Forum Index > Pacific NW History > 1st Hikers - Today 200 Years Ago
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Oct 10, 2005 5:30 pm 
Quote:
I really wish that a NW historian with credentials would weigh in here. Maybe a Prof. at the UW.
*cough, cough, stammer* I'm probably the closest thing you've got-I work in public history though I don't get my "credentials" until I finish that dissertation-but trust me, that's the last thing you want in this forum. There's usually a pretty big disconnect between the kind of works academics are putting out and the kind of stuff history buffs are interested in.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostMon Oct 10, 2005 5:56 pm 
Snowshoe Hare wrote:
I think you've got a fixation going there sir. rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif Not everyone is excited about the L&C Expo celebration- "You put the whole history together and there's a lot of bad things happened since those two guys came over here." -Horace Axtell, spiritual leader of the Niimiipuu, the Nez Perce tribe. smile.gif
My tribe (Salish/Flathead) met and hosted L&C on their way across Montana. My uncle was one of several elders from our tribe who worked with the State of Montana and the L&C Commission two or three years ago to establish whether or not L&C, among other things, used Indian encampments on their journey. Our elders have teamed together with the University of Nebraska Press to publish a book telling the Indian perspective of the L&C journey, which is an interesting read. My uncle likes to tease, saying it was great to be "discovered", since we have lived there for thousands of years.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Oct 10, 2005 6:02 pm 
Salish, what is the name of the book? That reminds me, and just to put some actual academic knowledge to use, the only book I've heard repeatedly recommended about the L&C expedition is James Ronda's Lewis and Clark Among the Indians. I haven't read it myself, though.

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostMon Oct 10, 2005 7:22 pm 
Salish, that's interesting thanks for sharing the info. Of course there's many different opinions about L&C, many different perspectives. It's just another chapter in the messy and marvelous human story. I thought that particular quote from Axtell was funny and telling in a low-key way. I like the way some other Native American leaders or tribal members have come out and tried to be accommodating to those that are celebrating Lewis and Clark's Corp of Discovery, acknowledging what it meant to many of us on many different levels but at the same time using it to teach and educate us about how the Indians fit into the grand scheme.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Oct 10, 2005 7:24 pm 
It is fun to read their actual journals also tongue.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostMon Oct 10, 2005 11:33 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
In pre-history - who know's the first nwhiker? I don't. Maybe Kennewick Man? Maybe.
Yeah, there is evidence that suggests an interesting take on the ancestry of the “first Americans.” http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/09/0903_030903_bajaskull.html
Quote:
Who Were The First Americans? Stefan Lovgren for National Geographic News September 3, 2003 A study of skulls excavated from the tip of Baja California in Mexico suggests that the first Americans may not have been the ancestors of today's Amerindians, but another people who came from Southeast Asia and the southern Pacific area. The question of who colonized the Americas, and when, has long been hotly debated. Traditionally, Native Americans are believed to have descended from northeast Asia, arriving over a land bridge between Siberia and Alaska some 12,000 years ago and then migrating across North and South America. But recent research, including the Baja California study, indicates that the initial settlement of the continent was instead driven by Southeast Asians who occupied Australia 60,000 years ago and then expanded into the Americas about 13,500 years ago, prior to Mongoloid people arriving from northeast Asia. "Our results change the traditional idea that all modern Amerindians present morphological affinities with East Asians as a result of a single migration," said Rolando González-José of the University of Barcelona, Spain, who led the study. "The settlement of the New World is better explained by considering a continuous influx of people from Asia."…
This in no way reduces the plight of the American Indians or the grave injustices they’ve suffered. That the ancestry of the “first Americans” may be more diverse than first thought is just a mile marker on the way to the truth. In any case, Lewis and Clark's brave journey was over land that had been, of course, well traveled for thousands of years.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Sawyer

Sawyer
PostFri Feb 10, 2006 7:44 pm 
Here's how it was in '21, before the Mountaineers limited trips to 12 people. This one's on their Glacier Peak expedition in August of that year:

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Feb 10, 2006 9:52 pm 
Those are some great pic's! Thank's.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.