Forum Index > Gear Talk > polartec powershield
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
monkey

monkey
PostFri Nov 01, 2002 4:58 pm 
Seems like all the outerwear companies are coming out with jackets using Polartec's Powershield. Anyone know whether it's worth the money? I'm a simpleton and it seems we've already reached a point of diminishing return with all these new textiles! Is it just another marketing ploy or is a piece of fabric really going to make my backcountry adventures better?!!! dizzy.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Nov 03, 2002 9:02 am 
REI one, Powerfleece technology
rolleyes.gif I was in REI the other day and the salesguy really was pushing their new so called "One" hi tech jacket. Interesting that it costs $200 and feels awfully heavy (claimed: 21 oz) Here is the blurb from their REI catalog page
Quote:
One jacket for nearly all conditions! That's the idea behind this windproof, water-resistant, ultra-breathable Polartec Power Shield(R) jacket. Air Control Technology™ blocks 98% of wind; the remaining 2% is allowed to circulate within the fabric to help keep you from overheating Polartec Power Shield is quieter than a traditional waterproof, breathable shell--and it's twice as breathable! Abrasion- and water-resistant nylon outer face sheds rain and snow, keeping you dry in all but the heaviest of downpours Soft polyester velour fleece inner face traps body heat for warmth Four-way stretch allows for maximum mobility and comfort Two zippered handwarmer pockets and one zippered chest pocket hold essentials; chest pocket features exit portal for CD/MP3 player headphones Adjustable elastic drawcord hem and neck gasket (drawcord inside the Polartec Wind Pro® neck cuff) seal in warmth Comfortable chin guard protects against zipper abrasion Single Layer Technology™ gear offers a streamlined design for an active lifestyle--you have to try it to believe the comfort it provides! A smart choice for virtually any active outdoor or around-town pursuit. This less-is-more jacket is designed to go easily from mountains-to-mall and powder-to-pavement activities!
Oh yeah, it is 54%Nylon, 24% Polyesther, and 20% Lycra. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I'd like to know that I'm really buying a winner. Anyone have one of these? If so, what is your opinion. I'm a little leery of REI when they start claiming they are now the leader in new hi tech clothing (my salesguy touting the "One" jacket) suuure.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message