Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Toni

Toni
PostSun Jul 01, 2018 7:50 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Saw Oceans 8 this afternoon welcome variation on the Oceans films, fun film. up.gif up.gif
Also Jurassic Park... up.gif up.gif another fun movie!

There is no Planet B
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostWed Jul 04, 2018 11:20 pm 
Saw Adrift at the Crest. What an intensely emotional movie. Shailene Woodley is absolutely stellar in her portrayal of an amazing woman who survives 41 days adrift on the Pacific Ocean. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jul 05, 2018 10:50 am 
thanks ski, that will be a great distraction while I'm hitting the stairclimber. Which is also how I watched all the Winnetou movies as well.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
mike

mike
PostThu Jul 05, 2018 8:33 pm 
RE: Adrift, the real story. Tami was out for at least 24 hours. When she woke up the boat was in ruins and Richard was gone. She never saw him again. (I know Tami)

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 05, 2018 10:23 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
"...a great distraction..."
The Day Mars Invaded Earth (1963) This one is a real turkey. Oddly, a lot of reviews on IMdB give it rave reviews. Again, the actors could as well have been wooden cigar-store Indians, the dialog was insipid. There were a couple cool cars (a 1954 MG TF, for example) but over half the movie is two characters running around looking confused and lost on the grounds of a big Hollywood mansion, making this one-hour-and-ten-minute film about 45 minutes too long. Might work great for driving unwanted company out of your house, though...
Attack of the Crab Monsters (1957 - Roger Corman) The king of the low-budget "B" movies whipped this doozie together in a week, according to an interview with one of its stars, Russell Johnson (later "The Professor" on Gilligan's Island.) Creepy from the beginning (when a cast member loses his head) to the end, when Johnson's character "Hank" saves the day by frying up some monster crab. Short enough to be tolerable.
The Alligator People (1959) Starring the lovely Beverly Garland (later of "My Three Sons" fame) and Lon Chaney Jr. as the creepy drunken hired hand "Manon". Also featuring a way cool 1959 Dodge Station wagon. This takes "I should have told you before we were married" to an entirely new dimension when the heartbroken and abandoned bride (played by Garland) learns that the love of her life has evolved into a reptilian early version of Star Trek's "Gorn" (TOS episode "Arena".) In the end, Garland proves to be as competent a screamer as Janet Leigh in Psycho. A real gem.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 05, 2018 10:55 pm 
It Conquered the World (1956 - Roger Corman) A very young Peter Graves thwarts the efforts of a very young Lee Van Cleef (with hair!) when he attempts to collude with an alien from Venus who plans to take over the Earth. Another Corman low-budget pot-boiler full of thrills and chills, crazy monster costumes, and a couple cool 1950's cars. The sound of the exhaust on that 1955 Buick Special convertible is worth the price of admission. Broderick Crawford never had anything that cool. Again, Beverly Garland provides some great eye candy.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
gb

