Forum Index > Trail Talk > Need easy larch viewing
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cheakamus

cheakamus
PostWed Sep 28, 2005 10:27 pm 
I am hoping to entice my wife, a non-hiker, into the mountains this coming weekend with the promise of spectacular fall color, especially yellow larches. Could someone recommend an easy hike--max. 1000-1200' vertical, 5-6 miles roundtrip--where we would likely see the larches at their peak? Preferably no more than 2 hours' drive from Seattle, if possible. Thanks in advance.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike E.

Mike E.
PostWed Sep 28, 2005 11:06 pm 
Cheakamus, I can think of several really easy places to see some good larch viewing. I don't know if they're turning down in the valley yet, but the Icicle Gorge interpretive trail has a good display of larches just off the trail about a mile from the Chatter Creek guard station. Very pretty flat trail and you can take her to lunch or dinner in Leavenworth. There are actually a lot of larch at low elevations and wherever they are, you will likely also find the elusive chanterelle mushroom. If you want to go farther out, but not too far from the car there are good areas off of Blewett Pass up on the Liberty Beehive road just a couple of miles from Haney meadow. Also there are some nice low elevation gain trails off of the same road from the Wenatchee side up on Mission Ridge. You can go up to a beautiful little lake right up from the Mission Ridge ski area parking lot, which is surrounded by larches. Might be a few hunters out in these spots, I'm not sure when they start harrassing the poor elk. If they haven't started yet, you might get to see some elk too. If you want to stay closer to home the Esmerelda basin at the end of the Teanaway usually has a nice display as do most of the trails up the Teanaway when you gain some elevation.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Sep 28, 2005 11:31 pm 
Another nice area for EZ larch viewing is Washington Pass. You have Blue Lake (?3 miles RT), Cuttthroat Lakes (?4 miles RT) and a few other hikes nearby. There are some decent campgrounds just E of the Pass too. If she wants to sleep indoors, check out the Idle A While motel. up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 1:14 am 
If you take Blewitt Pass to the top and turn east on the signed FS road to Haney Meadows you'll find lots of larch trees on the way to the top of Table Mountain and Lion Rock. Many miles of hiking up on top of the mountain or just drive the road for incredible views that will make the wifey happy.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 11:29 am 
A friend of mine complained that the larch around Blewett Pass and Table Mountain just didn't do it for her. It didn't matter how many square miles of these unique trees there were,
Mission Ridge  larch '04
Mission Ridge larch '04
on the slopes of the Wenatchee Mountains they were somehow just "forest". So, if it's larch in an alpine setting that you're looking for, follow Marylou's suggestion and try Blue Lake off the North Cascades Highway (a longer drive than you had in mind); or follow Backpacker Joe's example and spend the weekend at Scottish Lakes High Camp (see his Chiwaukum thread for great larch photos). However, if you'll be satisfied with forests of larch, and if you and your wife like going gourmet once in awhile, then follow Larch smile.gif and me down off Table Mountain to Ellensburg for dinner. The Valley Cafe has amazing food at reasonable prices. David

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 1:02 pm 
To add on to what Mike E said, if you drive further on Liberty - Beehive from the Wenatchee side just beyond where the Mission Ridge trail intersects is a obscure trail that leads 2 miles to the Misson Peak (6900'), beautiful area, open meadow, a lake that serves as a reservoir. A great winter snowshoe which I did last year and tremendous views 360. That is easy pickings, or see the TR I just posted on Crow Hill for bomber views with minimal effort and distance. For dayhikers the Squilchuck trauil out of Mission Ridge Ski resort goes two miles to Liberty - Beehive Rd. folow the road about a mile, then hit the unofficial well graded path that leads to Mission Peak (10 miles roundtrip). up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 1:40 pm 
There are also many on the East side of Chinook Pass.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
cheakamus

cheakamus
PostSat Oct 01, 2005 10:30 am 
Thanks, everyone. We'll probably try to head up Highway 20 (haven't been there for at least 10 years, in any case), but probably not this weekend--too rainy!
Mike E. wrote:
There are actually a lot of larch at low elevations and wherever they are, you will likely also find the elusive chanterelle mushroom.
Not so elusive this year. Like the blueberries, chanterelles have been thick on the ground, at least where I pick. I got about 20 lbs. in an hour three weeks ago and had to stop picking because I knew I'd never be able to process them all in good time. Both gold and white in abundance. But that was on the west side. I've no experience of larch forests and didn't know they grew there too.