Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What was your telephone exchange?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

PostTue Oct 11, 2005 8:31 pm 
jimmymac wrote:
Quark wrote:
Andy wrote:
Mayble? get me Barney.
The operators' name was Clara!
Nope. 'twas Sarah.
Not Sarah, but Bertha too.. "Bertha Edwards or Clara Johnson/Edwards (1961-1968)" IMDB. Played by Hope Summers who was also in The Flim Flam Man a movie credited in Slugman's auto signature. Now, if I can just connect this to Kevin Bacon...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostTue Oct 11, 2005 8:42 pm 
"One ringy dingy, two ringy-dingy....A gracious good morning to you...Have I reached the party to whom I am speaking?" -Ernestine the Operator (Lily Tomlin)

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Oct 11, 2005 9:06 pm 
My current neighborhood is ALpine. Matter of fact if ya call my answering machine you'll get "Leave a message on ALpine 2-xxxx". Living on Baker and with Rainier two streets away I feel like a phony peak bagger. Unfortunately, ALpine is the standard for 25, so it ain't nothin' special. Some day I wanna have a candlestick phone, brass. Still don't have any of them new-fangled cordless phones or cell phones.

Moleman

Moleman
PostTue Oct 11, 2005 10:24 pm 
DIamond 4-2349 in Eugene, Oregon. A black, rotary dial phone, of course. My work number is in the ALpine exchange in Everett. Up until maybe 10 or 15 years ago, you could dial other ALpine numbers by just dialing the last 5 digits, the ones after the "25", if you were calling from another ALpine line. I suppose next someone will start in on Postal Zones, the predecessors to zip codes in bigger cities. Someone from Seattle probably remembers if their mailing address ended with "Seattle 8, Washington", or whatever.

Larry

Larry
PostTue Oct 11, 2005 10:25 pm 
Sung to the tune of: ...1-800-588-2300, Empire today... But seriously...in my earliest childhood in Montesano, I just picked up the phone to make sure that no one else in the neighborhood was yakking on the multi-party line, and asked the operator (always, always, always a woman) to get my grandparent's phone, which was simply 2447. Operator: "Number please". Me: "2447 please".

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Oct 11, 2005 10:33 pm 
The big city (Bremerton) was ESsex, that was hot.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Oct 11, 2005 10:42 pm 
Snowshoe Hare wrote:
Cle Elum has a neat phone museum. http://www.nkcmuseums.org/
Actually, that's what started all this. I've always wanted to go to that museum. I was through Cle Elum 4 times this weekend, and each time, I wistfully looked at i. I guess I'll hafta take a weekday off and just go... My family was on a party line when I was in high school. The folks across the street had a private line, 'cause he was a volunteer fireman. Because of the busy party line, in order to arrange a ride home from the pizza place where I worked, I'd often have to call the neighbors' house and he'd walk over to my folks' & let them know I was ready to come home. According to a co-worker of mine, whose exchange was GLadstone, at first you'd dial, for instance, GLadstone-7998. Later, when circuits became full, another identifying number was added, changing the number to, GLadstone3, 7998.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
greg

greg
PostWed Oct 12, 2005 6:27 am 
Redmond was TUcker. Before that we were in Kirkland, another VAndyke. Way back when the numbers were shorter too, as in the Jimmy Stewart movie "Call Northside 777." (1948)

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Oct 12, 2005 6:44 am 
Speaking of phone exchanges.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostWed Oct 12, 2005 7:07 am 
ORchard 21884. Roseburg, OR. Perhaps the only thing I remember from that far back. dizzy.gif

"Life's been good to me so far" - Joe Walsh
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostWed Oct 12, 2005 4:59 pm 
Quark wrote:
Snowshoe Hare wrote:
Cle Elum has a neat phone museum. http://www.nkcmuseums.org/
Actually, that's what started all this. I've always wanted to go to that museum. I was through Cle Elum 4 times this weekend, and each time, I wistfully looked at i. I guess I'll hafta take a weekday off and just go...
Read the info from the museum's website I linked to or you'll be peering inside thru a window if you try to visit anytime other than weekends in the summer- sounds like maybe if you catch one of these two staffers in the office at other times they'll let you in???: "The Cle Elum Telephone Museum is located at: 221 East First Street Cle Elum, WA 98922 Phone: 509-674-5702 Hours of Operation: Memorial Day through Labor Day: Saturdays and Sundays: 12 Noon to 4 p.m. Check the door if the sign says open or the flag is out- Beth or Louis may be in the office, and you're welcome to visit then." This reminds me a little of the Granite Falls Museum that's open like 3 Sundays in summer from 1:15p-1:30p but only if Joe's rheumatism isn't acting up. biggrin.gif I'm just joshing though 'cause these little museums are community/regional assets and many are just scraping by, so a thank you to all the volunteers and folks who staff them and keep 'em going!

outdoorgal

outdoorgal
PostWed Oct 12, 2005 6:15 pm 
I'm with you JimK. I grew up in Des Moines. Our number was TAylor 4-5484. Our neighbor's number was TRinity 8-6522.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Oct 12, 2005 9:09 pm 
Chief Paulina wrote:
Roseburg, OR.
I have an art deco cornucopia style vase made in Roseburg, OR. I haven't done any research, but I understand Roseburg made some darn fine vases. That's all I know about Roseburg (well, except that the telephone exchange was ORchard! up.gif)

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
WTCrocker

WTCrocker
PostThu Oct 13, 2005 10:31 am 
WEbster5-#### in Veneta, Oregon. Like Kleet I blocked the last digits as my mom is still using that number. We had a party line and our ring was two short rings. We only used the last 4 digits if calling within our exchange and had to go thru the operator for long distance. It was the standard black rotary with the high cradle and a straight (not coiled) cord. And the instrument was property of Ma Bell. NOBODY had extensions in different rooms. There were no tele-marketers.

This the year!!
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostThu Oct 13, 2005 10:44 am 
Granite Falls was OWen-1 (691) My Grandma's was MUtual; she lived in Seattle. I like the old names- they made it seem a bit more human.

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf