Previous :: Next Topic  
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker

Have camera will use
PostSun Sep 01, 2019 7:26 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Backpacker Joe wrote:
If you havent seen the HBO documentary of "Chernobyl" I highly suggest it.

Yeah, Chernobyl is fantastic, especially the second and penultimate episodes. up.gif

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!"
Photography: https://www.flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani/albums
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostSun Sep 01, 2019 8:00 pm 
Have to agree on that one Joe, great example on self serving bureaucracy in action.

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostThu Sep 05, 2019 1:07 pm 
I've been curious to see "Booksmart" for a while, out on DVD now.  I ended up liking it, but it took most of the movie for me to decide that.  It's pretty crude, both some sexual language and I think they were trying to set a record for number of F bombs uttered.  I'm not sure what the point of that was.  It drags a little but overall the story of a friendship between two high school Seniors was fairly charming, played by Kaitlyn Dever and Beanie Feldstein (Jonah Hill's sister, I only found that out recently).  I thought some of the supporting characters, other students at the school, kind of stole several scenes.  Surprisingly some big names like Jason Sudeikis, Will Forte and Lisa Kudrow had tiny parts.  It was the directorial debut for Olivia Wilde.

While it was enjoyable, it's message is a bit muddled.  Don't be too responsible, and party your butt off while you're young?  You'll still go to an Ivy League school or Stanford, even if you don't take school very seriously?  Sure, that's how life works.  Oh, except for the one kid who was hired by Google straight out of high school for a mid 6 figure salary.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostThu Sep 05, 2019 1:09 pm 
"Men In Black:  International" died at the box office.  I thought it was entertaining, a middle of the road popcorn flick.  Not all that good, but certainly not terrible.  The little alien voiced by Kumail Nanjiani totally stole the movie.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Fletcher

Fletcher

PostSat Sep 07, 2019 8:17 pm 
Just caught Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Really, really good. I like all of Tarantino’s films but this one ended up actually being one of my favorites. Awesome ending.
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe

NWH Joe-Bob
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 8:29 pm 
Fletcher wrote:
Just caught Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Really, really good. I like all of Tarantino’s films but this one ended up actually being one of my favorites. Awesome ending.

Isn't that about the whole Charle Manson thing?

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

— Abraham Lincoln
rocknclimb

rocknclimb

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 6:24 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Isn't that about the whole Charle Manson thing?

Tarantino's alternate reality of it at least.  Really enjoyed it as well, but I'm a big fan of all his movies.

--------------
When asked "Why do you climb"?  Simply respond "Why don't you"?
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk

BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 8:03 pm 
This one's upcoming.  Should be interesting.   Recent NYTimes article:
Linda Ronstadt, retired from singing, is still a glorious voice.

--------------
"There are yahoos out there.  It’s why we can’t have nice things."  - Tom Mahood
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostMon Sep 16, 2019 11:15 pm 
"Little Secrets" is a charming family film from 2001 I don't recall ever hearing about.  Stars Evan Rachel Wood when she was around 14.  While it was probably targeted to kids and early teens, it isn't juvenile.  Well acted, good story, quality production.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostFri Sep 20, 2019 9:46 pm 
I definitely remember hearing about "Denial" when it was released (2016), but I never saw it til now.  Excellent film, good performances throughout.  It's a based on a true story legal drama.  A Holocaust denier has brought a defamation suit against professor and author from Georgia.  The suit is in England, where the legal system works differently than ours.  Instead of the burden of proof being on the accuser it is the opposite.  Worth a watch.

I also recently saw the last of the X-Men films from Fox.  I had low expectations for it, but watched it anyway.  It was a healthy dose of meh and who cares.  That franchise was horribly mishandled and bungled.  Pretty much no continuity at all, they all might as well be stand alone films.  The same writer tried for a second time to bring the Jean Grey/Phoenix saga to film and arguably failed even worse this time.  Good riddance to Simon Kinberg, Bryan Singer and anyone else associated w/ Fox who played a role in those films.  Maybe Marvel Studios can do something with it after a little cooling off period.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
  Happy Birthday Steven, Grizzy, ossyoos, lovetowonder, Lakes&Summits!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: