Previous :: Next Topic
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 7:33 am 
Eric
Quote:
if you are interested in lookouts another nice book to have is Ray Kresek's Fire Watchers of the Northwest.
Thanks Eric, I will get that book ordered from his website. Looks like a good one to have. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 8:37 am 
Gentlemen...a brief history of LB....don't fish...hate getting mosquito bit at lakes so no 'lake bagger'. Not a hunter, climber etc. Do like high places. Starting picking lookout hikes. Soon, had been to 80-90...thought I was hot stuff. Found out about Forest Fire Lookout Association and joined. Got it touch with Ray Kresek and got his book. Went to ffla picnic in 1997 on the Teanaway and met Catherine Stephenson ( then Chief Ranger of Cle Elum District) who told me of volunteer lookout program at Red Top Lookout....been there 7 years now at least one weekend every year. Told Ray Kresek I was proud of the 80-90 lookouts I'd been to and was told..."Bob, I hate to burst your bubble, but I've been to 1500 lookouts researching my book...." Deflated Bob persists and has now visited 179 lookouts and sites( In Washingotn....don't count other states....) Am currently involved more and more with trying to save Kelly Butte( TR tomorrow....) Have got the bug bad. Encourage you lookout lovers to join FFLA.org( hey it's only $15....) and get involved...or just enjoy as a lookout hanger on... How about a lookout lovers club within nwhikers? I'm in..... let's keep talking about them.....and visiting.....and encouraging the FS, DNR etc to keep them standing. Keep on Lookouting!!!! up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif p.s Geohiker...check out the Wenatchee National Forest Website and go to volunteer opportunities....look for Red Top...you can sign up to volunteer for a weekend at the lookout....your duties would be to keep the lookout open for visitors (during the day) and periforily look for fires (Red Top is not an active lookout although numerous burns have been reported from there including a 2004 one by yours truly..... agree.gif You too can stay in a lookout and get hooked. my wife and I and another ffla member cleaned up Kelly yesterday...the lookout is open although in deplorable shape and you can stay there.....ugly though....Park Butte is open to first come first served although if Skagit Mountaineers are there, they can boot you out to work on the lookout. Hidden Lake peak is open for visitors as is the notorious 3 fingers....Winchester is open likewise....go stay before the snow closes them up....heck, you can even stay in Pilchuck..... :embarassedlaugh:pps....the book is called "Fire Lookouts of the Northwest"

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 8:47 am 
Geohiker....oops, didn't really respond to all your questions....Heybrook is in the last stages of renovation. It should theoretically be available for rental next year....FFLA western washington director Forrest Clark handled the renovation and has done a great job and is going to work on 3 fingers soon.....

