Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
Previous :: Next Topic  
Doppelganger
Gorecrow

Doppelganger

Gorecrow
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 7:48 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Came across a couple of surprises in the past week, I didn't realize they had made movies of either book so I was happy to give these a shot.

Jungle - A laid back, reasonably fun cruise through Yossi Ghinsberg's series of youthful mistakes and mishaps, the "keep up or the jungle will eat you" guide was admirably represented. A slow start and a few too many dreamy sequences, I would have preferred a more documentary style but that is almost certainly just me. Hard to see bright blue butterflies flocking around Harry Potter and not think of him as Harry Potter. No fault of the actor's, I thought he did great. The moments where Yossi took a single egg or spared the turtle, even amidst desperate hunger and fear, were always admirable to me.

Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far On Foot - John Callahan and Gahan Wilson should be enshrined as luminary artists of the 20th century imo. One biopic down, one to go. Lots of talking, Gus van Sant loves to let those chit chat scenes wander and ooze in whatever direction they like (off trail so to speak). But when the film is focused it can provide beautiful and fascinating glimpses into formative moments and aspects of Callahans life and mind.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostSat Oct 19, 2019 3:15 pm 
"The Art of Self Defense"....wow, did not expect that to go where it did.  Interesting film.  Jessie Eisenberg is a mousy accounting guy, gets even mousier after being assaulted and severely beaten.  On a whim walks into a dojo and quickly finds himself learning karate.  His instructor, who literally calls himself Sensei (played by Alessandro Nivola), take Jessie under his wing.  The only woman at the dojo, played by Imogen Poots, is also a major character.  Won't say anything else to avoid spoilers.  I was pleasantly surprised.

"Anna and the Apocalypse" hit theaters almost a year ago.  I finally watched it.  I expected it to be really strange, but was looking forward to it.  High school musical/zombie/dramedy.  I'll give it some credit for being different, but it missed the mark.  Started out campy and fun, then turned dark and serious, stopped being fun.  Wouldn't recommend it.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots

Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Oct 20, 2019 11:52 am 
NacMacFeegle wrote:

I'm really unhappy with the new season of Designated Survivor - why the heck did they decide to make it TV-MA? It's like Netflix is an edgy teenager who has just discovered swear words......

Agreed! It was pretty good up until then....and what a nosedive! I/we should have quit watching, but we didn't.

--------------
"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostSun Oct 20, 2019 10:55 pm 
I watched this more than 10 years ago but had zero recollection of it.  Known alternately as "All I Wanna Do," "Strike!" or "The Hairy Bird."  Late 90s film set in the 60s at an all girls school in the Northeast.  Quite a good cast early in their careers (well except for Lynn Redgrave, she was already well established)--Kirsten Dunst, Gabby Hoffman, Monica Keena, Rachael Leigh Cook, Heather Matarazzo, Merritt Wever.  Girl power story with some good laughs.  Don't mess w/ the D.A.R. (Daughters of the Ravioli) if you know what's good for you.  Also had some interesting cameos from some young actors who would go on to some success--Vincent Kartheiser (Mad Men), Hayden Christensen (Anakin Skywalker from the Star Wars prequel trilogy) and Shawn Ashmore (Iceman from the first 3 X-Men films).
ale_capone

ale_capone

PostMon Oct 21, 2019 7:03 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Glass" was okay but kind of disappointing.  Shyamalan and his big twists.  This one landed with a thud I thought.

I finally seen it. I watched the three out of order. Split then unbreakable, now glass.

It was ok, but I wouldn't say disappointing. Some of it didn't make sense at first, but I get it now.

Some of it was too unbelievable..

3 dangerous men, and one affable security guard?( they kept saying super hero, but 2 where villains..?)

The convenient news flash of nakatomi,,, err, I mean whatever tower that was.( I think they where just giving die hard a nod for Bruce willis)

And they also seemed to break continuity by implying glass made Dunbar a super human in the train wreck. He only made him aware in unbreakable.

I thought the acting of McAvoy was great. The amount of quick personality changes was a bit much. He did have me convinced again. I watched split completely unaware of what it was about, who was acting, or directing. I honestly did not realise It was dr Xavier from the x men the whole time. That's great acting.  Good standalone, but the twist was lost on me.

I also liked the pink room group therapy, ala one flew over the cookie nest

The possibilty of another is still there. The anti super human org still exists, past 'patients' might realise they really do have powers, and others might too. Personally I hope he drops it.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr

aka friendly hiker
PostSun Nov 10, 2019 9:39 pm 
A 2002 video of Peter O’Toole receiving an Honorary Oscar.  This is quite moving to see if you have been around long enough to have seen many or most of these films.  His acceptance speech is wonderful--succinct, poignant, and inspiring.

Per WikipediaHe achieved international recognition playing T. E. Lawrence in Lawrence of Arabia (1962) for which he received his first nomination for the Academy Award for Best Actor. He was nominated for this award another seven times – for Becket (1964), The Lion in Winter (1968), Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1969), The Ruling Class (1972), The Stunt Man (1980), My Favorite Year (1982), and Venus (2006) – and holds the record for the most Academy Award nominations for acting without a win. In 2002, O'Toole was awarded the Academy Honorary Award for his career achievements.[1]             Enjoy,  ~z
Toni

Toni

PostSun Nov 17, 2019 7:49 am 
Ok all you race car fans!! and non-race car fans!!!
"FORD vs FERRARI"
Grab your popcorn and be ready to be supercharged for 21/2 hrs. Matt Damon and Christian Bale give solid performances here   agree.gif   up.gif  up.gif

--------------
There is no Planet B
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
  Happy Birthday roos2er!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: