Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Reopen the Mt Loop???
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostThu Oct 06, 2005 8:31 am 
> Usually the progression is: couch potato---->touron----->hiker. OK, I'll bite - what is a touron? Is it someone who drives to scenic destinations and doesn't get out of their car, unless to take pictures?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 06, 2005 9:29 am 
Touron = tourist + moron, although some have gone so far as to broaden the term to ridicule those who don't participate in the outdoors to the degree they do.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Oct 06, 2005 12:43 pm 
no elitism around here, nope. how crazy I am for seeing any. tourons indeed.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostThu Oct 06, 2005 2:52 pm 
I personally would like to see them reopen the mountain loop. There are a lot of good hikes that are hard to get to without it. Or at least twice as long without car access. Plus there are some nice car camping spots along there as well. Now i'm not suggesting they pave it. Just that they fix damages to the road and washouts and reopen it (if they haven't already fixed them.)

Damian

Damian
PostThu Oct 06, 2005 3:27 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
What are you talking about MtnGoat. Who says hikers aren’t elitists. Hikers form one the most exclusive elitists snob groups on the planet. biggrin.gif Get with the program you big moron, and start thinking like the rest of us.

aestivate

aestivate
PostTue Oct 11, 2005 10:51 am 
GodlyLittleHikerGirl wrote:
I personally would like to see them reopen the mountain loop. There are a lot of good hikes that are hard to get to without it. Or at least twice as long without car access.
Uh, like what? There is only one trail affected, goat lake. No other trailheads in the closed section.

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostTue Oct 11, 2005 3:35 pm 
I did Goat Lk once a long time ago on a Mountaineers rain or shine outing and it rained the whole time. We didn't stay long at the lake and couldn't see much. So because of that one lousy trip and all I ever hear about it being overrun with people I haven't been back. But that was also before the newer, closer to the creek section was built and I've heard that's a pretty hike, so someday I'll give it another try. The history of the area is a draw too.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Oct 11, 2005 4:23 pm 
Actually the newer, closer-to-the-creek trail was a 1998ish restoration of the old trail. Much of it washed out again in 2003. Elliot's a very beautiful creek; lots of old growth, huge boulders - the new/old trail likely can still be followed. Before it was re-built, my freind Bob & I followed it a ways, but it's so lush there, and so many trees were downed, that it was very difficult; but that was after the trail had been abandoned for many years.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
aestivate

aestivate
PostWed Oct 12, 2005 10:06 am 
Quark wrote:
Actually the newer, closer-to-the-creek trail was a 1998ish restoration of the old trail. Much of it washed out again in 2003. Elliot's a very beautiful creek; lots of old growth, huge boulders - the new/old trail likely can still be followed.
Monte Cristo lakes, which is as far as you can drive from the Barlow Pass side now, is about .7 miles from the turnoff up to the Elliott Creek/Goat Lake trail. And as I understand it, the new/old trail leaves the spur road where it first comes close to the creek, after a long right-hand traverse--about another .7 miles. Which gives about a 1.4 mi walk on closed roads to reach the current trailhead. Methinks you could cut that down to a mile by extending the Elliott creek trail all the way down to the Mt Loop, close to the creek, as it undoubtedly did before that logging spur was built. That would save one long road switchback. Something to investigate, I reckon, when snow hits the high country.

whitebark

whitebark
PostSat Jan 14, 2006 11:24 pm 
Art Not wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
What are you talking about MtnGoat. Who says hikers aren’t elitists. Hikers form one the most exclusive elitists snob groups on the planet. biggrin.gif Get with the program you big moron, and start thinking like the rest of us.
This forum is "NWhikers" after all, not "NWsundaydrivers". We are an in fact an elite group, physically fit and appreciative of nature, and should be proud of it. As hikers, does the closure of of the mountain loop highway affect us? Not much in this case, as trail access is little diminished. In fact, if the closed road becomes a trail, more trail mileage is created. Look at the wild popularity of the semi-closed monte christo road to see the great benefit of certain road closures to the walking and hiking community. The Granite Creek road closure in the sno. Mid Fork area is another example of one that resulted in improved hiking conditions. Of course road closures can reduce trail access if pushed too far. For hikers, the cost/benefit of each road closure must be evaluated in terms of accessible trail mileage lost to hiking. For example, closing a major trunk road that feeds many trailheads would indeed cause a loss of accessible trail mileage and should be opposed. The Sno. mid-fork road above Dingford creek trailhead is not a major trunk road. and its closure will be a benefit in my opinion. The road itself will become a fine low elevation trail and no significant loss of trail mileage access will occur.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jan 15, 2006 12:49 am 
whitebark wrote:
The road itself will become a fine low elevation trail
ykm.gif

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSun Jan 15, 2006 12:57 am 
Please, stop removing my access up.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 3:41 am 
Quote:
For example, closing a major trunk road that feeds many trailheads would indeed cause a loss of accessible trail mileage and should be opposed.
you just argued that closing roads CREATES trail mileage. now you claim that doing it in the 'wrong' place causes loss of it. as for the MFK, there is already a trail the full length of the route which can neither see nor hear the road except for a 0.5 mile stretch prior to the DMG trailhead.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 11:38 am 
It's a ROAD! Re open it already... Dang Im tired of this crap.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
touron

touron
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 11:57 pm 
Quote:
In fact, if the closed road becomes a trail, more trail mileage is created.
This philosophy, taken to the extreme, would soon have us only hiking trails like the following: Lewis and Clark Oregon Chisholm Goodnight-Loving Just getting to Snow Lake would be a 100 mile ordeal involving fifty different eco-systems, prairie schooners, log rafts, and Bowie knives. hmmm.gif Come along boys and listen to my tale, I'll tell you of my troubles on the old Chisholm trail. Come a ti yi yippee, come a ti yi yea, Come a ti yi yippee, come a ti yi yea. Oh, a ten-dollar hoss and a forty-dollar saddle, And I'm goin' to punchin' Texas cattle. Come a ti yi yippee, come a ti yi yea, Come a ti yi yippee, come a ti yi yea. I wake in the mornin' afore daylight, And afore I sleep the moon shines bright. Come a ti yi yippee, come a ti yi yea, Come a ti yi yippee, come a ti yi yea. -touron (Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.)

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.