Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > URGENT - PLEASE TAKE ACTION NOW TO SAVE ANWR!!!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
silence

silence
PostFri Oct 28, 2005 1:44 pm 
I feel very strongly about saving the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge from Big Oil. Over the past few years I've sent many letters to our members of Congress imploring them to save this fragile wilderness and the wildlife at risk there. Next week the Senate is planning its final vote, with a full House vote scheduled the week after. The vote to save the Arctic Refuge will be very close and your help is needed. You can make a difference! Let your voices be heard. Please go here and send a personal message to your representatives in Congress NOW: http://action.defenders.org/site/PageServer?pagename=act_homepage Don't forget to spread the word to your friends and relatives, too! This is our LAST CHANCE TO SAVE THE ARCTIC. Washington's Senators Murray and Cantwell, as well as most of our local House members, have consistently voted to protect the the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge from drilling. Sending them a personal email message now will reinforce their knowledge that we're behind them 100% in this in this battle. It's also extremely important to get the word out ASAP to friends and relatives across the nation, esp those who may be unaware that their representatives are voting for Big Oil. To see their voting records go here: http://www.savearcticrefuge.org/sections/leg.html Thanks for your help and concern!

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Nov 01, 2005 8:37 pm 
thanks for the mailing lists!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Nov 01, 2005 9:39 pm 
I'm for drilling big time! Frankly I think you're foolish if you think that drilling in such a small area will adversely effect the 2+ million acres of ANWR. The oil companies are not the DEVIL for gods sake. Electricity does NOT come from the wall. We ALL pay a price for our modern conveniences. Get over it and grow up already.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Nov 01, 2005 9:40 pm 
NO I don't want too tongue.gif (as I throw myself on the floor kicking and screaming)

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostTue Nov 01, 2005 9:48 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I'm for drilling big time!
I agree agree.gif
Backpacker Joe wrote:
The oil companies are not the DEVIL for gods sake.
I di$agree devilsmile.gif tongue.gif

Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Nov 01, 2005 9:53 pm 
Quote:
Frankly I think you're foolish if you think that drilling in such a small area will adversely effect the 2+ million acres of ANWR
the problem is; it will turn into the whole area just like Texas. Oh wait isn't there more room in Texas for more drilling why don't they suck the life out of there first it is already ruined. You give then an inch they take 2 millon acres

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Nov 01, 2005 10:23 pm 
Tazz wrote:
Quote:
Frankly I think you're foolish if you think that drilling in such a small area will adversely effect the 2+ million acres of ANWR
the problem is; it will turn into the whole area just like Texas. Oh wait isn't there more room in Texas for more drilling why don't they suck the life out of there first it is already ruined. You give then an inch they take 2 millon acres
That MAY be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! The wacko enviro freaks said the same thing about the original pipe line. "Oh its going to KILL the caribou." Oh the world will never survive" "Oh the sky is falling" TOTAL BS. there are MORE caribou today than ever before. The darn things HANG out next to the pipe line because it's WARM! Get a grip please. The proposition that the oil companies WANT to RUIN the planet for profit is total idiocy! How about some rational thinking PLEASE!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Nov 01, 2005 10:32 pm 
ykm.gif who needs to get a grip? relax now and breath. IN...OUT.... ahhh thats better isn't it. biggrin.gif lol.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Nov 01, 2005 10:39 pm 
Everybody get a grip. It's not the end of the world, although it's certainly closer to the North Pole than Venezuela or the Perian Gulf. Don't these man made structures end up attracting animals too? I mean, we've had bear in Issaquah. hihi.gif mum.gif bagger.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Nov 01, 2005 10:56 pm 
"wacko...freaks...idiocy" I see only one person going overboard and irrational on this thread...I guess any disagreement with the party line brings a tirade of anger and nonsense. A perfect snapshot of why politics was banned from the site. I prefer Mtn Goat's understated approach: just use the links to say you support (or don't support) the drilling.

