Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
Previous :: Next Topic  
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostTue Jul 30, 2019 11:49 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
"The Disaster Artist" got a lot of buzz.  I finally got around to watching it.  I haven't seen "The Room" that it is tied to.  It's a strange movie.  The older Franco apparently nails his portrayal of Tommy Wiseau.  IMO probably the best part of the movie was Seth Rogen and Paul Scheer as actual professionals in the movie industry trying to help Wiseau make his film, but he was so clueless and off the wall that they were in an impossible situation.

I vaguely remember when "Tiger Eyes" came out, never saw it.  Based on a Judy Blume book, never read any of her stuff.  Gave it a try recently.  Not at all the typical teen drama.  Some of the characters were a bit one dimensional, but the leads did a wonderful job.  It's mostly a story about learning to deal with grief.  Very powerful and well done.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 9:40 pm 
I watched the "Assassin's Creed" movie adaptation this week - man was it bad! I was interested in it because I thought it might be kind of like the "Prince of Persia" movie adaptation, which I really enjoy - after all, "Assassin's Creed" was originally developed as a "Prince of Persia" video game! There was the core of a good movie there I think, but I think way too much was cut, or perhaps just the wrong stuff was cut. Essentially it's two different movies - one set in a sci-fi future and one in an alternate history past. The stories are supposed to interconnect, and they might have if the film had more time, but as it is you feel like you are trying to watch an interesting movie on TV and someone keeps changing the channel when things are getting interesting. They should have cut the entire future sci-fi portion and focused entirely on the past. Ironically, this is what the games ended up doing.

Speaking of the games, I've played several in the Assassin's Creed series. They do an amazing job of meticulously re-creating interactive historical settings. They generally have interesting stories, engaging game play, and state-of-the-art graphics. The premise of the movie is certainly interesting, but the meat of the story is far blander fair than what can be found in the games.

The CGI is also completely terrible in the movie, looking dated compared to movies decades older. It's so bad that in particularly acrobatic action sequences you can clearly tell where actors suddenly transform into hideous CGI monstrosities. Clearly the people who made this knew it looked terrible, because they tried to cover up their mistake by literally burying the movie in dust. Every historical scene is seen only through a heavy veil of brown haze that transforms characters and scenes into a morass of sepia shadows.

One of the worst omissions from the movie are the historical characters that were so much fun to interact with in the games - from Leonardo DaVinci to George Washington, the games gave practically every historical figure a secret life as an Assassin or a Templar. In the film we only get Christopher Columbus for a single scene near the end.

It's sad that this film turned out so poorly, as the premise of the "Assassin's Creed" franchise could have lent itself to all kinds of unique and exciting movies. I got the impression that who people who made this film just read the synopsis of the a few of the games and put no effort into understanding their source material. The result is disappointing indeed.

--------------
Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 9:51 pm 
lol.gif  Video game based movies have a fairly dismal history, but Hollywood just keeps trying.  They seem to usually seem to miss the mark on the core of what made the game franchise popular.  They all seem to suck at timing, the movies coming out way after the game reached its peak in popularity and pop culture relevance.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 10:57 am 
Idocracy 2006 Mike Judd now available on Hulu darkly prophetic up.gif  up.gif

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
  Happy Birthday Snowdog, Man-inna-hillz!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: