Forum Index > Food & Grub > What was the name of that food thread???
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Oct 08, 2005 8:54 pm 
I can't find the darn thing: I want to add this place my freind Sarah and I found in Cashmere today, and I'll move this post once it's located: Lucy's, on Aplets Way a block north of the Aplet & Cotlet Factory and Gift Shop (I finally bagged the Aplets & Cotlets Factory today!). Lucy's is a hole-in-the-wall mexican cafe, and no one speaks English there. Typical of these wonderful authenic places, you just walk in, check out the hand-written choices on the board, still have no idea what you want, and end up pointing to the Speciale, answer the question, "what meat?" then sit back and wait for manna to arrive. My tostada held out until the second-to-last bite, when there was major slope failure on the pile of beef, avocado, lettuce, tomato and cilantro. It fell all over the place. It was great. Open til 9 PM (Sunday hours are posted twice, conflicting information). Damn, it's good food! And what a great little town! I've never been beyond Rusty's Drive-In. what a mistake that has been. A 10 year long mistake!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostSat Oct 08, 2005 9:16 pm 
The most recent one was "Best Post-Hike Grub".

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Oct 08, 2005 9:18 pm 
The Food Thread Oh, here's another tip: Kabob Something or Other. It's Pakistani, on Greenwood just north of 81st on the west side of the street, wedged in between little grocery store and Teriyaki burger place. It's a little lacking in ambience and the food's not dirt cheap, but it is damn good.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Yet

Yet
PostSat Oct 08, 2005 10:08 pm 
Have any of you stopped at the bakery shop on Highway 2 called Bakery? They have the best eclairs! up.gif

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Oct 13, 2005 8:19 am 
Hey Quark, Lucy Tacos is practically across the street from where I teach, at Vale Elementary in Cashmere. In fact, I've had the owners' children in my classes. FYI, the more popular Mexican restaurant in Cashmere would be Camino Real, on Hwy2, heading west. And Country Boy's BBQ is a big hit, just across the bridge on the Aplets Way exit, but it's not open Sundays.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Oct 13, 2005 8:34 am 
Wow, cool! Lucy's would be more popular if it were on Hwy 2, but I sorta like it where it is. Tell me: There's a series of turn of the century high school graduate photos posted on the window of an insurance company downtown Cashmere, and another of the high school with that pointy mountain in the background. Was the original high school located where your campus is? There's another old building with a new facade nearer downtown with the same pointy mountain in the background, but it doesn't quite match. Also - what's the deal about Cottage Row? Who were the wealthy in Cashmere back then - agriculture I assume...? What a wonderful town! Do you feel lucky to live there?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Oct 13, 2005 9:50 am 
Marylou, it's the Kabob House. It used to be better before the original owners moved to Renton and started a new place.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Oct 13, 2005 12:17 pm 
I'm not much on the history of the area as I've only been here 11 years, born in Port Angeles, but spent more of my childhood in Portland. And although I teach in Cashmere, I live in Leavenworth. Pointy mountains on buildings in Cashmere would more than likely be none other than Mt. Cashmere, which is framed by the main street in downtown. Interesting note on the street names is that 5 years the 2 principal streets were renamed Aplets Way and Cotlets Way. Aplets and Cotlets had threatened to relocate to Leavenworth, but were enticed to stay with part of the deal being the renaming....True Story.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Oct 13, 2005 12:25 pm 
Had dinner at the Wild Ginger last night. I used to go from time to time when it was over on Western, and it was veeerrry good back then. So anyway, my friend R and I had Satay (one good one bad), Hot and Sour Soup (too much stuff in it) some kind of seared tuna (good, but the dipping sauce stuff was icky), some kind of chicken (terrible) another kind of "Burmese pork curry" (inedible) and some green bean thing (good). The after eating a bit or two of everything (reason we ordered so much food was because we'd get a bad dish and think we just ordered the wrong thing, silly, I know) we got some kind of coffee drink (tepid). Total bill $174. I'll never go there again, the food just was not good.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Oct 13, 2005 1:40 pm 
yeah, it used to be good but then it got trendy, a friend saw Bill Gates and Locke there once and we saw Jeeter there when the Yankees were in town it sux now I'm afraid frown.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Oct 13, 2005 11:20 pm 
You can get WAY better in the ID-Tamarind Tree, Malay Satay Hut, Seven Stars Pepper-for about an eighth of the price. THe Szechuan Crab at Seven Stars Pepper blows anything Wild Ginger has out of the water.

Red Squatch
NW Native Species

Red Squatch
NW Native Species
PostFri Oct 14, 2005 5:48 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
...a friend saw Bill Gates and Locke there once...
I can confirm that - I once saw Bill and Melinda dining with Gary and Mona one evening at the WG while I was attending the symphony at Benaroya a few years back (imagine that - them letting a hairy squatch like me in!). Haven't been there since - sorry to hear it's gone downhill. Well, there's always the BDB (Black Diamond Bakery)!!! winksmile.gif

Good judgment comes from experience... experience comes from bad judgment... PPE
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Oct 14, 2005 4:46 pm 
kiliki wrote:
You can get WAY better in the ID-Tamarind Tree, Malay Satay Hut, Seven Stars Pepper-for about an eighth of the price. THe Szechuan Crab at Seven Stars Pepper blows anything Wild Ginger has out of the water.
Right, but I was meeting my friend downtown for dinner and that is what he suggested. Sometimes it's nice to eat at a nice restaurant instead of always at hole in the wall places with good food.

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostFri Oct 14, 2005 5:34 pm 
marylou wrote:
Sometimes it's nice to eat at a nice restaurant instead of always at hole in the wall places with good food.
So it gets an "A" for atmosphere then? How was the service there, I've read on several reviews that the hostess and waitstaff is somewhat lacking in quality

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Oct 14, 2005 7:21 pm 
Red Squatch wrote:
Well, there's always the BDB (Black Diamond Bakery)!!! winksmile.gif
Yes, oh yes. Now hush before all the good stuff disapears wink.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.