strider

strider
PostTue Nov 01, 2005 11:10 pm 
ANWR isn't the only battle line, Slugman.....
> Subject: Seven Days to Save Your Coast! > > Only Seven Days to Save Your Coast in Congress: > A bill aimed at opening all of America's most sensitive coastlines to >offshore drilling will be voted on, up or down, on the House Floor in only >a week, on November 7. House Leadership has chosen to hide offshore >drilling within a broader budget bill that is immune from any amendments, >so your own Representatives must now vote against "final passage" of what >is called the "Budget Reconciliation Package" to save your state's coastal >waters. Hastily approved by a party-line vote in the House Resources >Committee on October 26, the deceptively titled "Ocean State Options Act" >would immediately remove all of our existing coastal protections by quickly >rescinding the bipartisan offshore drilling moratorium that has been >renewed each year for twenty-four years. This treacherous proposal would >instead create a complex new bureaucracy requiring each state's legislature >and governor to continually agree to ask the Secretary of Interior, every >five years, for an additional extension of their state's protection, but >after ten years all protection for every state would be gone. The >Secretary of Interior could, at any time, deny continued coastal >protection, even while states would be continually coerced - with offers of >money - to allow offshore drilling. If that's not bad enough, the very >same Budget Reconciliation Package would also open the Arctic National >Wildlife Refuge to oil companies while opening our coast. The oil >industry, flush with record-setting profits, is now lobbying hard to get >this bill passed by the House of Representatives and signed into law before >coastal communities and the public can wake up to what is in this >last-minute legislation. Each American who cares about their favorite >coastal natural treasure now has a critical role to play in the upcoming >House vote. We need to alert the media in all coastal regions with our own >Op-Eds and calls to reporters, and above all, we must make calls to be >absolutely sure that our own Representatives will vote against final >passage of the Budget Reconciliation Act on November 7. This is a >history-making moment, and the future of our coast, forever, depends >entirely on what actions we each take in the next seven days. > > To get direct contact information such as the DC office phone number for >your Representative, you can visit http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/, or >go to http://www.house.gov/ You can also call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard >at (202) 224-3121 and ask for your Representative's office. > > _______________________________________________ > > Richard Charter > Co-Chair, National OCS Coalition > waterway@monitor.net > > (S.and please pass this message on, broadly)

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Nov 01, 2005 11:39 pm 
> Subject: cut and paste > I know the world is about to end (quickly) > so free to leave out this style of formatting > in the future. clown.gif > (and please pass this message on, broadly)

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Nov 01, 2005 11:49 pm 
Slugman wrote:
"wacko...freaks...idiocy" I see only one person going overboard and irrational on this thread...I guess any disagreement with the party line brings a tirade of anger and nonsense. A perfect snapshot of why politics was banned from the site. I prefer Mtn Goat's understated approach: just use the links to say you support (or don't support) the drilling.
I guess Sluggo is right. I have dropped to his level! My point was that radical lefties are trying to make the point that drilling in ANWR is the end of the world, and it's certainly not! They bitch about high fuel prices and wont let us do anything about it! The only answer to high fuel prices is MORE SUPPLY! We need to find more oil!!!!

Gil

Gil
PostWed Nov 02, 2005 12:06 am 
Actually, the problem is with the way oil companies want to drill in ANWR and the way "footprint" is defined. Previous Republican proposals would have limited development to a "footprint" of 2,000 acres, seemingly a drop in the bucket in the 20 million-acre wilderness. But the bills defined "footprint" as the amount of land covered by drilling wells and directly related equipment. Not included: the roads and pipelines connecting them, airfields, etc. Also, those 2,000 acres could be widely dispersed, leading to a lot of roads and pipelines. And now the recent Senate version dropped the reference to the limit. So, yes, if the development was limited to 2,000 acres all tightly compacted, then the effect on the wildlife refuge would be small. But there's nothing now to prevent a much larger area from being affected. It also would take up to 10 years for this oil to actually reach consumers even if we started now. So don't look for any quick relief at the pump.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostWed Nov 02, 2005 12:11 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
We need to find more oil!!!!
Yes, our OWN oil............we also need a new engine technology - I'm all for the Flux Capacitor up.gif
strider wrote:
> Subject: Seven Days to Save Your Coast! > > Only Seven Days to Save Your Coast in Congress: > A bill aimed at opening all of America's most sensitive coastlines to >offshore drilling will be voted on, up or down, on the House Floor in only >a week, on Nov.............
Hello, SailBOI wave.gif