Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > the Stewardship forum?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Oct 02, 2005 2:14 pm 
I see something was locked today. Are we not to discuss environmental issues here? That seems not right. uhh.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Oct 02, 2005 2:27 pm 
A while back I recall you indicating to me that you felt global warming debate was politics and not hiking related. uhh.gif I agree it's a fine line, but perhaps you can explain the waffling on the hiking relevance? In the past, threads on global warming have devolved quickly into politics. The last time.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Oct 02, 2005 2:35 pm 
If we can't talk about anything that's even possibly related to global warming (or "periodic temperature shifts"), well, that's going to take a lot off the table. Forest fires, weather, logging, many things we talk about here could have some relationship to the temperature of the earth's atmosphere.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Oct 02, 2005 2:43 pm 
I didn't say that.

greg

greg
PostSun Oct 02, 2005 2:53 pm 
Does seem a bit precipitous. Global warming, if it exists, would have a large effect on hiking opportunities and certainly could be considered a stewardship issue.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Oct 02, 2005 3:12 pm 
Guidelines
I agree that guidelines would be good. History. Stewardship. Whatever ..

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Oct 02, 2005 3:17 pm 
marylou wrote:
If you are going to nip off threads right at the beginning like that, it might help us if you at least provided some guidelines then. Can't play by the rules if we don't know what they are, ya know. smile.gif PS. That locked thread you linked to wasn't really about global warming, it was some bullcrap about capitalism that had NOTHING to do with anything hiking or outdoors-related. That thread just plain sucked is all. down.gif
Another example when it was here: http://www.enwh.net/viewtopic.php?t=7797 Maybe you can unlock it over at ENWH.
Snowbrushy wrote:
I agree that guidelines would be good. History. Stewardship. Whatever ..
Guidelines have been up for almost year. See the sticky at the top of this forum.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSun Oct 02, 2005 3:26 pm 
Tom wrote:
global warming debate was politics and not hiking related… this subject devolve quickly into politics in the past…
My post had no politics in it, nor was it my intent that it “devolve” into a “politics discussion.” Global warming and other environmental issues can be discussed in a relatively politics-neutral manner, with the focus on the evidence and science. Such issues are certainly hiking-related. Though I’m surprised, I understand your jump to lock the thread. But, citing my post as not “hiking-related” — when the Stewardship forum is full of posts regarding ranger stations for sale, job postings, skunks and other issues — is a stretch.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostSun Oct 02, 2005 3:27 pm 
I think it's been fine as currently enforced. Global warming in general I think we all know how that argument turns out. It will get into a tiff over causes and actions that should or should not be taken and become just a back and forth between certain parties whose identity we can probably guess beforehand. wink.gif If you want to take about how global warming and lesser snow/glaciers will impact routes or views or whatever me thinks that is legit. I'm genuinely curious for instance about whether certain glacier traverses will have boot beaten trails in a few decades. New Lakes. Changing hiking seasons and maybe more rain or less skiing or whatever effects outdoor activities would be. But that's just my take so whatever.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSun Oct 02, 2005 3:42 pm 
Letting a thread with the topic of global warming proceed, with its interesting input and discussion, will only benefit the forum. If it gets out of hand, like any other thread, then lock it. Never letting such input and discussion see the light of day is a loss.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Oct 02, 2005 3:49 pm 
Blue Dome wrote:
But, citing my post as not “hiking-related” — when the Stewardship forum is full of posts regarding ranger stations for sale, job postings, skunks and other issues — is a stretch.
Well, for someone who can't resist wishing happy birthday to political figures in the birthday thread wink.gif my judgment was the likelihood of a global warming thread you initiated heading left, right, and then south was quite high, nonwithstanding what has resulted every other time global warming has been discussed here. As far as the other posts in the stewardship forum, on balance I would say they do have relevance to hiking. And just to clarify, I was not citing your post as not hiking related, but rather the topic.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSun Oct 02, 2005 4:04 pm 
Tom wrote:
Well, for someone who can't resist wishing happy birthday to political figures in the birthday thread wink.gif my judgment was…
If your guidelines are to lock threads based on your judgment of the thread-initiator, and not on the merits of the topic, then so be it. (I knew no political discussion would result from my Happy Birthday wishes. They were simple payments of respect to historical figures.)

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Oct 02, 2005 4:07 pm 
I wonder if it's the "Stewardship" forum that tends to be political, rather than the particular topic? Blue Dome's global warming post seemed perfectly innocent to me, and very much related to hiking. It applies to everything from "Freshies in the Forecast" to Dicey's moats. It may be more appropriate in "Trail Talk", but I think just locking it was precipitous. In and of itself, the article was not political. David

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSun Oct 02, 2005 4:11 pm 
Scrooge, Thanks. The article appeared in the Science & Space section of the CNN Web site. I considered posting it in “Trail Talk,” but thought it more appropriate for “Stewardship.”

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Oct 02, 2005 4:53 pm 
BD, I'm sure your reasons for posting birthday wishes to Jimmy Carter and Ghandi were as innocent as stated. wink.gif No doubt you're looking forward to BPJ posting birthday wishes to Reagan in February, as much as he is looking forward to someone posting birthday wishes to Clinton in August.
Quote:
If your guidelines are to lock threads based on your judgment of the thread-initiator, and not on the merits of the topic, then so be it.
As I stated and you neglected to quote, the merits of the topic, past history of said topic, as well as past feedback from others who felt global warming debate was politics and "not hiking related" were the primary reasons for locking it. I will unlock that thread as long as folks leave the pure politics out.