Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Book Gloating, Part IV
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Jun 26, 2007 9:32 pm 
Where do I get a library card to go to the Quark Memorial Library? Oh, wait, you have to be dead for it to be a memorial. I don't want you dying, I just wanna get my mitts on your books.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jun 26, 2007 9:56 pm 
Magellan wrote:
I don't want you dying, I just wanna get my mitts on your books.
Either you're a pervert, or that's the title of a great country & western song.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
derekwayne

derekwayne
PostThu Jun 28, 2007 2:10 pm 
i never got a book report on the "dunces" young ladie...... tongue.gif

patches

patches
PostSun Sep 16, 2007 10:50 pm 
nels bruseth book
Hi! I'm new; but curious. Would it be toooo rude to ask what you paid for a 1950 copy of Nels's book? & where you bought it from? I just bought a 1926 1st edition; am waiting for it to arrive. I am trying to get a copy of each printing. thanks

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Sep 19, 2007 9:04 am 
(sent patches a PM) 1969 Mt Baker National Forest map and a 1917 USGS Glacier Peak Quad on their way to me (not a copy, an original!) Mt Baker & Snoqualmie NF's merged in '73, '74 timeframe, no? Heard a NF guy a public comment session a few weeks ago refer to his forest as Okanogan-Wenatchee. I knew they were kicking around a merge, so I guess it went....?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 19, 2007 11:03 am 
I have a brand new copy of the 70s version of the MBS map, isn't that the one with Baker on a blue sky day on the front?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
HurlGurl
Wildernested

HurlGurl
Wildernested
PostWed Sep 19, 2007 11:21 am 
map whore
I love the pictures and stories on the back of the '69 Mt Baker National Forest map. Reminds me of when I was a kid... Cover picture is blue sky Baker (from swift creek trail) Have a stack of my grandfathers hunting maps, complete with pencil tracings and notes. He hunted a lot in now what is the suburbs :-) heck, so did I. My favorite map (in the moment) is an old gas station (standard oil / chevron) road map, "Washington Points of Interest and Touring Map" pre Interstate 5. Outstanding shading and colors....

At the end of Theodore Roosevelt's presidency in 1909, his fiery eldest daughter, Alice, buried a voodoo doll of new First Lady Nellie Taft in the White House lawn.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 19, 2007 11:37 am 
Nice! old maps from family are way cool, you get the sentimental attachment and vintage maps all in one.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Sep 19, 2007 12:27 pm 
I tried driving from Seattle to Bellingham using a 1954 Shell map, just for the hell of it... Big surprise, the route doesn't go.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Sep 30, 2007 6:14 pm 
I have a cool 'book' by Bob and Ira Spring before they hooked up with Mountaineer Publishing. It was published by Superior Publishing Co., Seattle in 1955. It is about 66 pages of pictures, mostly B&W. It is in a magazine form measuring 9" by 7" in a heavy (blank) paper cover.
Ira 1
Ira 1
Paradise Lodge
Paradise Lodge
Glacier Vista - Panorama Point
Glacier Vista - Panorama Point
Cowlitz Glacier
Cowlitz Glacier
Chapter 5
Chapter 5

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
hyak.net

hyak.net
PostSun Sep 30, 2007 7:26 pm 
Old books/maps
The best find of mine is an old book from 1935 that has ski maps of all the most popular ski areas in WA such as Chinook Pass, Deer Park, Mt Rainier and of course the normal areas. The only area of all those shown that had a ski lift/tow was Mt Baker with its Ski Escalator on Pan Dome.... Cool to see how folks used to ski in the early days.... Below is a small section of the Chinook map as an example.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Sep 30, 2007 9:39 pm 
Nice find Snowbrushy!!

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Oct 01, 2007 9:53 pm 
Nice find
I recently found it in my childhood closet along with Boy Scout stuff which I'd forgotten about, as my only parent is moving from the old home to an assisted living situation and it will be sold. Kinda cool, huh? I'd like to post many more of the photos here. I'll try soon. Let's see what Tom, et-al, and the Spring family thinks. I'm not clear about the legalities.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
greg

greg
PostTue Oct 02, 2007 11:24 am 
I have a 1970 Snoqualmie NF map, a 1963 map of the "Goat Rocks Wild Area," a 1969 Gifford Pinchot NF map, a 1968 Olympic National Park map, a 1967 Okanogan NF map, a 1964 Wenatchee NF map, a 1968 Olympic NF map, and several ranger district maps (Tieton, Naches, White River, Skykomish, North Bend) dated 1970. But my favorite old book is Ruth Kirk's 1962 "Olympic Seashore."

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostWed Oct 03, 2007 5:08 pm 
Greg, Where'd you come across all those great old maps?

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel