Forum Index > Trip Reports > Joe, Lillian, Ramparts etc 9/27-28/05
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 1:43 pm 
I thought I would just combine these two trips together into one report to make things easier. I wasn't going to go out on Tuesday, but my friend Lisa wanted to go up to Joe lake to look for some mines she had explored some 17 years ago. Sounded interesting, especially since I'm not at all familiar with this area - which will become painfully evident later. Lisa, Shasta(dog), Todd(birthday boy!), and I got a rather late start from the Gold Cr. TH(1pm), prompting us to run the road section at the beginning. A mountain bike would save a lot of time. The trail is easy to follow all the way to the lake, although rough and brushy at times. We lounged around at the lake for a while before we headed off schwacking around. Didn't find the mine, but I know where not to look next time wink.gif . Made it back to the TH well after dark by headlamp. On Wednesday, I hooked up with Laurie to climb Alta mountain via the "shortcut" route. This is an area neither of us had visited, so you would think we would bring a map, right?......ah, well, nope doof.gif Usually I print out a topo map of where I am heading, but my printer is currently out of ink. Stopping at the ranger station would have been a good idea, but we were already running late due to heavy traffic. Left the car at 11am and made it to Lillian shortly after. We didn't spend any time here since we knew time could be a factor in getting up Alta. We gained the ridge overlooking the ramparts and instead of just heading down, we ended up screwing around on some ridges, scrambling about here and there, hoping we didn't really have to go all the way down to the lakes. Well, you just have to do it. I suggested we just keep walking in the general direction of alta (north), and see if it would get any closer. It didn't seem to be getting much closer, but exploring the lakes was fun, scrambling around on rocks was fun, eating berries was fun, but somehow, walking all the way up to the top of alta didn't seem too fun now. So instead, we turned our attention to competition berry eating (laurie won), and a competition to see who could build the world's smallest cairn (I won). We lazed around the lakes enjoying what we knew would be the last nice day for a while. So I'm wondering if it really is shorter overall (mileage, distance, elev. gain) to start from the backdoor route or the official trailhead to reach the summit of Alta? PS: The tiny cairns we had built were all carefully disassembled so there would be no confusion to subsequent hikers and no distraction from their wilderness experience. PPS: It's that time of year again where getting an early start is useful - bringing a map is also useful. Tweezers would be super useful for small cairn building!
joe lake and mt thompson
joe lake and mt thompson
alaska mtn.?
alaska mtn.?
rampart lakes
rampart lakes
checking stuff out
checking stuff out
rampart lakes 2
rampart lakes 2
small cairn 3
small cairn 3

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 2:31 pm 
rotf.gif *small cairn building* ykm.gif I'm glad ya had fun!

don't believe everything you think
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 2:52 pm 
dicey... you questioned whether or not the middle photo in the top row was Alaska Mtn... I did Alaska a few years ago... from the highest point on the crest trail (just before dropping to Joe Lake), the Alaska summit is only 200 to 300 feet of easy elevation gain... I'm not sure of your photo's angle, but the Alaska summit resembles the bump on the left side of your photo... the peaky one in the middle of your photo is definitely not Alaska Mtn...

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 3:11 pm 
Ah, must be huckleberry

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
mgd

mgd
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 6:51 pm 
Nice cairn. Now I know how the ants get to the party. hmmm.gif

Don

Don
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 8:15 pm 
The middle pic is Huckleberry. I can't believe you cluttered our precious wilderness with obtrusive little cairns. I thought we talked about this? Now federal funding will have to be further burdened with the removal of yet more unapproved man made structures in the backcountry. What if they don't posess your nifty little tweezers? Ah, another expenditure on behalf of the tax payers. When will this thoughtlessness end? lol.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 8:36 pm 
Dicey you're awesome. That was a great read.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln