Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Dec 13, 2018 9:19 pm 
Cool Gali, I'm intrigued by that one. I wasn't really planning on reading the book, but it jumped out at me at the library. Just finished it today.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Toni

Toni
PostSun Dec 16, 2018 12:35 am 
up.gif "The Mule" Clint Eastwoods latest, thought it was great!

There is no Planet B
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Dec 16, 2018 1:05 am 
Toni wrote:
up.gif "Mule" Clint Eastwoods latest, thought it was great!
I will check it out, tks, Clint is my ATF...his son is not bad either, watched a couple of his westerns.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSun Dec 16, 2018 4:56 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
Mortal Engines - great film! Mad Max meets Star Wars meets The Terminator. Entertaining throughout, with some really interesting characters. I don't get why the reviews are so ho-hum.
ditto.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif Just got back from seeing it today, and I too am completely baffled by the poor reviews. Thanks to the reviews (and the lackluster trailers), I went in with low expectations, and as a fan of the book series I'm happy to have my expectations shattered! It's been a long time since I read the books, but I remember thinking it'd be awesome to see it as a movie. The story may not be a word-for-word reproduction, but it's close enough, and honestly the star of both the books and the film are the crazy spectacular steampunk-post-apocalyptic future world. It's exactly what I always wanted out of an adaptation of the novels: giant moving cities swallowing each other whole, fantastical airships soaring through the clouds, killer cyborg assassins..... it's definitely worth watching on the big screen!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Dec 19, 2018 11:30 pm 
"Dogs Days" was probably completely formulaic and generic, but who cares? Fun ensemble comedy with a bunch of cute dogs that steal the movie and several ridiculously sweet story lines that amazingly all interconnect in the end.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Dec 22, 2018 8:15 pm 
Way more fun than I thought it would be...check it out. prime, 4 bucks

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Waterman

Waterman
PostFri Jan 11, 2019 7:16 pm 
Vice A few moments of black humor. A lot of the problems in today's world stem from our misadventure in Iraq.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostTue Jan 15, 2019 9:40 pm 
Kascadia wrote:
The Soloist is well worth seeing - the story of Nathaniel Ayers, schizophrenic and homeless, and who is a drop out from Julliard. Steve Lopez, a columnist for the LA Times, sees him playing on the street (w/a 2 string violin) and develops a relationship/friendship with him. It's an interesting story and also explores the nature of friendship - terrific acting From Steve Lopez's book/columns on their story Robert Downey Jr/Jaimie Foxx
And the continuing story: Vijay Gupta, a violinist with the LA Philharmonic and MacArthur Genius Award recipient takes his gift to the same streets: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/through-music-vijay-gupta-brings-healing-community-to-las-skid-row

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Feb 12, 2019 12:41 pm 
I finally got around to seeing the Incredibles 2 - it was at the same time exactly what I expected and a huge disappointment. It's honestly shocking to me that this unoriginal cash grab was directed by Brad Bird. I would say that I'm going to go into spoiler territory, but that's not possible because if you've seen the first Incredibles, then you've already seen Incredibles 2. In fact, I would say that if you haven't seen Incredibles 2 you should just watch the original Incredibles again because though they share the same plot they are hardly equally enjoyable. Incredibles 2 does try and fool you into believing it's a genuine sequel and not a sub-par remake, but if you ignore the window dressing it's clear that the underlying structure is identical. Super heroes save the day, but cause a lot of collateral damage, and negative media coverage causes them to be forced into hiding. One member of the family goes out to work for a corporation doing illegal hero work. Corporation is secretly run by an evil mastermind bent on the destruction super heroes. A secondary plot involving family issues leads to said family banding together to save captured family members and to stop the villainous plot. Two movies, one plot, and the self plagiarism gets even worse when you realize that some little scenes are acted out exactly the same as in the previous film. What changes are made are not for the better. I did not like the way they portrayed Mr. Incredible as a complete bumbling idiot throughout the film. In the first film he made mistakes, but he and his errors were relatable, and realistic. In the first film all the main characters were fleshed out, well realized, and consistent. In the sequel they have all changed, none are as smart as they should be, and both their behavior and their super powers are inconsistent. There are also problems with character design that are both baffling and horrifying. Characters from the original film look fine, but somehow the new characters they introduce vary from unsettling to monster-from-the-uncanny-valley gut churning ugliness. This is Pixar, working on a Pixar sequel in a series with an established and attractive art style, yet somehow they were unable to create character designs that match the original films art style. When new and old characters stand side by side it is jarring how they do not seem to be designed for the same movie. The most terrifying examples of this are the new heroes they introduce. These are not meant to be naturally villainous characters, nor are they some kind of mad scientist cloning experiment gone wrong. They are supposed to be normal people with super powers. However, each one of them possesses a nightmare inducing visage and a ear-grating voice to match. I suspect that neither Brad Bird or the many other talented people who worked on the Incredibles 2 were really responsible for this train wreck. The blame can safely be laid at the feet of the soulless Disney execs to whom artistic integrity and originality are anathema. This is the company responsible for perpetrating the Star Wars sequels and so many other derivative works of late. They have obviously decided that originality entails too much risk, and that its safer and more lucrative just to regurgitate the same films over and over again. In this way they can easily milk every penny possible out of an IP, and it doesn't bother them that this process of incredible cowardice and sloth gradually erodes the classic works of art that preceded such mass produced drivel.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Feb 13, 2019 11:53 am 
Yes, I2 sucked. Disney woked it just like the last three tedious narrative choked Star Wars films. The new lost in space series is nearly unwatchable for the same reasons. Disney has gone awol on content true to it's sources. If you have some story to tell, create your own compelling characters within your own new narrative, don't hijack existing stories and shoehorn your preaching into them thinking no one will notice.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Feb 13, 2019 1:35 pm 
Wow, so much hate for the Incredibles sequel. I really enjoyed it when I saw it in theater. Saw it again later on DVD and didn't enjoy it as much. Still I didn't have the distaste for it that apparently everyone else here did. The fight scene w/ Jack Jack and the raccoon alone made the film worth watching, probably the funniest thing I saw on film all year.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Feb 13, 2019 1:40 pm 
I have to admit that part was pretty clever and fun.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Feb 13, 2019 1:41 pm 
I stopped posting on this thread, don't know why. Seen a bunch of movies, a few really good, mostly okay, some really bad. One in particular I'll mention. It's not at all recent (1997), I think I intended to see it but never got around to it. The House of Yes. Cast included Freddie Prinze, Jr. and Tori Spelling (they were actually fairly big names back then) and the one of a kind Parker Posey. The film is disturbing, a central plot point is a very much taboo subject. It was based off a play and definitely has that feel to it. Basic set up, a young man goes home for Thanksgiving to introduce his fiance to his family for the first time. His twin sister, younger brother and mom are all bonkers in different ways. The weekend goes spectacularly badly. I really enjoyed it, very witty and interesting dialogue throughout. I've been a fan of Posey for a long time, she really shined in this role.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Feb 13, 2019 3:19 pm 
She's also the one bright spot in the Lost in Space reboot. No one does loose cannon like Ms Posey.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Feb 13, 2019 5:51 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
The fight scene w/ Jack Jack and the raccoon alone made the film worth watching, probably the funniest thing I saw on film all year.
I did enjoy that scene! up.gif