Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Thumbnail sizes?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Which do you prefer?
Old very large size
61%
 61%  [ 24 ]
New slightly smaller size
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
Even smaller size
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 39

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 12:58 pm 
So what do you guys think of the new thumbnail size? It's a little smaller than the old (flickr) size but this allows us to display up to 4 (instead of 3) thumbnails per page at the most common (1024x768) screen resolution. Do you prefer the old larger (flickr) size or the new slightly smaller size? I'm guessing dial up users prefer the smaller thumbnails as they load faster.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 1:04 pm 
I like the old size, but will understand if the dialup users want to go smaller.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 1:09 pm 
We can make it a user option (based on a setting in your profile). Main thing I'm curious about is if folks prefer the larger size and why.

mike

mike
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 1:20 pm 
From my perspective out at the end of a rusty wire, the new size doesn't make that much difference timewise but I can't really tell from your examples as I have to wait for the whole enchilada to download. You would have to break into two separate posts to judge download time of each. Also links to old size are broken. I may prefer the larger size because they are big enough to see without having to download the big picture which takes forever sometimes.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 1:56 pm 
Mike, to clarify, are you a dial up user? In some respects dial up users may prefer the larger thumbails for the reason you state (big enough so they don't have to click for the larger picture).

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 1:58 pm 
hi Tom, have you thought of simply using the 'thumbnail' size of thumbnails within a post? Thumbnails on Flickr are 100 x 75 pixels. In any event, photo thumbnails act as 'ads' for the visitor to click on the full photo. Whenever someone clicks on the thumbnails, they can see the larger size of the photo on a new page. I'd be fine with just little thumbnails on a Discussion Forum page, but with an option to view a medium or large format once I click on the thumbnail (same size as we see now upon clicking) I support your suggestion to select what size one sees upon clicking (Tom's post, above). I'd love a large photo size (I'm on broadband) but it would be good to have other size options as well. These are useful for all members - in situations such as when travelling to dialup locations for example. Thank you again for your good work on this site!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 2:04 pm 
Yeah, the smaller (100 pixel) thumbails are a little too small IMO. Not bad when there are a lot of pictures in a post, but if there are just one or two pictures in a post they seem a bit tiny. In any case, since we're now doing the thumbnailing here, we can make them any size. Perhaps giving the user an option to choose makes the most sense.

mike

mike
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 2:31 pm 
Tom wrote:
Mike, to clarify, are you a dial up user? In some respects dial up users may prefer the larger thumbails for the reason you state (big enough so they don't have to click for the larger picture).
yes, I'm dial up and too far from anything to improve my lot anytime soon frown.gif larger thumbs would be best.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 2:43 pm 
Dial up. Largest size, at least for posts. agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif I think I actually look at more full size pictures when I can see the "thumbnail" better. Okay to use traditional thumbnails for the galleries, when you get those going. And I hate choices, so how about making the largest size the default size, but letting folks who are in to "choosing" opt for an alternative? David

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 2:51 pm 
you know, I think a poll about thumbnail sizes would be useful

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 3:06 pm 
OK, added a poll above for those who are too shy to reply, but I'm more curious as why folks prefer the size they do than an ultimate tally.

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 3:18 pm 
Good idea on the poll. My vote is for the new size... up.gif

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 3:18 pm 
With the larger ones you have a choice. I enjoy reading along and seeing the pics without have to click on them. Especially if the person puts them in order with the story. After I have read it then I go back and (click)look at the ones that catch my eye. If they are all tiny you have to click to see them. the medium ones are ok too but I still like the bigger ones biggrin.gif .

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 3:30 pm 
Of the three, I prefer the old (bigger) size. You can actually enjoy the photo without needing to click on it.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
ree

ree
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 3:43 pm 
Bigger is better.