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 9:20 am 
Sorry on the book title mistake. Not sure why the word Watchers popped into my head but anyway Fire Lookouts of the Northwest is the title as mentioned above. In addition to the ones Bob mentioned you can also rent Evergreen. I've seen volunteers in a few other lookouts staying for a week or weekend: Granite Mtn, Kloshe Naniche (sp?), and Sun Top among others. Although I dunno what the setup or contact point for those particular places is. Burley Mtn I believe is also one that you can stay in at least during the winter.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 9:57 am 
I started trying to remember what lookouts I had visited in the last calendar year and I have a short list: Oregon Butte (2nd time there) Dixie Butte (Oregon - manned during my visit with husband- wife team) HighRock (Wash) Big Lookout (Oregon - closed for season) Carpenter Mtn (Oregon - closed for season) Anthony Peak (Calif - manned during my visit) Odell Butte (Oregon - manned during my visit) Black Butte (Oregon - closed,early spring) Scott Peak (Oregon - manned during my visit) Needless to say, I'll be adding to this list next year. Count me in as a member of the lookout group here at NWHikers. smile.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 10:58 am 
My list for 05: Moses Mtn Burley Mtn Mt. Constitution Kelly Butte Mt. Pilchuck Copper Mtn Hidden Lake Peaks First Butte Goat Peak Lookout Mtn (Twisp) Mt. Leecher Slate Peak Alpine Lookout Sugarloaf Peak Tyee Mtn Clearwater Lookout Diamond Peak (Umatilla) [Former Site] Silver Star (Gifford Pinchot) [Former Site] Mt. Beljica [Former Site] Mary's Peak [Former site] *OR* Copernicus Peak [Not sure on name? Next to observatory E of San Jose] *CA* Diamond Head [More like Fire Bunkers than lookout] *HI* Copper Mtn, First Butte, Goat Peak and Sugarloaf were the only ones manned at the time I got there although Sugarloaf is manned more as a visitor center and Copper Mtn with a ranger so I guess First Butte and Goat Peak were the only ones with people really looking for fires. Still got a few more on the agenda hopefully for this year if the weather stays tolerable including Shriner Peak, Jumpoff Joe, Mt. Bonaparte, North 20 Mile, Ned Hill and maybe Funk/Buck/Aeneas if my car can crawl close enough to the summits while visiting Bonaparte/N. 20 Mile. Lookouts at the top of my list for 2006: Desolation Peak Oregon Butte/Table Rock/Big Butte Dodger Point Three Fingers Mt. Spokane/Quartz Mtn Copper Mtn Green Mtn (If it is put back on mtn?) Cascade Peak Puyallup Ridge Park Butte Lookout Mtn (Marblemount) Sourdough Mtn Of course I have numerous other hikes including some former lookout sites and all told my list is long enough that I'm going to need a six day weekend every week to get them all done. wink.gif Long term my goal is to visit all of the standing lookouts in WA by the end of 2007. Excluding perhaps a few, or maybe more than a few (Think Colville/Spokane/Yakama Reservations) which I cannot gain access to.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 11:44 am 
wow....you are ambitious....I'd like to be included on some of those.....I'd like very much to go to Desolation and we could all split the cost of the boat.....Crater( the east one, not the summit...) Beljica are ones I haven't visited yet.....( in Washington)....I've not gone to Puyallup Ridge either but understand that a years pass now costs $165 which seems a bit steep for a visit to a lookout. Let's go!!! Please include me on Lookout Mt ( by Marblemount) too.....you will NOT be able to visit any lookouts on the Yakima reservation unless you befriend a tribal member and get him/her to accompany you to the lookouts there. They do not let anyone casually visit stuff on the rez....( although a certain nwhikers person with the initials LB has been to 2 illegally....Satus and Lakeview Mountain)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 12:26 pm 
Great list Eric. Just doing lookouts every weekend is enough to keep you totally busy. Way to go. up.gif I knew I'd forget some: Snow Mtn (Oregon - closed) Vinegar Hill (Oregon - gone) Lookout Mtn (near Prairie City - gone) Great places but even better when still existing and maintained.

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 1:53 pm 
Quote:
I'd like to be included on some of those.....I'd like very much to go to Desolation and we could all split the cost of the boat.....Crater( the east one, not the summit...) Beljica are ones I haven't visited yet.....( in Washington)....I've not gone to Puyallup Ridge either but understand that a years pass now costs $165 which seems a bit steep for a visit to a lookout. Let's go!!! Please include me on Lookout Mt ( by Marblemount) too.....you will NOT be able to visit any lookouts on the Yakima reservation unless you befriend a tribal member and get him/her to accompany you to the lookouts there. They do not let anyone casually visit stuff on the rez....( although a certain nwhikers person with the initials LB has been to 2 illegally....Satus and Lakeview Mountain)
Sounds good. Desolation would be a good one to get together on next summer because of the boat ride. From what I've read it is $50 regardless of the number of people and you can have up to 6 people. Crater is a good one to do as well although that one is a huffer and puffer of a dayhike IIRC. No maps in front of me though as I'm sitting here at work at the moment. Beljica is one you should definitely do. Pretty quick hike and the summit has a superb view of Gobblers Knob two ridges over with Rainier looming majestically over it. Yeah Puyallup Ridge might not go. I'm definitely not paying $165 to Weyerhauser or whomever has leased Puyallup Ridge. There is a trip report on this site actually of someone who visited there although I don't remember the route. I think it can be visited with a fairly short trip by heading West from the Glacier View area. You can actually see Puyallup Ridge from Beljica; it's not that far as the crow flies. Not sure how it will all work out and not saying I would trespass or anything but just that I want to look into it and see what can be done.
Quote:
wow....you are ambitious....
I'm only ambitious when planning, not so much when actually hiking. I am easily persuaded to do something more relaxing as soon as that alarm rings at dark o'clock or the rain starts coming down or hte trail gets steep... wink.gif
Quote:
you will NOT be able to visit any lookouts on the Yakima reservation unless you befriend a tribal member and get him/her to accompany you to the lookouts there. They do not let anyone casually visit stuff on the rez....( although a certain nwhikers person with the initials LB has been to 2 illegally....Satus and Lakeview Mountain)
Yeah I've heard that will be tough. I do have a friend who works for the Indian Health Board which gives her access to all of the reservation lands in the NW. But I doubt that she would directly facilitate me getting out there but she might be able to hook me up with a tribe member. Just speculating. I figure I do what I can and if I can't gain access then so be it. Do you know what the access situation is on the Colville or Spokane Reservations? I did Moses Mtn on the Colville this summer although to be perfectly honest I didn't ask anyone for permission. There was nothing mentioned about access in the 50 Summits in Eastern WA book and I saw no signage so I just went ahead and did it and I didn't directly run into anyone all day so it turned out fine. But I'm curious what the official line is because there are some other lookouts up there on both and I think that some of htem are still working lookouts.
Quote:
Great list Eric.
I see at least four, 2 in WA, 1 in OR and 1 in CA on that list that you have probably been to yourself for reasons other than the lookout. And we could throw High Rock in there too if were talking about CoGPP. And you may have even visited some of the other ones like Moses Mtn with low key saddles and big P. I know what you crazy COHP/COGPP/Prominence list bagging hikers are up to. tongue.gif