gb
PostFri Jul 06, 2018 8:17 am 
mike wrote:
RE: Adrift, the real story. Tami was out for at least 24 hours. When she woke up the boat was in ruins and Richard was gone. She never saw him again. (I know Tami)
Yeah, I read up on that. The movie hints at that at the start and at the end where it shows Richard sinking into the depths, suggesting perhaps an illusion of her finding him after the storm. Nonetheless her story is amazing and the acting by Woodley amazing in that portrayal.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jul 11, 2018 1:43 pm 
"Leave No Trace" is really good. Not about LNT principles. A military vet with PTSD and his teenage daughter are living off the grid, camping in forests and moving periodically. They get busted illegally camping in Forest Park in Portland and hit the radar of the CPS system. Excellent performances from Ben Foster and Thomasin McKenzie. Very quiet, understated film, I found it mesmerizing and heartbreaking.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jul 13, 2018 12:45 pm 
Hit and miss with a bunch of movies this week. Shut down "Downsizing" after 45 minutes. Not interesting and I didn't care about any of the characters. "Game Night" had a few chuckles but overall was fairly disappointing. I like most of the actors/actresses involved but something didn't quite work. Had a decent twist that was ruined by the movie continuing another 20 minutes and jumping the shark 2 or 3 times. Biggest take away was that Lamorne Morris (Winston Bishop from tv's New Girl) does a killer Denzel Washington impersonation. "Spinning Man" was a fairly intriguing cat and mouse game between Pierce Brosnan's detective and Guy Pearce's philosophy professor...until the whole thing collapsed at the end. Both of the leads were good but Minnie Driver upstaged them both. "Midnight Sun" is a YA romance that I found enjoyable. I was surprised to find out that xeroderma pigmentosum (can't be exposed to sunlight at all) is a real thing, although it was probably dramatized somewhat in the film. Stars Arnie Schwarzenegger's son Patrick and Bella Thorne. Rob Riggle was great as Bella's father. I'd never heard of Quinn Shephard before, she did some scene stealing as the best friend. Reminds me a bit of Olivia Thirlby, who I'm a big fan of, who has also done plenty of scene stealing as a minor character/best friend/younger sister type. "Gemini" seemed to be trashed by critics and film goers alike. I thought it was decent. Noirish, not really a thriller. I'm a big fan of Lola Kirke, she made it interesting enough for me. I've always like John Cho as well.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Jul 21, 2018 10:13 pm 
"Beirut" was an intriguing political thriller starring Jon Hamm. I never watched the tv show Mad Men but he's been solid in a number of films I've seen him in. Rosamund Pike was good as well, I've always liked her. Twisty plot, a bunch of different parties involved with different agendas, never quite sure who you could trust or believe.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jul 24, 2018 10:27 pm 
I usually enjoy Wes Anderson's films but "Isle of Dogs" was a bit too weird/quirky for me and not as charming as his other works. Didn't like it as much as his previous animation "Fantastic Mr. Fox."

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 30, 2018 10:38 am 
Attack from Space - 1965 Actually two Japanese shorts edited together to make one "made for American television" movie. The recently departed Ken Utsui stars as "Starman", the caped superhero sent by the high council of the Emerald Planet to save the Earth from an attack by the Sperhions. The ending includes one of the longest and most ridiculous fight scenes in movie history in which "Starman" single-handedly beats the crap out of the entire Nazi-saluting Sperhion army while laughing at them.
A deserved 3.6 (out of 10) on IMDb

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Aug 01, 2018 12:42 pm 
Caught a matinee of "Mission Impossible: Fallout" recently. This franchise consistently delivers. Some breathtaking action scenes and stunt work. Beautiful locations around the world. Convoluted, twisty plot. Solid cast. Brings back several characters from the previous film and mixes in some new blood, including Superman...I mean Henry Cavill. Something just popped up on my radar, I don't remember it being in theaters at all but it's on DVD now. "The Vanishing of Sidney Hall." A bit of a tough watch, constantly jumping back and forth between multiple time frames, and fairly slow paced. Worth watching though. Fairly intriguing and haunting. Logan Lerman plays a writing prodigy who disappeared after his second novel, not far removed from high school. His story is incrementally revealed on screen. Good cast of both younger (Elle Fanning, Blake Jenner, Maragaret Qualley) and veteran actors (Nathan Lane, Kyle Chandler, Michelle Monaghan, Tim Blake Nelson).

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Aug 02, 2018 8:18 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Caught a matinee of "Mission Impossible: Fallout" recently. This franchise consistently delivers.
I wouldn't say the franchise consistently delivers, but this one was great! I think the best entry in the franchise since the first one.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Aug 02, 2018 7:52 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
I wouldn't say the franchise consistently delivers, but this one was great! I think the best entry in the franchise since the first one.
While it was entertaining, I think the first one was the most convoluted of all of them. The second one was probably the weakest. I thought 3 was great and 4-6 have all been good.