Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Book Gloating, Part IV
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 8:34 am 
An aggie huh? Did you do the elephant walk MCaver? rotf.gif Oh wait, can I say elephant or is that a senior word? Gotta love those Aggie traditions: a special scoreboard just so that deceased dogs will know the score, the midnight gatherings to practice yelling, the ritualistic group testicle squeezing etc. I'm sure Texas AM is a nice enough university but their cult aspects still crack me up.* *=I suppose I should give a disclaimer though and admit that I have minor connections to the T-Sips.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 9:17 am 
Eric wrote:
An aggie huh? Did you do the elephant walk MCaver? Oh wait, can I say elephant or is that a senior word?
I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. I never participated in one single school event the entire time I went there, including Bonfire (pronounced "bahn-fahr"). It was simply a free education. agree.gif

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 10:17 am 
Did you just go to grad school there? I thought that they taught all this stuff to undergrads at fish camp. Anyway, supposedly elephants wander off from the herd at the end of their lives once they can no longer carry their weight. Not sure on the origins but somehow the Aggies have adopted the elephant walk as a practice for departing seniors (no longer useful to the student body). So the seniors go to Elephant walk wherein people walk around campus imitating a dying elephant. Because of the elephant walk, Elephant is a senior word. So Aggies are not allowed to say the word elephant until they are seniors under penalty of pushup duty enforced by the Corps. Obviously there are many normal folks like yourself but I've known a few of the red ass rah rah Corps types and they are almost cartoonish in how seriously they take some of this stuff. But of course the downside of your normalcy is that it makes it harder to give a good ribbing. prod.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 11:48 am 
Eric wrote:
Did you just go to grad school there? I thought that they taught all this stuff to undergrads at fish camp.
I transferred in as a junior. No fish camp, so no brainwashing. I vaguely remember something called Elephant Walk, but had no idea what it was or why.
Eric wrote:
I've known a few of the red ass rah rah Corps types and they are almost cartoonish in how seriously they take some of this stuff.
There were over 40,000 students at TAMU when I went, and less than 2000 were ROTC. They were pretty much considered a throwback and looked upon with amusement to most of the people I went to class with. tongue.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 2:14 pm 
Eric wrote:
they are almost cartoonish in how seriously they take some of this stuff. But of course the downside of your normalcy is that it makes it harder to give a good ribbing. prod.gif
When I lived in Texas, I worked with a woman who graduated from A&M. She got angry at all the Aggie jokes, and harumphed one day at a meeting after a particularly good Aggie joke and said, as her eyes were throwing darts at the offender, "Well! People should be careful about what they say! You don't know who went to A&M." To which I replied, "You should have thought of that before going to A&M." Everyone laughed and she flounced out of the room (this was before all this political correctness B.S. ruined everything in the workplace). I guess she thought Aggie jokes would forever stop after she walked across the stage.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 2:55 pm 
Quark wrote:
"Well! People should be careful about what they say! You don't know who went to A&M." To which I replied, "You should have thought of that before going to A&M."
lol.gif

mvs

mvs
PostWed Nov 16, 2005 2:46 pm 
I'm a Longhorn myself, but I also liked those John Steinbeck books. My favorites though are Tortilla Flat and In Dubious Battle. That history book sounds pretty cool, make a PDF for us! tongue.gif

Molli
Go Canucks!

Molli
Go Canucks!
PostThu Nov 17, 2005 2:16 pm 
sorry, not a bookworm myself.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jan 02, 2006 10:21 am 
I bought myself a 1st ed., first printing, of Routes & Rocks, as well as the Challenger Quadrangle copy. up.gif My dowry is becoming downright desirable!* * Dowry now includes: 1 broken lava lamp (mom gave it to me, I'm not throwing it away) 2 crosscut saws and one pair of handles with hardware a pickup truck 3 cats a lame bird 1 carved coconut head from the Philippines, circa WWII 1 set, World Book encyclopoedia, 1938 edition half a moldy boot jack 1 first ed, first printing, Routes & Rocks Don't everybody talk at once, now. Hold on, hold on...I'm in the process of preparing an application for those wishing to apply.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon Jan 02, 2006 10:53 am 
should this be sung to the Twelve Days of Christmas?? dizzy.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Jan 02, 2006 11:10 am 
Book's are OK but a chalet at Alpental would really cinch it!

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Lookout Sue
Daydream Believer

Lookout Sue
Daydream Believer
PostTue Jan 03, 2006 12:28 pm 
Quote:
* Dowry now includes: 1 broken lava lamp (mom gave it to me, I'm not throwing it away) 2 crosscut saws and one pair of handles with hardware a pickup truck 3 cats a lame bird 1 carved coconut head from the Philippines, circa WWII 1 set, World Book encyclopoedia, 1938 edition half a moldy boot jack 1 first ed, first printing, Routes & Rocks
Not to mention the boxes of crap that you have stored in my garage! rant.gif (just a reminder)

---------------------
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Jan 03, 2006 7:43 pm 
Quark wrote:
I bought myself a 1st ed., first printing, of Routes & Rocks, as well as the Challenger Quadrangle copy. up.gif My dowry is becoming downright desirable!* * Dowry now includes: 1 broken lava lamp (mom gave it to me, I'm not throwing it away) 2 crosscut saws and one pair of handles with hardware a pickup truck 3 cats a lame bird 1 carved coconut head from the Philippines, circa WWII 1 set, World Book encyclopoedia, 1938 edition half a moldy boot jack 1 first ed, first printing, Routes & Rocks Don't everybody talk at once, now. Hold on, hold on...I'm in the process of preparing an application for those wishing to apply.
Please send me an application. I'm interested. You want my resume? And boxes of crap? My kind of woman. biggrin.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Alpine Tom

Alpine Tom
PostSat Feb 04, 2006 2:55 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
The complete history of Seattle and King County has it's tragic side. I'd like to know all that I can find out. It IS important. The Dark Side of history in America is a story of screwing our Native American brother's and sister's, etc, etc .. breakdance.gif
At the risk of changing the subject (I'm all for hooking up and bashing Texans) Timothy Egan's book The Good Rain is an excellent summation of Puget Sound-oriented history. LIke every right-minded climber, I got it for the chapter entitled "Looking for Beckey" (about Fred B.) but the whole book is well worth reading.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jun 26, 2007 7:29 pm 
Indian stories and legends of the Stillaguamish, Sauks and allied tribes, Nels Bruseth. 2nd edition, 1950. up.gif This puppy wasn't cheap, but a lot less than a first edition, which I'd give my first born for, if I could find it (I mean the book, not the first born - I don't have one of those). Matter of fact, I might go have a baby in case a 1st ed. pops up somewhere and I need to come up with one. Just my luck they don't want a first born, though. God, then I'd be stuck. I might oughta hold off a bit.