Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Oregon Native boarding school study
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Jan 03, 2016 8:31 pm 
Woman's thesis about an old Salem native boarding school cemetery reveals past conditions. http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2016/01/unearthing-dark-native-boarding-school-160103072842972.html

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Jan 04, 2016 5:05 pm 
The Canadian study only went in depth into schools with at least some records available. Most had no death records available. Amongst the comparisons is that it was safer to be a WWII Canadian infantryman than to be a kid placed in the church schools in the last century. Infantry. Early in the last century death rate at many schools was greater than 50%. Compares to the Gulag Archipelago.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
salish

salish
PostTue Jan 05, 2016 12:28 pm 
I have ancestors who were at Chemawa. My mother and her sister attended Indian boarding schools in Idaho & Montana. My aunt died of TB at a young age and is buried in an unmarked grave in Montana, along with several others. It used to be pretty depressing for my mother when we would visit the cemetery with flowers for her mother's grave. She knew her big sister was there, somewhere, but exactly where no one could tell us. Regarding the boarding schools, I've heard some pretty dreadful things, especially with my grandparents generation. My aunt was, apparently, a little rebellious, and she ran away from the schools at least once, maybe twice. But for my mother, the boarding schools were her only source of stability and structure in an otherwise miserable life. The sisters and staff at the convent school in DeSmet were especially kind to her, providing her with the care she never had at home. So I guess that's an alternative view of these schools that you don't often hear. It's probably the exception. My wife is Ojibwa and her family is from Ontario. From what I understand, her mother and aunt had very bad experiences in Canadian Indian boarding schools. So much so that they refused to talk about it much. Cheers, Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostTue Jan 05, 2016 1:17 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
Amongst the comparisons is that it was safer to be a Canadian infantryman than to be a kid placed in the church schools in the last century. Infantry.
Not to minimize what happened, but the school death rate is compared to that of all Canadians serving in WWII and includes death from all causes. I did time in boarding schools and, while I was not mistreated, I resent my parents for having sent me there. In my experience, boarding schools are just plain unhealthy.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Jan 05, 2016 10:01 pm 
salish wrote:
Regarding the boarding schools, I've heard some pretty dreadful things
Good to hear from you, Salish! I wish that there was a way to persuade your elder family members to share their stories for an oral history. It's important. smile.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
salish

salish
PostWed Jan 06, 2016 2:29 pm 
Thanks Snowbrushy. Unfortunately, all of those who would have more information are now gone.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.