Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostMon Oct 15, 2018 12:02 pm 
The Soloist is well worth seeing - the story of Nathaniel Ayers, schizophrenic and homeless, and who is a drop out from Julliard. Steve Lopez, a columnist for the LA Times, sees him playing on the street (w/a 2 string violin) and develops a relationship/friendship with him. It's an interesting story and also explores the nature of friendship - terrific acting From Steve Lopez's book/columns on their story Robert Downey Jr/Jaimie Foxx

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Oct 17, 2018 4:47 pm 
First Man up.gif up.gif more of a character study than a space opera but has some exciting scenes. Based on official biography of Neil Armstrong supposed to be very accurate.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 10:11 am 
"I'm Reed Fish" was an enjoyable, offbeat indie. From a number of years ago, I don't remember hearing about it until I stumbled on a mention of it recently. Jay Baruchel is charming as the lead. There's a jarring moment in the middle when you find out what you've been watching the whole time is a movie within a movie. Then there is a related twist to that at the end.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 10:17 am 
Watched "Hotel Artemis" last week. That was one of those, from the previews it was kinda hard to tell what it's about, but even then the ads were somewhat misleading. Not a great movie but I found it entertaining. Odd role for Jodie Foster. Dave Bautista was quite good I thought. Sofia Boutella played a butt kicking brawler again, kinda like her character in "Kingsman" minus the sword blades for legs. Also had Jeff Goldblum, Sterling K. Brown, Zachary Quinto, Charlie Day, Jenny Slate. Quite a good cast for a B grade movie.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Oct 22, 2018 10:14 pm 
"Ant Man and The Wasp" was decent. The first one was so unexpectedly good, this one didn't quite measure up. A bit too goofy. Some really talented supporting actors in this--Laurence Fishburne, Walton Goggins, Michelle Pfeiffer. That's in addition to most of the cast back from the first one. And Hannah John-Kamen as Ghost, the main antagonist (it's hard to call her the villain; you have to see it to understand), was really good. I'm a big fan of hers from the tv series Killjoys. She's had a few bit parts in several movies but hasn't been given much to work with. Hopefully this is the beginning of bigger roles for her in film.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Oct 23, 2018 10:40 am 
moonspots wrote:
Very dark (and *possibly* somewhat fact based) film about the dark web.
The dark web pops up now and then in books I read. Don't know if it's totally fictionalized or somewhat close to the truth. The concept is terrifying.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostFri Nov 02, 2018 7:30 pm 
The annual Halloween horror night was The Babadook. An interesting Australian movie about the trails and tribulations of parenthood. . . . . . . . Creepy with excellent cinematography and acting. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+babadook&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dthe%2bbabadook%26form%3dEDNTHT%26mkt%3den-us%26httpsmsn%3d1%26refig%3da78b7efc9d54439c907e9301062c2b27&mmscn=tpvh&view=detail&mid=3AE7CF6631B205E82B1B3AE7CF6631B205E82B1B&rvsmid=0B611C7AF8DBB4E9195E0B611C7AF8DBB4E9195E&FORM=VDRVRV

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Nov 07, 2018 4:20 pm 
Went to see Venom yesterday, and was completely shocked by how good it was! Easily my favorite super hero film of the year. It was funny, exciting, and well acted - the only weak points being a somewhat slow start and some shaky character development, but overall it was just a really excellent super hero flick. I appreciated it being smaller scale and more focused than other recent super hero movies.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Nov 10, 2018 5:25 pm 
Can You Ever Forgive Me with Melissa Macarthy as a literary forger and cat lady. up.gif up.gif major change for her from all the broad comedy roles and she nail it.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Nov 18, 2018 11:19 pm 
Ballad of Buster Schruggs latest from the Coen brothers. Was briefly in theaters now on Netflix. Weird western with elements of spaghetti and Tarantino with a large dose of new wave existentialism thrown in for good luck. Not for everyone comic ultraviolence and irony. Great entertainment up.gif up.gif up.gif

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Nov 25, 2018 2:47 am 
For some reason I gravitate more to documentaries on Netflix, just as I read more non-fiction than novels. Recently seen on Netflix: "God Knows Where I Am" - a fascinating character study; you don't realize until you're into it for some time that it's a portrait of psychopathology. Positively excellent production values, beautifully weaving location shooting, family footage and interviews. Another goodie: "Finding Vivian Maier", about an unknown photographer whose collection was discovered after her death; the purchaser of her photo collection goes on a hunt to discover who she was. Also have enjoyed nearly every documentary on musicians/singers that Netflix has, in every musical genre; including Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon fascinating profile of the music talent manager, & Mike Myers' directorial debut. I'll have to look at that Buster Scruggs flick, Malachi. Anything by the Coen brothers is bound to be good.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Nov 30, 2018 9:11 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Ballad of Buster Scruggs latest from the Coen brothers. .... Great entertainment up.gif up.gif up.gif
Thanks for reminding me about this one. I missed it when it came out in theatres, because it played so briefly. I thought it was an amazing piece of art. It had the customary Coen brothers look - the cinematography is so beautiful - it was funny and poignant and touching and violent and shocking and weird, but above all entertaining. As always, for this Coen brothers fan, I was left with a smile on my face.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Nov 30, 2018 9:28 pm 
Finally watched Buster Scruggs the other night myself. up.gif up.gif A great film, especially for a certain "je ne sais quois" mood. Tim Blake Nelson (Delmar in O Brother Where Art Thou), Liam Neeson, Tyne Daley, and Tom Waits play notable roles in a series of odd "short stories" of the old West.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
RichP

RichP
PostSat Dec 01, 2018 12:33 am 
I saw "The Old Man and the Gun" with Robert Redford and Sissy Spacek. Tom Waits and Danny Glover round out a masterful cast. I enjoyed what Redford says is his last film.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Dec 13, 2018 8:23 pm 
Mortal Engines - great film! Mad Max meets Star Wars meets The Terminator. Entertaining throughout, with some really interesting characters. I don't get why the reviews are so ho-hum.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani