Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Book Gloating, Part IV
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
greg

greg
PostThu Oct 04, 2007 6:50 am 
Goats, my predecessor where I work left them for me and several more from Oregon and Idaho. He was an outdoors nut too. My folks left me this gem, and it is so precious anyone who loves the wild Olympic coast should have it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Oct 04, 2007 3:04 pm 
I have 1968 Gifford Pinchot NF 1968 Olympic NF 1968 Mt. St. Helens-Spirit Lake 1969 Snoqualmie NF 1969 Mt. Baker NF 1969 Winatchee NF 1971 Goat Rocks Wilderness 1974 Tongass 1975 Okanogan NF 1978 Mt Baker Snoqualmie They have a lot more roads doh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Oct 04, 2007 4:01 pm 
Greg, That book's so cool, I need my cool.gif to look at it. Wonder where they are perched? First guess: Second Beach. It also looks a little like the beach between Goodman and Mosquito - but I don't see Hoh Head?? Anyway, pardon me while I stare! biggrin.gif Good folks ya have.

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Oct 04, 2007 4:04 pm 
MalaC You have my map. ONF 1968. I want it back this instant or I'm telling TOM!!

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
tinman

tinman
PostThu Oct 04, 2007 9:51 pm 
GGW: The picture on the front of the book is the headland north of Cedar Creek about 8 miles north of Rialto beach. During WWII there was a small lookout on the top of the headland. The cable you see in the picture was a handrail to get up to the lookout. There were steps chipped out of the rock. The top of the headland has since slid down to the beach.

Wherever you go, there you are.......
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Oct 04, 2007 11:51 pm 
Thanks tinman! I didn't know there was a lookout there during WWII. So, that must be Cape Johnson to the south? And this picture was taken prior to the shelter being built on the beach just north of Cedar Creek? The beach looks more sandy (less rocky) then, compared to now, and there are fewer beach logs. That's interesting. Looks like low tide too! I think we can just make Cape Johnson if we hurry. hink.gif Nice pic at Hole-in-the-Wall! biggrin.gif

tinman

tinman
PostFri Oct 05, 2007 7:01 am 
Yes, that's Cape Johnson. Not sure if the shelter was there or not when this picture was taken, I believe the shelter was built sometime in the early '60s. These pics were taken during the war of the shelter on top of the rock. If you have been there recently you can see that part of the rock face has collapsed.
Cedar Crk Lookout 1
Cedar Crk Lookout 1
Cedar Crk Lookout 2
Cedar Crk Lookout 2

greg

greg
PostMon Oct 08, 2007 6:37 am 
Believe that headland is called Coastie Head, 7.5 miles north of Rialto Beach, and as I recall from an Ozette-to-Rialto hike in winter of 2004, there's still a crumbling cedar shack there. I think the Coast Guard used it as an observation point during WWII.

tinman

tinman
PostMon Oct 08, 2007 7:08 am 
Hey Greg, Coastie Head with the crumbling shack is south of the head with the pics I posted. Both were used during WWII as lookouts. If you look at the book cover in this thread it is the 1st headland at the end of the sand beach.

greg

greg
PostMon Oct 08, 2007 7:18 am 
Ah OK, both terrific places to gaze out to sea! Tinman, just noticed your avatar, Hole in the Wall, another great place. up.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 9:54 pm 
I'm pretty danged excited. THanks to 2drx who recommened "Switchbacks," by Andy Holland. I just got my signed copy today. JimK had the book also, and loaned it to me, so I already read it. Anyone interested in the early days of forest fire fighting, lookout tending, and all around being outdoors oughta check it out. Mr. Holland started with the FS at the Sauk Ranger District of Mt Baker NF in 1931 - his first lookout gig was Circle Peak, and was the first lookout in the building (prior to that the lookout stayed in a tent). Afterwards he watched 5 seasons at Miner's Ridge. He gives excellent details about food, techniques of forest fire suppression, and simply what it was like as a greenhorn. He gives wonderful intimate details of the greats such as Nels Bruseth and Harold Engels. I was thrilled to see Mr. Hollands' signature in this book. up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostFri Apr 04, 2008 10:05 pm 
Ms. Goats, That book is at a thrift store that I frequent but I keep ignoring it. Now if I could just remember which thrift store, I will pick it up for you next time I'm there. Where is my brain? Where is that book? Oh, I think I just remembered. I'll keep you posted.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Mount Logan
Canada's Highest

Mount Logan
Canada's Highest
PostSat Apr 05, 2008 3:38 pm 
Place Names of Washington by Robert Hitchman; hardcover, 1985
Sunset Travel Guide to Washington; softcover, 1973

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostSat Apr 05, 2008 9:25 pm 
More Cowbell wrote:
Ms. Goats, That book is at a thrift store that I frequent but I keep ignoring it. Now if I could just remember which thrift store, I will pick it up for you next time I'm there. Where is my brain? Where is that book? Oh, I think I just remembered. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks MC, truly a very kind thing to do. Thanks so much. You are great!!!

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSun Apr 06, 2008 3:55 pm 
Goats, SCORE! It was still there, unfortunately not a first edition which would have been 1962, this one is a 1980 7th printing but in pretty good condition. We'll have to work out a hand off to get it to you or maybe you need to head East and do some desert hikes with us some weekend soon?

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown