Forum Index > Trip Reports > Baker Lake Trail - Nov 6 2005
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostMon Nov 07, 2005 12:15 am 
Encouraged & enlightened by PMs with ajlec2000 (welcome!) I opted to make my first visit to the Baker Lake Trail. The trail description from the forest service gives a decent summary of what you will find... but it doesn't do justice to the lush moss, the gardens of mushrooms and the sheer majesty of the area. I snapped a million photos - and none of them captured that beauty (in my opinion).
Morning View from Hwy 20
Morning View from Hwy 20
Boat Launch View... Blue Skies finally!
Boat Launch View... Blue Skies finally!
One of many streams along the trail
One of many streams along the trail
Lake, Trees and low clouds
Lake, Trees and low clouds
Another small trail stream
Another small trail stream
Natural Trail Gateway
Natural Trail Gateway
Hills, snow, field, stream and lake
Hills, snow, field, stream and lake
Morning view from Hwy 20
Morning view from Hwy 20
With the constant tree cover, my eTrex was useless, so I'm not sure how far along the trail I went - but I turned around before reaching Maple Grove CG. There wasn't another soul on this trail today... very quiet the entire trip. No wildlife noted, except for a few birds... and the stump which I believe crawled out of this lake (probably on Halloween) and I could swear it stalked me all the way back to my vehicle.
Halloween Stump
Halloween Stump
I'll return to do the complete trail another time... hopefully with a buddy so we can stash a vehicle at the Baker River side. My only disappointment was that the low clouds prevented any views of Mt Baker and a lot of my lake shots were less enticing without interesting reflections of clouds in the water. There was just a slight trace of snow along part of FS Rd #11, but the trail and lake were completely snow free today. After my hike, I drove around the west side of the lake to check out Baker Lake Resort (closed for season) and the family friendly/wheelchair accessible Shadow of the Sentinels trail. This SotS trail is closed with a sign explaining about a fungus in some dead trees that poses a danger to not only other trees... but also to humans. The trail will reopen after they remove these infected trees and clean up the 'stuff'. I'm guessing this stuff must have given life to that aforementioned stalking stump. Happy trails, & thanks for reading! ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message