Forum Index > Pacific NW History > 1st Hikers - Today 200 Years Ago
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 10:02 am 
Two hundred years ago today the first recreational nwhikers set thier boot's down on what was to become Washington State. The Corps of Discovery had rafted, ridden, and marched across the continent, and would spend a leisurely, wet winter on the N.W. coast. http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=5323

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
greg

greg
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 11:27 am 
Not sure you could call them recreational hikers, or the first, since people had been here for more than 10,000 years. However, it is an event worth noting up.gif

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 2:35 pm 
all open to interpretation ..
Hi Greg, It seem's to me that this forum about hiking history is a one of a kind.. I really wish that a NW historian with credentials would weigh in here. Maybe a Prof. at the UW. They could add some important infomations to this forum, and in fact might be an asset to this unique forum by being it's administrator - this being an academic subject. I love NW hiking history although I am a simple student. Some leadership here could be a good thing. (excuse me Tom). About The Corps of Discovery: The men spent a long, boring, grey winter out here on the coast, and they had recreational interests on thier mind's to spend the time. I assume that they hiked around, they being men with an interest in exploring. There is some documentation. But, in fact hiking probably wasn't on the top of their list. Whoring around was. It got so bad that Captain Clark made all the men pick just one single native woman to spend the winter with because of 'Boston Man's' disease's that were already present from earlier seafaring explorer's. In pre-history - who know's the first nwhiker? I don't. Maybe Kennewick Man? Maybe.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 3:39 pm 
This is an academic subject? I thought it was just folks talking and sharing regional history? Nothing wrong with academics weighing in but part of the charm and fun is reading and hearing about this stuff from all sorts of people interested in the subject. wink.gif From what I've read in Undaunted Courage, a more populist take on the subject, L&C seemed to have spent a miserable winter at Fort Clatsop getting rained on almost continuously (I think the Astoria area is the least-sunny place in the lower 48), had by then preferred eating dog over salmon (they were absolutely sick of salmon), and spent most of their time thinking and planning for the return trip in between relations with the locals biggrin.gif When they rebuild the recently burnt-down Fort Clatsop , while I respect the attention to detail and love that went into building the replica in the 1950s, I do hope the new reconstruction will be closer to how it really was. Well maybe have a separate adults-only section depicting the sexual relations between the party and native women to be completely accurate for some tastes. Because as we all know this type of behavior has only happened throughout history during that particular wild-boy's-night-out-adventure! tongue.gif

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 3:46 pm 
Correction. They spent most of their time thinking about getting laid. And staying dry. In that order I think - I'm not a historian, but it's fun. rolleyes.gif

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 3:55 pm 
I cannot think of a task any more boring than boiling sea water all day to produce salt. Dahyam, what a long winter it musta been!

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 4:04 pm 
Obviously you've never had dog without a dash of salt. Musta been worth it.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 4:23 pm 
Seaside, Or.
The Seaside salt oven's may have been a better place to camp than the Astoria area and the fort considering the proximity of a Chinook village there with plenty of female company for a group of young men. Not boring & lot's of gal's.. (the oven's are there to visit in a back yard in Seaside, OR.) smile.gif

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 5:06 pm 
I think you've got a fixation going there sir. rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif Not everyone is excited about the L&C Expo celebration- "You put the whole history together and there's a lot of bad things happened since those two guys came over here." -Horace Axtell, spiritual leader of the Niimiipuu, the Nez Perce tribe. smile.gif

greg

greg
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 8:26 pm 
Good L&C hikes: Tillamook Head at Ecola State Park near Cannon Beach, Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge north of Vancouver and Beacon Rock up in the Gorge, all places described in the journals. Also like Julia Butler Hansen Wildlife Refuge near Skamokawa, habitat of the Columbian whitetailed deer, a critter described in the journals.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 8:40 pm 
/

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 8:44 pm 
That's something I'd like to do one day- retrace their route. I've only seen parts of it. Fort Clatsop,Astoria,Fort Stevens, Ilwaco/Long Beach, Beacon Rock, both sides of the Gorge east to the Snake/Columbia R. confluence. As for a rebuilt uglee Fort Clatsop maybe seeing a structure near identical to the original hastily put together rough hewn structure will make what they went through that much more impressive to visitors. I had read that the burned-down replica was constructed in a Scandinavian style which apparently wasn't close to what the original looked like. What they really need to re-examine is using Boston Whalers in place of cedar canoes in their visitor center dioramas. nono.gif Interesting that the Park Service regularily had fires going in the structure's fireplace(s) in the summer (but only teeny tiny ones huh.gif ). That policy seems really really weird. Lo and behold one fire a few years ago got a little out of control and scorched a small portion of the fort. So although at first this fire seemed a no-brainer arson one, it wouldn't be too surprising to learn it was just an accident.

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 10:00 pm 
Snowshoe Hare wrote:
I think you've got a fixation going there sir. rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif Not everyone is excited about the L&C Expo celebration- "You put the whole history together and there's a lot of bad things happened since those two guys came over here." -Horace Axtell, spiritual leader of the Niimiipuu, the Nez Perce tribe. smile.gif
Yeah, though history is replete with bad things happening for thousands of years. L&C may have heralded an era of a few more bad things, but now our generation has the potential to be the first to initiate an era of great good things only (tm). angel.gif chicken.gif Imagine that! We'll all be heroes! Either way, I would have liked to have been a bug along for the ride on that journey. I thought I heard they didn't lose anybody on the expedition? Dat true? This Wikipedia article lists out all the members of the expedition.

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostSun Oct 09, 2005 10:17 pm 
One man early in the expedition. The expedition killed two Blackfeet Indians in a skirmish another time. http://www.nathpo.org/News/Lewis_Clark/News_Lewis15.htm I wonder if this was written by the same Timothy Egan who wrote The Good Rain, about the Northwest.

greg

greg
PostMon Oct 10, 2005 6:39 am 
Another very nice L&C hike I almost forgot is Horsethief Lake State Park, across from the town of The Dalles. The corps had some fun canoe rides here in The Dalles and Celilo Falls, long since inundated by dams on the Columbia. Spring flowers are intense. I believe that is one and the same Timothy Egan, last I heard writing for the NY Times.