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 2:29 pm 
It's fun tagging lookout sites. This year I've only been to Davis, Lookout, Cispus, Hurricane Hill, both Craters, Church, Pilchuck, and Hidden Lakes. Lifelist total is only 69. Got me eye on the elusive Blackjack Ridge, near Silverton. We followed the abandoned trail from Mallardy Ridge over three peaks of 400'P but didn't drop far enough down Blackjack Ridge to find any lookout site. I suspect it's considerably lower than Kresek's information... perhaps at el. 3100. One of the proprieters of a Silverton antique store used to go up there. My guess is the old trail up there was right across the river from the Marten Creek trail. If anyone is interested in a brushbash to find this spot PM me. After trying the old road paralleling the river (ultra brushy) it might be easier to ford the river at the campground and fight the jungle. Maybe trail remnants remain...

mgd

mgd
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 2:37 pm 
Dufus, you might want to check with Sawyer or Lopper. assuming they haven't bagged this lookout already. BTW, what would you say is the best lookout you have been to?

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 2:49 pm 
Hard to pick a favorite, but here are some superb lookout sites for many different reasons: Adams, Crater, David, Flower Dome, Gardner, Jumbo, Kodak, Lassen, Miners Ridge, Pugh, Remmel, Stilleto, Three Fingers. Round (just did that yesterday, forgot to mention). No evidence of a building but we found trail remnants pretty high on the mountain. A buddy of mine says the following six are the "best" lookouts: Three Fingers Pugh Crater Pyramid MacGregor David I've checked with Sawyer and he hasn't been to Blackjack.

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostMon Oct 10, 2005 12:06 am 
Hmm now I'm curious where that Blackjack lookout is at. I assume that you covered both Point 4519 and then 4285 and saw no signs at either place Dufus? The next most obvious place besides that would seem to be on the bench between 3000-3400 feet or so. Weird info in both books. Kresek gives the elevation as 4400 plus or minus but states that it is located along the NW point of the ridge so you would think he would indicate Point 4285. Spring has some obviously incorrect info at least at present as he states it is in Township 30 as well as saying there is road access. But his elevation of 4519 matches the SE highpoint of the ridge. Steve Fox says "Blackjack Ridge peaks w/DF. Abandoned trail nearly gone. Very brushy. Didn't find lookout." http://www.eskimo.com/~sfox/SJF/HIKE/h2003.htm Couldn't find anything else on google except a bunch of crap on the blackjack ridge in the icicle. This is a fairly new USGS as such things go. I wonder perhaps if the previous incarnation of the Silverton quad or even the one before that given that this lookout was waxed in 1950 would have the location marked? The ridge leading off from right below the campground looks to have about the most gradual slopes based on the topo and would seem like about the most direct and simple location from which to build a trail up to the ridgeline I would think.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Oct 10, 2005 9:10 am 
Nope, didn't see anything there. Majors and McCollum mention the old trail, which is on the 1961 Mt Baker Nat'l Forest map. Check out this map he has:

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Aug 07, 2006 12:32 pm 
Lookout Bob, We made the drive up to Sturgill via the Mann's Creek reservoir road and met Iris the lookout. That road is 21.5 miles to a saddle that is just below the lookout and the road is pretty decent its whole length. Iris mentioned that she has been there for ten years now and was able to point out the peaks in the to us. Any one heading to Weiser should consider stopping in and saying hello to Iris. Nice lady. up.gif