Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Don't worry. Just another Pombo joke.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
WTM

WTM
PostMon Oct 24, 2005 7:58 am 
Anybody want to buy a national park? Some congressman (I think his name is Pombo) is circulating a draft bill which proposes selling 15 of them. national park sale I think I heard (a couple of weeks ago) that Mr Pombo is not really serious about selling the parks. It's just a joke. But even if he did sell all 15 of them what difference would it make? After all these are small, obscure parks ... so who cares? Here's a list of the parks: -- Eugene O'Neill National Historical Site, Danville -- Alibates Flint Quarries National Monument, Texas -- Fort Bowie National Historical Site, Arizona -- Frederick Law Olmsted National Historical Site, Massachusetts -- Mary McLeod Bethune Council House, District of Columbia -- Minuteman Missile National Historic Site, South Dakota -- Thaddeus Kosciuszko National Memorial, Pennsylvania -- Thomas Stone National Historical Site, Maryland -- Aniakchak National Monument and Preserve, Alaska -- Bering Land Bridge National Preserve, Alaska -- Cape Krusenstern National Monument, Alaska -- Kobuk Valley National Park, Alaska -- Lake Clark National Park and Preserve, Alaska -- Noatak National Preserve, Alaska -- Yukon-Charley Rivers National Preserve, Alaska And then there's the issue of naming rights (which he also proposes selling off). When the revolution is over, many guide books will have to be rewritten. E.G.: This beautiful hike begins at the trailhead located at the end of the Sunkist Lemonade (TM) River Road. Proceed 5 miles up the Hostess Cupcake Trail (TM) to Twinkie Pass (TM) where there is an absolutely stunning view of Pepsicola Mt (TM). When I was a small kid, I used to listen to a song about a fantastic land full of lemonade springs and big rock candy mountains. That was was just a childish fantasy land But when a fantasy has billion dollar corporations behind it, dreams can come true.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostMon Oct 24, 2005 4:05 pm 
Lake Clark NP in Alaska isn't obscure anymore since Dick Preoneke (spl?) aka Man in the Wilderness fame. smile.gif Twin Lks where his cabin is is part of the NP I believe. I'm willing to bet L. Clark NP isn't very small either compared to most lower 48 NPs- just a guess. Damn if that show wasn't on PBS over the weekend again- yeah I watched again too. embarassedlaugh.gif Now Minuteman Missle Historic Site probably wouldn't raise as much of a stir if it was sold. There's at least one feller who bought and is living in an old Minuteman silo complex. cool.gif up.gif I don't get the Bering Land Bridge thing since it's under water now ain't it??? uhh.gif Maybe one of those underwater snorkel and scuba accessable parks- bring a drysuit. agree.gif

gary

gary
PostMon Oct 24, 2005 8:10 pm 
WTM wrote:
...When I was a small kid, I used to listen to a song about a fantastic land full of lemonade springs and big rock candy mountains. That was was just a childish fantasy land...
Was it this old depression blue-grass classic:
Quote:
---Big Rock Candy Mountain One evening as the sun went down and the jungle fire was burning Down the track came a hobo hiking and he said boys I'm not turning I'm headin for a land that's far away beside the crystal fountains So come with me we'll go and see the Big Rock Candy Mountains In the Big Rock Candy Mountains there's a land that's fair and bright Where the handouts grow on bushes and you sleep out every night Where the boxcars are all empty and the sun shines every day On the birds and the bees and the cigarette trees Where the lemonade springs where the bluebird sings In the Big Rock Candy Mountains In the Big Rock Candy Mountains all the cops have wooden legs And the bulldogs all have rubber teeth and the hens lay soft boiled eggs The farmer's trees are full of fruit and the barns are full of hay Oh, I'm bound to go where there ain't no snow Where the rain don't fall and the wind don't blow In the Big Rock Candy Mountains In the Big Rock Candy Mountains you never change your socks And the little streams of alcohol come a-trickling down the rocks The brakemen have to tip their hats and the railroad bulls are blind There's a lake of stew and of whiskey too You can paddle all around 'em in a big canoe In the Big Rock Candy Mountains In the Big Rock Candy Mountains the jails are made of tin And you can walk right out again as soon as you are in There ain't no short handled shovels, no axes saws or picks I'm a goin to stay where you sleep all day Where they hung the jerk that invented work In the Big Rock Candy Mountains I'll see you all this coming fall in the Big Rock Candy Mountains
I'd be most interested in the springs of alcohol souse.gif

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostMon Oct 24, 2005 10:08 pm 
Poor guy musta been disappointed when he found out that Rock Candy Mtn ain't so big and is right by Olympia. No alcohol springs and no grass either which I guess is how you go from bluegrass to the blues. The lower 48 parks mentioned there are all minor parks but those are some big Alaska parks. If you combine Rainier, Olympic and North Cascades it is about half the size of Lake Clark alone.

WTM

WTM
PostTue Oct 25, 2005 9:13 am 
Yes, Gary. That was the song. But I think I got a 'cleaned up version'. Nothing I can remember in the song about 'cigarette trees' and cops with wooden legs. The song, as I remember it, emphasized candy rather than booze. Maybe thats why I've been spending so much time at the dentist lately.

mike

mike
PostSun Oct 30, 2005 1:09 pm 
Quote:
I think I heard (a couple of weeks ago) that Mr Pombo is not really serious about selling the parks. It's just a joke.
Not really a joke but rather a thinly veiled threat designed to get concessions on some of his other equally nefarious bills.

silence

silence
PostTue Nov 01, 2005 12:55 pm 
Go here to find out more about Pombo: http://www.pombointheirpocket.org/ His anti-environmental positions (a pdf) tells a lot.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Nov 10, 2005 12:37 pm 
Pombo's at it again. rolleyes.gif
Quote:
As many as 20 million acres of public land could be sold under an obscure but sweeping change in mining law tucked into a budget bill up for a vote in the House.
Full text of the article here.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?