike Leigh turned on. There is so much to learn about Victorian England, London in the 1880's and musical production. I am not really a fan so much of musical theatre, but found this to be very entertaining and thought-provoking. The actress who plays Gilbert's wife (Lesley Manville) is amazing and has a lot of emotional depth. The film won two Oscars that year and was nominated for two others. If you want a deep dive into Victorian society and a very rich, layered world, this movie is for you. Great music--much of it is explained in Mike Leigh's narration. It's surprising that I had never heard of this movie. I hope I find more like this.