Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Oldguy

Oldguy
PostTue Nov 07, 2017 10:41 pm 
Watched "Only the brave" tonight. Very well done. Have a lot more appreciation for wildland fire fighters after viewing the movie.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Nov 08, 2017 6:44 am 
Thor: Ragnarok was a lot of fun. It was very different from the past two Thor movies and easily the best of them; in fact, for me it's one of the better Marvel movies. It felt somewhat similar to a Guardians of the Galaxy movie, in its look and the humorous tone.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Nov 08, 2017 9:45 pm 
"The Glass Castle" is not an easy movie to watch, but very worth it in my opinion. Well acted and crafted. Based on the autobiography of writer Jeanette Walls. Grew up with an alcoholic, neglectful father, they were homeless at times and were squatters most of the rest of the time. Heartbreaking, but bittersweet, had its nice moments as well. Woody Harrelson (as the father) and Brie Larsen (his daughter/the writer) were really good. There were 2 younger actresses that played her at different ages, both did a good job. Her 3 siblings were also well done characters and Naomi Watts was good as the mother. While "Captain Fantastic" was not based on a true story, this reminded me just a bit of that. A brilliant, eccentric father that is a flawed character and raises his family in a very non-tradiitonal manner. Interestingly two young actors appeared in both films (Charlie Shotwell and Shree Crooks) and did a great job.

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostWed Nov 08, 2017 10:34 pm 
Another vote for "Only the Brave". The story really hit home for us, as our oldest son is a long-time hotshot. All those hotshot team members are real American heroes.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Nov 10, 2017 10:48 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
Thor: Ragnarok was a lot of fun. It was very different from the past two Thor movies and easily the best of them; in fact, for me it's one of the better Marvel movies. It felt somewhat similar to a Guardians of the Galaxy movie, in its look and the humorous tone.
I'm looking forward to it - I'm a big fan of the previous Thor movies, and the Guardians of the Galaxy films are my current favorite Marvel series, so a combination of the two is extremely appealing!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Nov 10, 2017 11:26 pm 
I thought I was pretty much done with comic book movies and remakes of remakes. So sick of them. (Wonder Woman was an exception, though). But I do plan to see Thor:Ragnarok, because it was directed by the wonderful and wonderfully funny Taika Waititi. He's got a humor, originality, and sensibility that are all his own. I still grin every time I think of his What We Do in the Shadows, about four modern-day vampires of various "ages" who share a flat and just want to have fun. His more recent coming-of-age tale Hunt for the Wilderpeople was funny and moving at the same time.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Nov 12, 2017 12:21 am 
Agreed about Thor: Ragnarok. up.gif up.gif This was the Thor movie we've been wanting all along. The other Thor movies were meh in my opinion.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Nov 16, 2017 12:04 am 
Just saw "Wind River." I'm pretty sure I saw a review of it on here before. Excellent movie. Very intense. A slow burn thriller, takes its time to tell a story and let you get to know the characters and get emotionally involved. Some scenes are difficult to watch. Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen were both excellent in starring roles.

gb

gb
PostThu Nov 16, 2017 2:09 pm 
Murder on the Orient Express is worth seeing. The direction and detail in this movie - including photography to create and maintain a mood throughout the movie - is flawless. up.gif up.gif up.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Nov 16, 2017 6:54 pm 
Those who are burnt out on comic book movies probably will want to stay clear of Justice League. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Just sort of generic. Some good action, some good dialog, and some bad CGI. Much, much better than Suicide Squad and the theatrical version of Batman v Superman, but not as good as Wonder Woman or Man of Steel. It also needed to be longer (there are rumors suggesting as much as 50 minutes was cut off the running time from the director's cut); it felt rushed as it was, and if you're not really familiar with the DC universe, you're not going to pick up on a ton of the references throughout the movie.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Nov 16, 2017 9:47 pm 
Thanks SF. Im a big DC fan. Jason Momoa certainly has the build for Arthur Curry, he dosent look like him. Barry Allen most certainly wasnt Latino!!!!! I dont like that choice at all. Cyborg is like 6'8" tall and 2000lbs! I dont get that choice either??? All that said Im still looking forward to it. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Nov 16, 2017 10:53 pm 
I think "Unlocked" had a really limited theatrical release. It deserved better. Taut espionage thriller, a bunch of twists, well done. Starred Noomi Rapace. A couple big names like Michael Douglas and John Malkovich in supporting roles. Plucked Orlando Bloom off the scrap heap (can't even remember the last time I saw him). Worth a watch.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Nov 16, 2017 11:10 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
It also needed to be longer (there are rumors suggesting as much as 50 minutes was cut off the running time from the director's cut); it felt rushed as it was, and if you're not really familiar with the DC universe, you're not going to pick up on a ton of the references throughout the movie.
I sure hope its in the DVD!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Nov 18, 2017 8:08 pm 
I really enjoyed Thor: Ragnarok - it was even better than I expected! The trailers really had me a bit worried, but thankfully my fears were all layed to rest. I don't think there's a single complaint that I can level against it. Somehow it managed to be one of the more humorous Marvel movies, which considering Marvel's recent streak of comedic action films is an impressive achievement! Highly recommended. up.gif up.gif up.gif

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Nov 18, 2017 8:16 pm 
Not somehow...it's thanks to its director, Taika Waititi.