Forum Index > Gear Talk > Hiking Boots for Northwest Winter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NavandWife

NavandWife
PostFri Nov 08, 2002 10:07 am 
Aloha, As the weather chills I realize that I may need to buy a new pair of hiking boots. Does one need a different boot for winter hiking? Does anyone have a reccomendation for a pair of women's boots that would do me well through a Northwest winter of hiking and some light backpacking?

"The Love of Mountains is Best" -Pre-1558 Greek inscription on the summit of Niesen, Switzerland.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostFri Nov 08, 2002 10:11 am 
There is a bunch to choose from. Whatever your choice, make sure it's Gortex material and well insulated. Some can be spendy, but well worth the extra dollars. BW smile.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Dante

Dante
PostFri Nov 08, 2002 10:51 am 
I've always used the same boots summer and winter. Right now that means a pair of the Asolos that won Backpacker's Editor's Choice Award a year or two ago. Took 'em snowshoeing last year. Worked fine. Assuming the last is appropriate for your foot, I recomment them highly. Try your regular summer boots on a winter day trip first if they are reasonably water resistant. Maybe you can save yourself some dough.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 08, 2002 11:39 am 
I agree, I've never gotten special boots for winter. The biggest factor in keeping your feet dry (and thus warm) is wearing gaitors! Of course, waterproofing helps too.

Wetfoot

Wetfoot
PostFri Nov 08, 2002 12:28 pm 
Hmmm, not sure I agree with the goretex suggestion for winter. Goretex seems to break down, and my toes get wet. I think a stout pair of boots that use regular waterproofing might work better in the long run. Depends on how often you get out. Goretex worked great for me the first bunch of hikes, then they leaked. Everything seems to leak in the winter. Snow manages to get past gaitors and waterproofing, even with plastic boots, if you are out a long time, or for multiple days. Well, what does everybody else think?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster

PostFri Nov 08, 2002 1:08 pm 
I agree with Wetfoot. The more you are out, the longer you are out, the better the chance of getting wet. I like owning a variety of boots and hiking shoes and choose from them accordingly depending on the trip and conditions. Of course gators help, but they leak too if you are out in wet conditions for a long time. and as far as goretex goes, I think it maybe the biggest hoax ever perpetrated on the public - next to the supposed moon landings of course. biggrin.gif wink.gif

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostFri Nov 08, 2002 6:49 pm 
Winter Hiking/backpacking
“Does anyone have a recommendation for a pair of women's boots that would do me well through a Northwest winter of hiking and some light backpacking?” I assume the missing word here is snow, and for hiking and backpacking in snow I would recommend an entry-level plastic boot such as the Koflach Degree. Second to the plastic boot, I would recommend a good thick leather boot combined with Isolator Insoles. Isolator Insoles will provide far superior insulation over regular insoles. As mentioned by previous posts, I would also include a good gaiter that will accommodate the boot of your choice. I would recommend against the so-called specialty insulated snow/hiking/snowshoe boots. shakehead.gif I believe that a good leather off trail or light mountaineering boot will be far superior. up.gif Lastly, Warm feet and warm hands have much more to do with a warm head than anything else. Get a balaclava. OR has some good light weight ones.